TORRENCE WINS FINALS, CHAMPIONSHIP (1 Viewer)

Torrence logo.jpg

TORRENCE WINS FINALS, CHAMPIONSHIP

POMONA, Calif. – Steve Torrence raced to his 11th win of the 2021 season, the 51st of his Top Fuel career Sunday, driving his Capco Contractors dragster to victory in the 56th annual Auto Club Finals and, in the process, securing an historic fourth consecutive NHRA series championship.
The 38-year-old Texan beat close friend Antron Brown in a final round match at Auto Club Raceway that proved somewhat anticlimactic after Brittany Force, the only driver who entered the race with any chance of overtaking him for the Camping World tour championship, failed to advance out of the first round.

FINAL ROUND RESULTS
Top Fuel – Steve Torrence, Capco Contractors dragster, 3.759 seconds, 317.12 mph, def. Antron Brown, Matco Tools dragster, 3.803, 312.21 mph.
Funny Car – Bob Tasca III, Motorcraft Ford Mustang, 3.955 seconds, 321.65 mph, def. Alexis DeJoria, Bandero Tequila Toyota Camry, 3.974, 322.58 mph.
Pro Stock – Greg Anderson, HendricksCars.com Chevy Camaro, 6.574 seconds, 208.23 mph, def. Kyle Koretsky, Lucas Oil Chevy Camaro, 6.567, 209.56 mph.
By adding a fourth straight title to his resume, Torrence joined an exclusive group of seven pro drivers who have hoisted the championship trophy in four successive seasons.
He becomes just the second Top Fuel driver to satisfy the criterium, joining Tony Schumacher, who won six titles from 2004 through 2009. The other members of the group are Pro Stock drivers Bob Glidden and Lee Shepherd and Funny Car drivers Don Prudhomme, Kenny Bernstein and John Force.
Even though he won more than half the races contested during an abbreviated 20-race season and was the point leader after all but two events, Torrence couldn’t breathe easy until he reached the finish line ahead of an upset-minded Brandon Welch in the first round.

Finals 4.jpg
Dominance. Steve Torrence drove his Capco Contractors dragster to victory in Sunday's Auto Club Finals at Pomona, Calif., winning for the 11th time in 20 races this year and clinching his fourth straight NHRA Top Fuel championship.

That gave him a lead that Force could not have overcome even if she had beaten dad Billy Torrence, driver of the second Capco dragster, in their first round match, which she did not.
“These Capco boys are amazing,” Torrence said of a crew led by Richard Hogan and Bobby Lagana Jr. “It wasn’t always pretty today, but we just kept grinding and somehow we managed to find a way to win. Thanks to all the Capco employees who stand up, stand tall and stand with us every day.

Finals 3.jpg

Photos by Mark Rebilas
A family affair. Steve Torrence, right, shared the winners' circle and the Camping World Championship trophy with wife Natalie, left, and baby daughter Haven Charli after winning Sunday's Auto Club Finals in Pomona, Calif.

“To be out here with my mom, my dad, my wife Natalie and my little girl, I am truly blessed to be able to do what I do,” he said. “This is a great sport, a family sport and I’m just proud to be a part of it.”
Racing from his favorite starting position, No. 2, Torrence followed his victory over Welch by beating Doug Kalitta in round two and Cameron Ferre in the semifinals before beating Brown in the finale with a time of 3.759 seconds that delivered his 60th round win of the season.
After being ousted in the semifinals in the first two Countdown races, Torrence reached the finals in the last five and won three times. No one else had more than a single playoff win.

NHRA CAMPING WORLD TOUR CHAMPIONSHIP POINTS
TOP FUEL (FINAL standings, 2021 Camping World Tour Championship)
1. Steve Torrence, Kilgore, Texas, Capco Contractors dragster 2873

2. Brittany Force, Yorba Linda, Calif., FLAV-R-PAC/Monster Energy dragster 2637
3. Mike Salinas, San Jose, Calif., Scrappers Racing dragster 2619
4. Justin Ashley, Plainview, N.Y., Strutmasters dragster 2556
5. Billy Torrence, Kilgore, Texas, Capco Contractors dragster 2498
6. Antron Brown, Pittsboro, Ind., Matco Tools dragster 2427
7. Leah Pruett, MOPAR/Pennzoil/Komatsu dragster 2401
8. Clay Millican, Drummonds, Tenn., Parts Plus dragster 2384
9. Shawn Langdon, Indianapolis, Ind., DHL/Kalitta Air dragster 2310
10. Doug Kalitta, Ann Arbor, Mich., Mac Tools/Mobil 1 dragster 2290

CAPCO CONTRACTORS race summary: 56th Auto Club Finals
Qualifying – Steve Torrence, No. 2 at 3.698 seconds, 325.14 miles per hour.
Qualifying bonus points – 5 total; 3 for second quick time Q1; 2 for third quick time Q3
Round 1 – S. Torrence, 3.769, 326.00 mph, def. Brandon Welch, 3.877, 309.13 mph.
Round 2 – S. Torrence, 4.253, 200.89 mph, def. Doug Kalitta, 5.456, 121.55 mph.
Semifinals – S. Torrence, 3.813, 283.07 mph, def. Cameron Ferre, 3.831, 313.37 mph.
FINAL – Steve Torrence, 3.759, 317.12 mph, def. Antron Brown, 3.803, 312.21 mph.

Qualifying – Billy Torrence, No. 4 at 3.713 seconds, 330.47 miles per hour.
Qualifying bonus points – 5 total; 2 for third quick time Q1; 3 for second quick Q2
Round 1 – B. Torrence, 3.730, 328.30 mph, def. Brittany Force, 10.704, 74.05 mph.
Round 2 – B. Torrence, 3.730, 328.46 mph, lost to Antron Brown, 3.747, 327.35 mph.

Next Scheduled CAMPING WORLD TOUR Event:
62nd annual Lucas Oil Winternationals
Feb. 20, 2022
Auto Club Raceway
Pomona, Calif.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back