Something ive always wondered.. (1 Viewer)

Dubs

Nitro Member
This may come off as a stupid question, but its something that I have been thinking about. Hillary Will has been without a primary sponsor pretty much this whole year. Shes backed by KB racing and Kalitta though. I was wondering, how does this race team make money/stay afloat. Is it a lose-money operation for Ken Black, because I know Hillary has said that if they don't get a sponsor then they won't be running next year. Do Ken Black/Kalitta have to take a lot out of their own pockets to fund the team, or do the associate sponsors cover a lot of the costs?

Other than a select few races, the car's mainly financed out of pocket by Ken Black! Hillary told me in Indy they have had some sponsor interest throughout the year, but nothing concrete. And if no sponsors are found before next season KB will Park the car!:rolleyes:

Here's one way to think of it. It's an advertising agency being run out of pocket, for a loss, catering to a few small clients, while waiting on that one big client that will make them profitable.

One can only run a business this way for only so long of a period of time. Some longer than others.:D

Here's one way to think of it. It's an advertising agency being run out of pocket, for a loss, catering to a few small clients, while waiting on that one big client that will make them profitable.

One can only run a business this way for only so long of a period of time. Some longer than others.:D

Good point, Hillary also told me that KB firmly believes it's much easier finding a sponsor while out there competing. Rather than sitting in the trailer.

Thats good. Thanks for the replies guys. I wonder what HW and the team is charging for a primary sponsorship. Must be a little more than usual as we see other teams, ie frank hawley, land deals pretty easily.

Kalitta just runs the operation. Ken Black pays all the bills.

Lance, that is great way of explaining it.

Chris, not sure what you mean about Frank Hawley. He is only running a few, select events. Did I miss an announcement? If they signed someone for next year I'm sure they worked on the deal for a long time.

CW, I respectfully disagree with your signature :D. Don't you worry about the long, skinny black car outta' Detroit. The racecar management deal Ken & Judy struck with Connie's group was genious. How else would you basically insert yourself (as a car owner) into the top 10, almost instantly? Imagine the alternative of finding a capable, rookie driver, hiring a crew and chief, building a maintenance shop, buying all the tooling, trucks and admin, making your own contacts for marketing, etc, etc.

We all know the NHRA rule about how many team cars you can field; but lets be honest - Hill's car IS a Kalitta car. No, Conrad doesn't foot the bill, but it's always been, 4 cars and one team. Look at the background anytime one of those vehicles are running. You will see DHL shirts, Mac Tools Shirts, and KB Racing shirts. It's truly a group effort. Hillary Will WILL be driving next year... I promise you that.

Its great seeing Hillary out there racing with the big dogs. She is a great personality for the sport. I always pull for her. I hope she is back next year.

Ok CW, I guess I can step it down a notch, seeing as you have a freaking tattoo ;) ! In all honesty though, I am sitting in my college dorm looking at the Hillary Will poster on the wall, while wearing my Will Power shirt haha.

Hillary Will should have her name in big gold flake letters on the side of her car , like drivers used to do . You would have to be blind to miss that , if there was a potential sponser watching then having something that eye catching could be a good thing .

Hillary Will should have her name in big gold flake letters on the side of her car , like drivers used to do . You would have to be blind to miss that , if there was a potential sponser watching then having something that eye catching could be a good thing .

Actually William last year when they had that flashy paintjob, nobody inquired about Sponsorship since everyone thought the car was sponsored! Which is why they left it all black for that reason. Personally I think all these ALL Black or ALL white cars are Boring! That's why I miss Mike Strasburg, he always has a nice looking Car! ;)

Actually William last year when they had that flashy paintjob, nobody inquired about Sponsorship since everyone thought the car was sponsored! Which is why they left it all black for that reason. Personally I think all these ALL Black or ALL white cars are Boring! That's why I miss Mike Strasburg, he always has a nice looking Car! ;)

Yeah but it doesnt have to be a flashy paint job , just like put her name in big letters . Then if someone who may not know who that car is then they would know . Sort of like how don garlits used to have his name in big letters on his car .

CW, I respectfully disagree with your signature .

My dauther is happy that you mentioned that. Oh you meant that your Hill's top fan. I gotta 8 yr old year that's willing to show you true Will power to keep her self appointed claim as her #1 fan lol:)

I know if i had a few extra million dollars i would sponsor Hillary. She is not doing half bad and all without a full time sponsor. Somebody will pick her up year, and it probably wont be me....

and I for one can't wait to meet her when she tours Down Under at Xmas.
(someone tell her it's summer time at Xmas down here so leave the woolly mittens behind and bring her bikini ;) )

Mark.

And that's what's so cool about any car Kalitta has ever had a hand in... they WILL run it, at ever race, they WILL show up, sponsored or not, which is something not very many racers can do or say.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back