Stock and Super Stock @ US Nats. What do you think of this NHRA ruling? (1 Viewer)

Mike

Nitro Member
copied from NHRAracer:

"NHRA has announced that the Automatic Horsepower Factoring system will not be used during this year’s Dodge Power Brokers NHRA U.S. Nationals. As a result, runs made by Stock and Super Stock competitors at any time during the event will not count towards class averages, nor will they be used to trigger index or horsepower adjustments.

This decision was reached as the result of competitor requests and multiple conversations with members of the Stock and Super Stock Sportsman Racer’s Advisory Council (SRAC). During those discussions, a significant number of competitors expressed the desire to show the full performance potential of their cars during NHRA’s most prestigious event without fear of future horsepower and/or index penalties.

The AFHS will remain in effect for all other NHRA Camping World National and Lucas Oil Series divisional events."

Thoughts?

copied from NHRAracer:

"NHRA has announced that the Automatic Horsepower Factoring system will not be used during this year’s Dodge Power Brokers NHRA U.S. Nationals. As a result, runs made by Stock and Super Stock competitors at any time during the event will not count towards class averages, nor will they be used to trigger index or horsepower adjustments.

This decision was reached as the result of competitor requests and multiple conversations with members of the Stock and Super Stock Sportsman Racer’s Advisory Council (SRAC). During those discussions, a significant number of competitors expressed the desire to show the full performance potential of their cars during NHRA’s most prestigious event without fear of future horsepower and/or index penalties.

The AFHS will remain in effect for all other NHRA Camping World National and Lucas Oil Series divisional events."

Thoughts?
I think they did this a couple of years ago. I like the idea that way you can see who been sandbagging or working hard on their combos. I wish I could go this year just to see stock/superstock class.

yes. a great way to see who's on top of their combo. light oil. ice. less weight. wish i could go too for S/SS.
class will be great. hope they have enough techs in tear down barn.

Last edited:
This is not a new thing, it has been done for many years at Indy. Winning Class at Indy is still a Big Deal and this will let everyone come out and show their stuff without worry of being hit with horsepower. It's also interesting because guys will massage a combination and sit on it just for this one event, where they can qualify 2 seconds+ under the index.

I think it's Awesome!

Alan

Class eliminations at Indy has always been special. I was pretty young, but I remember my dad running the A/A class at Indy in '71, the lanes had to have 12-16 A/As waiting to run. It was pretty awesome. And I may be wrong, but I think back then you had to win your class to get into final eliminations, in the case of A/A it was Comp.

Never thought about it really.
While I can kinda' figger' the "Super .90" classes, the ones with the Indexes and adjustment and pick your handicap, give me a headache.

As a general principle, why change the deal for one race? I mean, what about the guy/gal who's tailored his entire program to "run the number"?

Never thought about it really.
While I can kinda' figger' the "Super .90" classes, the ones with the Indexes and adjustment and pick your handicap, give me a headache.

As a general principle, why change the deal for one race? I mean, what about the guy/gal who's tailored his entire program to "run the number"?
jim, they still have to run their dial when they are racing in eliminations, but they run for the coveted indy class trophies on wed. or thursday, before eliminations begin.
heads up with other cars in their same category (C/SA for example) if there are 8 C/SA's on the property, they can all let it hang out and run as far under their
nat. index as they want, without fear of being penalized.......AND, if you meet up with another car in your class during eliminations, then same deal. it's a heads up race and let
it all hang out, again without fear of HP/Index penalties.

Last edited:
Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back