Stott breaks new ground in ADRL (1 Viewer)

Stott breaks new ground in ADRL

VALDOSTA, Ga. (May 7, 2007) - For decades Quain Stott has been drag racing. If it had doors on it, Stott has probably tuned it up and took it to a race. His early career experiences tuning and racing many types of cars paid big dividends at the ADRL Camp Motorsport Georgia Drags this past weekend.

The North Carolinian and 2006 IHRA Torco Comp Plus Pro Mod champion nearly missed the race. It's not uncommon for Stott and his crew to put the Torco powered LeeBoy Corvette through hundreds of testing laps in a season. If the pace for this season is any indication, 200 laps will be a starting point.

"We were out testing our outlaw car earlier in the week," explained Stott, who has the distinction of being a successful tuner and driver for both a nitrous injected and blower Pro Mod cars. "The screw blower is an entirely new set up for us," he added. "After we broke in testing I was about ready to just take it home and park it. But, the ADRL fans are always so good to us and I promised Tommy [D'Aprile] I would help him tune his car. So, we were going to be there no matter what it took."

So, when Stott showed up in Valdosta, it was not without reservation. "I like to test," said Stott. "Testing helps us to know exactly what the car likes and what it wants to do in different situations. Coming into Valdosta we only had six passes on the car and some of those were just shake down runs. Testing in front of a big crowd like we had in Valdosta is not ideal. We didn't come there to test - we came to win."

With one last qualifying chance, Stott would find his way into the field. "That screw blower makes so much boost, you really just have to find a way to harness all that power and get it down the track, Stott said.

But, once Stott found the combination and made the race, he knew what he wanted to do in eliminations. In round one, Stott was able to set low ET with a 3.85ET @ 190MPH in the 1/8th mile. What made that lap interesting? The blower belt kicked off the motor just 3.2 seconds into the run. "That may have been a 70's [3.79ET or less] pass," crew chief Brandon Howard would explain after the race.

Stott would bow out in the quarter-finals after a tire shaking pass left him just short of being first to the stripe.

Stott also helped tune Tommy D'Aprile to a semi-final appearance in a brand new race car. "Tommy's a great guy and one heck of a driver," Stott said. "He got comfortable quickly in that car and we were able to find a tune-up that ran well. It was a great weekend. I hope we can do it again real soon."

Stott and his crew are currently studying the ADRL schedule and hope to attend several of the races this season. While a scheduled has not been finalized, Stott hoped to make the next stop on the ADRL tour, the AMS Staff Leasing Summer Drags, June 1-2 in Huntsville, Ala.

Quain Stott Drag Racing partners with high performance companies like, LeeBoy Equipment, Torco Race Fuels, Richmond Gear, Mickey Thompson Tires, NGK Spark Plugs, Auto Meter, Stroud Safety, Santhuff Shocks, Fulton Race Engines, Stroupe Race Cars and Spartan Crank Shafts.

To learn more about LeeBoy Equipment, visit Leeboy

To learn more about Torco Racing Fuels, visit Torco Racing Fuels

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back