Tasca Gets Bullied While His Car Burns (1 Viewer)

parrotwhisperer

Nitro Member
Did anyone notice the pushing and shoving of Tasca by the Safety Safari guy after Tasca's last qualifying run at Sonoma? We don't know what was said, but it appeared Tasca was just trying to get a sense of urgency in the SS guys. The fire was burning pretty good on the mag side and could do a lot of expensive damage quickly. Worse than the shoving was the SS very obviously had no clue how to unlatch the body. Apparently they had no training on how the new latch system works and the fire just kept burning while the SS struggled with the latch.
Does the Driver/Owner group that K Bernstein used to head still exist? Who heads it now? KB would have been all over this on both fronts.

Did anyone notice the pushing and shoving of Tasca by the Safety Safari guy after Tasca's last qualifying run at Sonoma? We don't know what was said, but it appeared Tasca was just trying to get a sense of urgency in the SS guys. The fire was burning pretty good on the mag side and could do a lot of expensive damage quickly. Worse than the shoving was the SS very obviously had no clue how to unlatch the body. Apparently they had no training on how the new latch system works and the fire just kept burning while the SS struggled with the latch.
Does the Driver/Owner group that K Bernstein used to head still exist? Who heads it now? KB would have been all over this on both fronts.

Yes I did see the incident involving Tasca F/C and the safety safari, Quite obviously I saw something different than you did. I saw the car bang the blower and get a small fire going, than I saw the SS attempt to raise the body and obviously something got bent,broken,or jamed up which prevented the latch system from working properly, This has happened several times in years past.
You say Bobby got bullied while his car burned? Not hardley.
I suspect if you want to get a witch hunt going against the safety safari you will not find many car owners, drivers, fans or officials who will join you.
Your post just confirmed how deep your hatred is towards anything NHRA.

Looks to me like others saw what I saw and Tasca said exactly the view I expressed. If you listened to J Gray after his incident today you know how the racers feel about the latch system.

The SS guy who grabbed and pushed Tasca should not have gone that far. But, I figure Tasca will be punished for his knocking the guy's hands off him.
I was able to speak with a crew guy from a Top 5 funny car in Denver for a good while last weekend about that latching system.
He hates it and says it will not do its intended job.
However, he understands the NHRA had to do something after Hight's body tossing boomer.

I suspect if you want to get a witch hunt going against the safety safari you will not find many car owners, drivers, fans or officials who will join you.
Your post just confirmed how deep your hatred is towards anything NHRA.

You are 100% correct in public. In private, off the record, not so much.

I'll go on the unofficial record :) Since I'm not an official.

I saw a driver get out of his car, see flames, then try to alert the Safety Safari. In these high stress events, seconds seem like minutes, and Bob got pretty animated pretty quickly. He pushed the one Safety Safari Official that "sauntered" around the back of his car after wildly pointing to him, and the others that there was something that needed a bit more urgency than they were displaying. What he got in-return was an official who replied with an escalation of physical force, and only when the official had backed him quite a ways from the car, and against the wall, did Bob react throwing the officials hands off of his firesuit.

If NHRA fines Tasca, shame on them. Looking at the whole picture, they'll see Bob acts, not in a disrespectful way, but in an urgent "why are you ignoring my calls for help" way. I was sort of gobsmacked by the disinterest shown to an exiting driver and his attempts to get attention as the Safety Safari crew sort of went through the motions, oblivious to the driver's attempts at alerting them to a fire.

If anything, a little refresher course in situational awareness is needed, at least for that shutdown crew. Mind you, same guy (I'm pretty sure) that grabbed Tasca and pushed him to the retaining wall is the same one that almost got clipped by Capps in the shutdown because he was waving him to turn after a qual run, again, displaying a lack of attention. Any greenhorn would have seen the 'chutes didn't blossom properly, and he was approaching at a much higher rate of speed than most other cars at that point of the shutdown, yet here's that guy, sort of waving him to turn like he didn't even notice the extra 50mph Capps was carrying at that point. ESPN2 even did a slo-mo replay of this incident.

Last edited:
Was there a different turn off guy at this event? For some reason I noticed him a lot more than usual. Not saying that anything was done differently but for some reason he kept getting my attention while watching ESPN3.

Was there a different turn off guy at this event? For some reason I noticed him a lot more than usual. Not saying that anything was done differently but for some reason he kept getting my attention while watching ESPN3.

May be Rick "the clown" Stewart came out of retirement.

It is comments like these which often serve to discredit some of the members here on the Mater. A very valid discussion on safety, behavior, and a questionable rule change gets derailed with nonsensical comments like these

C'mon guys ... seriously??:mad:

Grow up.

Grow up? Who on the Mater did I discredit? I responded to a post about a NHRA crew member drawing attention to himself ask if the world's champion of drawing attention to himself at NHRA had come out of retirement. The NHRA has had nothing to do with safety for a long time. The Safety Safari is no different than Compton or Light, get the money and get out as fast as you can.

Get mad all you want.

Grow up? Who on the Mater did I discredit? I responded to a post about a NHRA crew member drawing attention to himself ask if the world's champion of drawing attention to himself at NHRA had come out of retirement. The NHRA has had nothing to do with safety for a long time. The Safety Safari is no different than Compton or Light, get the money and get out as fast as you can.

Get mad all you want.

You discredited yourself. More than once.

You discredited yourself. More than once.
Really? As a field race reporter Bob I would believe you recognize the difference between utter nonsense and an intelligent discussion / debate. How do I discredit myself when I simply question what relevance there is with insulting the retired Rick Stewart and bringing him into a a very valid discussion about a specific issue with Bob Tasca in Sonoma?

Get mad all you want.
You didn't discredit any specific individuals, but it was more a point of discrediting the principle of those wanting to have a pointed discussion about a valid concern. Again, what relevance does insulting a retired Rick Stewart have to do with a small fire on Tasca's funny car in Sonoma? Trust me, I'm not mad. Whatever your opinions are of NHRA, they are yours and you are entitled to them.

However, I wonder if we are in High School where we need to blindly mock people because it may get a chuckle from the audience. That's where the "Grow Up" comment came from.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back