T/F front wheel mileage sensors (1 Viewer)

Just thinking, wheel sensors on the back wheel would count the revolutions of the tire thus compute how many times the wheel rotated. That said 1000ft. divided by that number would indicate the slippage or traction attained. The lower the number the better the traction. Just sayin'

On an average run In 1000 ft I wonder how far the rear tire travel is equal to if they were not slipping? I know it may very drastically depending on the conditions.

On an average run In 1000 ft I wonder how far the rear tire travel is equal to if they were not slipping? I know it may very drastically depending on the conditions.

The rear tires are spinning all the way down the track on a good run. On Robert Hight's 3.96 run in Q2 last week the rear tires traveled 1043.27 feet. Which is a lot. The general rule is 3% ish.

Alan

The rear tires are spinning all the way down the track on a good run. On Robert Hight's 3.96 run in Q2 last week the rear tires traveled 1043.27 feet. Which is a lot. The general rule is 3% ish.

Alan

Is that data taken from a sensor similar to the front wheel?

Alan

Won't they travel further due to the tire growth or does that not play as much of a factor? Go easy on me I failed geometry. 😂

I'm familiar with the name Michael Faraday. He invented his device in 1831!!! Wow.... Kinda off the subject, but have you noticed how many things have been invented since 1800? Trains, photography, aerial balloons (late 1700's), telegraph, steam engines, telephones, light bulbs, electric currents (Tesla & Edison), motion pictures, radio, on and on. All of that has laid the foundation for what we have today. Ya gotta wonder why didn't some one come up with this stuff 1000 years ago? "A time for everything..."

If Dick Kraft & other drag racing pioneers were alive today, I bet they would be able to pick up on what modern day drag racers are doing. They laid the foundation.

Cliff, it might not be 1000 years ago, but pull up Google and type in 'Leonardo da Vinci inventions' to see all of his amazing ideas from 500 years ago. Most people think of da Vinci as the guy who painted the Mona Lisa or the Last Supper, but he was much more than just an artist. His engineering and scientific skills were off the charts. His Moving Cart (essentially the first known drawings of a self propelled automobile) The Rack and Pinion, the Flywheel, the Parachute, all inventions of da Vinci. Not to mention his helicopter (ariel screw flying device), hang glider, scuba gear/underwater suit, bridge systems, weapon systems, etc. You can spend hours and hours reading about da Vinci (as I have) he is that amazing.

Is that data taken from a sensor similar to the front wheel?

It's taken from the driveshaft sensor, count the revolutions, factor in the gear ratio (3.20) tire height, and do the math.
There is some growth, but not nearly as much as say, on the burnout. With no downforce the tires on the burnout really stand up. But with the downforce the car makes at speed, and remember that by 330' they are in the 200 MPH neighborhood. the tires are being squished down pretty good.

Alan

It's taken from the driveshaft sensor, count the revolutions, factor in the gear ratio (3.20) tire height, and do the math.
There is some growth, but not nearly as much as say, on the burnout. With no downforce the tires on the burnout really stand up. But with the downforce the car makes at speed, and remember that by 330' they are in the 200 MPH neighborhood. the tires are being squished down pretty good.

Alan

Interesting. I thought about the driveshaft sensor after I posted that. The tire factor would have been my next question.
Thanks

Last edited:
Figure 2-1: Drag Tire Schematic
A schematic of a dragster tire is depicted in Figure 2-1 above. In this schematic the tire contact angles, tread radius, tread sidewall twisting-straightening, and rotational angles are all shown. Hallum states that the normal force applied to the ground under the compressed area is about equal to the rate of change of vertical tread momentum at the contact. This force, for one tire is given by equation ( 2-1).

One has to wonder if wheel counting technology hasn't made it's way to sportsman and bracket racing.

Wheel counting technology has been applied to 18-wheelers for 60+ years (mechanical type) ; the high-tech electronic versions have only been in use over the past decade.

Cliff, it might not be 1000 years ago, but pull up Google and type in 'Leonardo da Vinci inventions' to see all of his amazing ideas from 500 years ago. Most people think of da Vinci as the guy who painted the Mona Lisa or the Last Supper, but he was much more than just an artist. His engineering and scientific skills were off the charts. His Moving Cart (essentially the first known drawings of a self propelled automobile) The Rack and Pinion, the Flywheel, the Parachute, all inventions of da Vinci. Not to mention his helicopter (ariel screw flying device), hang glider, scuba gear/underwater suit, bridge systems, weapon systems, etc. You can spend hours and hours reading about da Vinci (as I have) he is that amazing.

Hi Frank. I was in College Station, Texas last year, home of the George HW Bush Prez. Library. They had a display of da Vinci inventions, and a lot of them were replicated so you could see what they looked like. You are so right, that man was looking into the future. Some of his stuff was used in warfare, like a "house" that soilders carried into battle. Was like a tank in a way & enemy soilders couldn't penetrate it with arrows, etc. He had lots of ideas (helicopter) that I guess they just didn't have the technology to build. Gotta wonder what would have happened if he'd been born in the 1850's.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back