The 2020 March Meet (2 Viewers)

This is surely a great event I attended from the mid-sixties until 2012. I don't look to gripe. not my nature, but the one huge gripe I have about the modern day march Meet is....the ridiculously over-abundance of view blocking photographers and hanger-on railbirds who block your view. There are way too many. To prove a point to some newbies I met there on my last trip after moving down south, I walked right out of the staging lanes over to the left lane side and stood right at the guardwall.to get them a good whiff and show 'em how easy it was and how many annoying backsides you have to look at while in the stands. Wish Bangshift still did the show.

TopFuel@Lions
Talladega Short Track Announcer....home to Alabama's hot-bed of Super Late Model Racing!

The March Meet is not a race, really, as much as it is a social event. It is an excuse for old guys to get together, socialize, bench race, tell stories about the old days and play with their toys. For spectators, it is about recapturing the nostalgia of lost youth, validation of the "back in my day" crowd, not about the numbers on the scoreboards or who might take home the trophy this year. The cars going down the track is just a side show, a stage piece to the larger production. That's why the stands are empty Sunday during later rounds of eliminations.

And all of this is OK. Not everything has to be the most important thing in the world. Some things can just be because they are the way they were, or the way we want to fool ourselves into thinking they were. Some things can just be fun for the sake of being fun.

I was there yesterday and can tell you that was one of the biggest crowds I've seen in a long long time. Cars were parked past Zerker Road (~ a mile down Famoso Road).

Watching some live video on Facebook, it looks like there's a great crowd still in the stands today.

Last edited:
I was there yesterday and can tell you that was one of the biggest crowds I've seen in a long long time. Cars were parked past Zerker Road (~ a mile down Famoso Road).

Watching some live video on Facebook, it looks like there's a great crowd still in the stands today.

No kidding Gino. I walked out to my truck at 9am on Saturday and the field was packed with cars as was the street for probably a half mile.
The racing was great (5.54 for NFC) but the BEST PART had to be that there wasn't a single incident on the track and NO OIL DOWNS !!!!!

Word from the track is that Ron Capps is in the finals for AA/FA.

Dan, today seems to be a different story. :rolleyes:

Last edited:
This one is also special (well to me at least). DeAndre "The Fro" Fitzgerald who is the son of Monti and grandson of Cloy Fitzgerald, who for many years was the NHRA's Division 7 Tech Director wins the March Meet at 17 year-old and only getting is drivers' license 6 months ago. His now the youngest winner in the history of the March Meet.

Last edited:
Wow, Capps won AA/FA!!! If he ever gets out of the Big Show, he has a home here.
Wow, Capps won AA/FA!!! If he ever gets out of the Big Show, he has a home here.
Uh..., here is a photo of Ron (at left) watching his 'Hero' at Famoso when he was a little younger...!!! Grin.

Attachments

• Ron Watching Big 1.JPG
    Ron Watching Big 1.JPG
    627.9 KB · Views: 44
I'm surprised no one mentioned this but the Top Fuel Class was on Fox Sport 2 last night. Thou I didn't see it myself, others did.

On another note, word around the nitro pits was the High Speed Motorsports Team was going to take 2020 off, regroup and make it back out next year.

91522344_10213300582147395_6238760200136818688_n.jpg

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back