Speaking of music.... (1 Viewer)

Nitrohaulic

Nitro Member
Here's a topic I've never seen here. I'm a self taught 42 year old computer idiot who's just starting to look into the world of downloading music. What's everyone's opinion on devices and services? XM's been great but, knowing that every song I listen to will be one I like/not having to channel search would be nice.

I've seen little boom boxes for ipods, believe they were called docking stations. Are ipods the only ones those are available for? Would be nice to play the same stuff in the shop that I'll be listening to on the road during the week.

I see that Napster says you can listen to what you pay for as long as you continue to be a subscriber. So, you don't own the music? Even if it's on a portable device?

Doesn't anyone want to help the idiot....er.......Ron with his music problem. :D

I don't have this problem Ron. I just insert the CD and hit PLAY

Works everytime.:cool:

LOL, hey, I said idiot before you did! It just seems like XM's classic rock has gotten softer and softer. As widespread as this technology is, I figured there'd be a ton of people here who could share some info with a newbie, that I'd be about the last person on earth to go this route.

I've downloaded a few programs. Unless I'm missing something, it looks like all the classic rock on emusic is baloney/bands I've never heard of. Glad I looked into it and found that before I fell for their "free first 50 downloads with subscription" gimmick. I don't think there's 50 songs there that I'd want.

I was listening to 30 second samples on Napster and Bad Company's Bad Company is some kind of flakey knockoff. It looks like the band with the most authentic stuff there is the same band that got the brand name knocked out of the file sharing business, Metallica. Go figger. I don't see any of Def Leppard's old stuff on any of them. I just tried their tribute band on Napster and it's absolutely SICK!

I use my iPod religiously. Have XM (and XM portable unit) in the car, ready to switch to Sirius anyday now.
Play the ipod in the car, have an iHome on my desk at work.
Downloaded most of my songs from existing CDs and from iTunes.

I use my iPod religiously. Have XM (and XM portable unit) in the car, ready to switch to Sirius anyday now.
Play the ipod in the car, have an iHome on my desk at work.
Downloaded most of my songs from existing CDs and from iTunes.

Okay, here's a question. I never invested in CDs (LOL, neither kind), so most everything on my device will have to be downloaded from the internet. It's obvious that ipod is the best selling device. I do know I'm liking that Napster will let you listen to 30 second samples because, as noted above, I'm seeing that some versions of songs suck/are not originals. Can you download songs from Napster to an ipod?

LOL, I could easily ask if anyone here from the "free file sharing" era got most of the classic rock, but I don't mind paying so that the original artists and all the proper people make a profit, being the honest capitalist that I am.

I'm betting that licensing might be the holdup on some older stuff, such as Def Leppard and Bad Company. I remember watching Aerosmith's Steven Tyler on VH1's "Behind the Music" years ago and he was complaining that some agent from back in the 70s still gets 50% of everything that band makes, that the entire rest of the band has to split 50%.

Okay, here's a question. I never invested in CDs (LOL, neither kind), so most everything on my device will have to be downloaded from the internet. It's obvious that ipod is the best selling device. I do know I'm liking that Napster will let you listen to 30 second samples because, as noted above, I'm seeing that some versions of songs suck/are not originals. Can you download songs from Napster to an ipod?

No, you would download from iTunes. They have an excellent selection of classic tunes. I have downloaded Bad Company..some of their live stuff. iTunes also allows you that 30 second snippet to sample. They also offer a free tune of the week...a way to get you to listen to new music.

from Napster: Napster would like to work with your iPod, but Apple has chosen to keep both the iPod and iTunes closed off from Napster and every other digital music service. Napster's philosophy is different. A Napster subscription gives you more ways to discover and enjoy music on more players. For a list of Napster-compatible players Napster.com - Quick Help

No, you would download from iTunes. They have an excellent selection of classic tunes. I have downloaded Bad Company..some of their live stuff. iTunes also allows you that 30 second snippet to sample. They also offer a free tune of the week...a way to get you to listen to new music.

from Napster: Napster would like to work with your iPod, but Apple has chosen to keep both the iPod and iTunes closed off from Napster and every other digital music service. Napster's philosophy is different. A Napster subscription gives you more ways to discover and enjoy music on more players. For a list of Napster-compatible players Napster.com - Quick Help

Okay. I downloaded the itunes program. I either missed the 30 second sample part or you have to be a subscriber to access it? Appreciate the info. With as many views as this thread has had, I would have thought a lot more people would have weighed in. Maybe I'm not as technologically behind as I thought! :D

Still not sure which way I want to go, but at least I know what I can't do with the ipod/am a little better informed.

I went the Zune route and I'm VERY pleased with it. Zune is the Microsoft MP3 player for those of you that aren't aware of it. I looked at several different makes but found a deal for the 30 gig Zune for about $140.00 and decided to jump on it. The software is easy to use, and the Zune marketplace has TONS of music, I found some things I never thought I'd be able to find. You can also play stuff that's downloaded from other sources and convert to and from most any format. I picked up a home dock and a car dock as well. Check it out, you might like it!

I went the Zune route and I'm VERY pleased with it. Zune is the Microsoft MP3 player for those of you that aren't aware of it. I looked at several different makes but found a deal for the 30 gig Zune for about $140.00 and decided to jump on it. The software is easy to use, and the Zune marketplace has TONS of music, I found some things I never thought I'd be able to find. You can also play stuff that's downloaded from other sources and convert to and from most any format. I picked up a home dock and a car dock as well. Check it out, you might like it!

Will definitely look into it. Your's and Cheryl's are the kinds of replies I was looking for. What people have out there and what they like.

I would recommend the satellite, and with the merger of Sirius and XM, you will have the ability to get a wider range of channels and services and they do make docking stations for them. For my portable music, I have a scandisk 8gig mp3 player, and they do make a docking station for them as well. I will never use an ipod or itunes, way to proprietary.

I would recommend the satellite, and with the merger of Sirius and XM, you will have the ability to get a wider range of channels and services and they do make docking stations for them. For my portable music, I have a scandisk 8gig mp3 player, and they do make a docking station for them as well. I will never use an ipod or itunes, way to proprietary.

Yeah, that part of ipod is turning me off. Seems the more I look, the more there is to learn. It's the portable music that I'm interested in. I already have XM, and want to get beyond being limited to what someone decides to play for me. I want all my songs on a small device (not a whole CD just to get a song, or anything anywhere nearly as big as a CD player) that has home and car docking stations available for it.

Someone's got a birthday coming up and I'm figuring if I get her one first..."Well, I might as well get myself one so we can both use the same subscription...." :D Score much needed points around here along with getting something I want, anyways! :)

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back