T/D Diesel at Seattle (1 Viewer)

Cliff

Nitro Member
Racer named John Robinson running T/D, powered by Cummings diesel. Q at 6.44 - 220.44. Lost rd 1 at 6.51 on a 6.40 dial. But now I'm wondering just how quick & fast anyone has gone with a diesel dragster. 6.44 is pretty stout.

I think I heard on WFO that the record is 6.31 at 231. We race with him a lot down in Texas. You just don't want to choose the lane downwind of him ... you may not be able to see the tree.

Its a CUMMINS not a Cummings...............yes they are impressive I love me some diesel drag racing. A lot of those trucks are daily drivers then they go out to the track and bust out 9-10 second runs.

OK Ken, jut cuz I can't spell... :) But I have always heard the Cummins were the best engines for pick ups. We have a few hot trucks around here, & if they nail it, the big black cloud comes out the exhaust, & you hear the howl from the engine. WHOOP!

One impressive thing that you learn from him listening to the WFO interview is that he's using a stock crank with no issues (something the Suzuki PSB guys dream about like winning the lotto).

Also he's swapping feet with a clutch and Lenco tranny, and turns 5100 rpm at full song. Uses basically the same clutch set up as a TAFC but one more clutch disk because of the monster torque and low terminal RPM.

He also said that tuning the stock daily drivers is a big part of his business ... says for $600-$800 he can give you 200 additional horsepower.

Last edited:
OK Ken, jut cuz I can't spell... :) But I have always heard the Cummins were the best engines for pick ups. We have a few hot trucks around here, & if they nail it, the big black cloud comes out the exhaust, & you hear the howl from the engine. WHOOP!

We, wife and I follow the NTPA also, there is some crazy HP to Torque numbers. I am blessed the wife loves this stuff too, makes it easy to plan weekend events.

We, wife and I follow the NTPA also, there is some crazy HP to Torque numbers. I am blessed the wife loves this stuff too, makes it easy to plan weekend events.

You ever run into Veney? I don't know where you're located, but I saw him and his wife with their mini over at Fort Recovery in Ohio a couple of years ago. That's definitely something I could sink my teeth into.

Sean D

Yes I have at Enderle, do you know Jeff Fowler?? he used to be one of my customers when I had the tool business. He has developed a lot of product. I am just east of National Trail raceway about 2 miles. Minis are crazy, kind of the Altered of tractor pulling.

Racer named John Robinson running T/D, powered by Cummings diesel. Q at 6.44 - 220.44. Lost rd 1 at 6.51 on a 6.40 dial. But now I'm wondering just how quick & fast anyone has gone with a diesel dragster. 6.44 is pretty stout.

We were thinking the same thing at the Mile Highs. Robinson qualified 10th with a 6.670 which is flat out moving at this altitude. He also had the 2nd fastest speed out of the 28 dragsters who qualified, at 214.59. We were walking through the nitro pits adjacent to the staging lanes when they called Top Dragster to the lanes to be paired up for round 1 on Saturday afternoon. We walked over to check it out and within minutes there was a pretty big crowd around the car marveling at the powerplant between the rails. It really is unique looking. After an hour rain delay, he unfortunately lost in the first round. The turbos didn't spool like they did in qualifying and the car barely moved once the green light came on. Almost like there was some sort of throttle stop on it by accident. Anyway, when the car does spool up correctly and makes a clean run (can you really say 'clean run' when there is black smoke pouring out like crazy???) it sure is pretty entertaining to watch.

Imagine the crowd you would have if you ran Nitro and deisel trucks as "filler", no-one would ever leave the stands.

You ever run into Veney? I don't know where you're located, but I saw him and his wife with their mini over at Fort Recovery in Ohio a couple of years ago. That's definitely something I could sink my teeth into.

Sean D

I saw Veney's mini-rod at the Sullivan Memorial Pull in Boone County, Kentucky a few years back. His wife gets out in front of the puller and backs him up just like she did when he was drag racing. Was VERY cool to see.

The mini-rods are kinda nuts, if I was going pulling it would be Farm Stock or Super Stock Tractor.

EDIT: Something like this ...

John Deere.jpg

Last edited:
Yes I have at Enderle, do you know Jeff Fowler?? he used to be one of my customers when I had the tool business. He has developed a lot of product. I am just east of National Trail raceway about 2 miles. Minis are crazy, kind of the Altered of tractor pulling.

I don't know Fowler, but I've heard his name several times. I've got a good friend who follows the tractor pull scene in this region fairly close and he's mentioned him on many occasions. As for the altered comparison, that's what made him ask me to go to Fort Recovery in the first place. I was driving a blown altered for a couple of guys and after he came to the track with us one night, he said, "You gotta go with me to Fort Recovery and see these minis". It was absolutely awesome!

I saw Veney's mini-rod at the Sullivan Memorial Pull in Boone County, Kentucky a few years back. His wife gets out in front of the puller and backs him up just like she did when he was drag racing. Was VERY cool to see.

The mini-rods are kinda nuts, if I was going pulling it would be Farm Stock or Super Stock Tractor.

EDIT: Something like this ...

View attachment 4718

She was doing the same that night at Fort Recovery. When I went back to the pits, it was just the two of them, and as far as I'm concerned, they had the best looking mini on the grounds that night. When I asked him if he missed drag racing, he immediately said, "Nope". Said he missed the people a great deal, but that the pulling deal was much more his speed now that they were getting to the point they were in age.

Sean D

You know what's wild? Tractors use wrinkle wall tires! Saw some footage & was surprised they used tires like that. Guess they need tires like that, especially the monsters with 4-5 engines. Boy I love watching those tractors.

Just saw a photo of John Robinson's dragster, in the new issue of National Dragster. Photo shot at Bandimere, car doing a burnout with black smoke in the air. Cool!!!

Yeah, the car runs great, but I don't like the amount of soot it covers the starting line staff/fans and track with.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back