Tasca Gets Bullied While His Car Burns (1 Viewer)

I don't normally post, but this one scares me. For some reason, it seems that "someone" was able to redirect what part of the problem was here....if you watch the footage, it took 21 (TWENTY ONE !!!!!) seconds for the officials to get the latches open, THEN the body got hung up on the right side of the blower (injector).

If Bob had been unconscious and that fire was worse.........21 seconds????? For a driver to have to stand there and wait and watch for that length of time when you work in a world of thousandths of seconds would be unbearable..add adrenaline to that with a guy that's already pretty wound up, of course he's going to be pretty animated. For an official to remove him from harm's way is to be expected, but when you see the ineptitude of a normally professional organization coupled with the VERY obvious drawbacks of a poorly designed latching system, you can't help but feel Bob's anxiety at the time. Bad call on the Safety Safari member to be so direct, but you do what you think you need to when a situation arises and adrenaline starts to flow.
I think the more important issue we can see that needs addressed was an apparent lack of training on how to deal with the latching system in the event of an emergency.

Dos the safety crew that was working the finish line at Sonoma work together at all the races or are they working at this track only ?

Maybe it's a mix of traveling crew and local track crew ?

Dos the safety crew that was working the finish line at Sonoma work together at all the races or are they working at this track only ?

Maybe it's a mix of traveling crew and local track crew ?

Regular crew and Temporary Staffing Employees??? (Temp staffing has been utilized in Ennis in the past, and if there, why not around the country?)

Last edited:
Really? As a field race reporter Bob I would believe you recognize the difference between utter nonsense and an intelligent discussion / debate. How do I discredit myself when I simply question what relevance there is with insulting the retired Rick Stewart and bringing him into a a very valid discussion about a specific issue with Bob Tasca in Sonoma?

You didn't discredit any specific individuals, but it was more a point of discrediting the principle of those wanting to have a pointed discussion about a valid concern. Again, what relevance does insulting a retired Rick Stewart have to do with a small fire on Tasca's funny car in Sonoma? Trust me, I'm not mad. Whatever your opinions are of NHRA, they are yours and you are entitled to them.

However, I wonder if we are in High School where we need to blindly mock people because it may get a chuckle from the audience. That's where the "Grow Up" comment came from.

Jim, I believe Bob was referring to me, not you.

People on here called the IHRA the Circus. But how many years did you just have to look at the NHRA starting line to know you had found a bigger Circus?

I don't normally post, but this one scares me. For some reason, it seems that "someone" was able to redirect what part of the problem was here....if you watch the footage, it took 21 (TWENTY ONE !!!!!) seconds for the officials to get the latches open, THEN the body got hung up on the right side of the blower (injector).

If Bob had been unconscious and that fire was worse.........21 seconds????? For a driver to have to stand there and wait and watch for that length of time when you work in a world of thousandths of seconds would be unbearable..add adrenaline to that with a guy that's already pretty wound up, of course he's going to be pretty animated. For an official to remove him from harm's way is to be expected, but when you see the ineptitude of a normally professional organization coupled with the VERY obvious drawbacks of a poorly designed latching system, you can't help but feel Bob's anxiety at the time. Bad call on the Safety Safari member to be so direct, but you do what you think you need to when a situation arises and adrenaline starts to flow.
I think the more important issue we can see that needs addressed was an apparent lack of training on how to deal with the latching system in the event of an emergency.
Ed this is precisely why I started this thread. The guy struggling with the latch has no idea how it is works. Just watch him. That is clear. The body getting hung up on the blower happened an eon after the guy started trying to open the latch. It amounted to nothing and was simply used as an excuse. This incident and J Gray's show the FC drivers are in danger and something needs to be done about it RIGHT NOW before Seattle! The dude that went after Tasca nearly got his clock cleaned by Capps when he had no chute. He was actually trying to step into Capps way as if to say "I said turn. Do it.". That guy needs to go for everybody's safety.

The safety safari is not the same anymore. In order to save money the NHRA doesn't have the whole crew traveling the tour anymore. They pick up local safety crews from the track they are running at.

It is comments like these which often serve to discredit some of the members here on the Mater. A very valid discussion on safety, behavior, and a questionable rule change gets derailed with nonsensical comments like these

C'mon guys ... seriously??:mad:

Grow up.

C'mon Jim, you know John is right. Rick Stewart was a big drama queen. Sorry you have your nose so high in the air you can't see it.

Rick

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back