Steve Torrence seeking more success at Auto Club Finals (1 Viewer)

Steve Torrence returns to Auto Club Raceway in Pomona with the incentive to see just how quick the Torrence Racing/Capco Contractors Inc. Top Fuel dragster can run.

The Automobile Club of Southern California NHRA Finals, Nov. 10-13, will be the fourth event with his new team and he’s already been to one semifinal round.

“The team has been doing well. Crew chief Richard Hogan is doing a good job of tuning the car and we are having fun,” said Torrence, who missed 11 races while assembling the family-owned project.

“Our goal is to learn as much as we can in these races to get ready for next year. We’ve had some success and I can’t complain, but I’ve always wanted to win one of these races. And this is the last chance I have to get one of the special pewter Wallys (NHRA’s 60th anniversary winner’s trophy).”

Steve took a look at the trophy his dad Billy took home after winning the Super Comp title at Las Vegas two weeks ago and realized he is the only Torrence Racing car that hasn’t won in 2011.

“We have several Sportsman buddies who have Capco decals on their cars, and they have won at least once, so I guess it’s time for me to do something about it,” Torrence said with a smile.

Others with the coveted trophies are Division 7 Top Sportsman champion Todd Stewart, Roger Warren in Super Gas and Gary Stinnett in Super Comp.

“We want to have a good weekend at the track and come back at full force when the 2012 season starts,” added Torrence.

The next race, the 52nd O’Reilly Auto Parts Winternationals, is Feb. 9-12 at Pomona.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back