Some good info about the NHRA / Fox Sports deal (1 Viewer)

So, surround sound for next year. Cool.

I wonder if they're getting their labor issues worked out? Haven't heard a thing about that.

posted this a few weeks ago on another 'ratings' thread.....these were numbers taken directly from racer.com with all 2016 events excluding vegas2 and pomona finals.

the nhra.com article states 2016 viewership up from 14million in 2015 to 34million in 2016.
the numbers below add up to 14,162,000....maybe add another 1.5m for last two races on fsn1......not even close to 34m.
there is no way there were an additional 18m viewers tuning in for qualifying shows and reruns in the middle of the night
or during weekday business hours.....maybe i'm not understanding something here for the article to state viewership doubled?

pomona 1: 640k viewers
phoenix: 645k viewers
gainesville: 514k viewers
vegas I: 1.3million viewers
4 wides: 475k viewers
houston: 605k viewers
atlanta: 1.37million viewers (followed nascar)
topeka: 551k viewers
englishtown: 1.1million viewers
bristol: 806k viewers
norwalk: 651k viewers
chicago: .33 rating: 500k viewers
denver: .61 902k viewers....live on fox network
sonoma: .65 998k viewers....live on fox network
seattle: .55 849k viewers....live on fox network (down from 2015 espn tape delay)
brainerd: .30 452k viewers....FSN1 live finals (down from 2015 espn tape delay)
indy: sunday: .24 376k viewers....fsn1 (down from 2015 espn .41 rating 600k viewers)
monday: 351k viewers.....(fsn1 and network)
charlotte: .20 272k viewers (.29 rating 2015 espn tape delay)
st. louis: .18 273k viewers
reading: .15 241k viewers....FSN1 live finals (.27 rating 2015 espn tape delay)
dallas: .18 291k viewers....FSN1 live finals (.24 rating 2015 espn tape delay)

posted this a few weeks ago on another 'ratings' thread.....these were numbers taken directly from racer.com with all 2016 events excluding vegas2 and pomona finals.

the nhra.com article states 2016 viewership up from 14million in 2015 to 34million in 2016.
the numbers below add up to 14,162,000....maybe add another 1.5m for last two races on fsn1......not even close to 34m.
there is no way there were an additional 18m viewers tuning in for qualifying shows and reruns in the middle of the night
or during weekday business hours.....

I think the answer is the opposite of what you say (middle of the night). Here, anyway, the replays are at all times. I've seen them in the afternoon, evening, and so on. So I'm one person, if I watch qualifying, eliminations, maybe tune in to a replay while dinner is cooking, maybe tune into another replay while waiting on someone to arrive I just went from 1 viewer to 4.

Honestly, the totals are nice to see, but I'm more interested in who's watching the last hour of the show. You know after the NASCAR fans (or whoever the lead-in is) have moved on.

The show is too long and discombobulated for the casual viewer to sit through. Heck, the season is over and I have yet to make it through an entire show.

or during weekday business hours.....maybe i'm not understanding something here for the article to state viewership doubled?

pomona 1: 640k viewers
phoenix: 645k viewers
gainesville: 514k viewers
vegas I: 1.3million viewers
4 wides: 475k viewers
houston: 605k viewers
atlanta: 1.37million viewers (followed nascar)
topeka: 551k viewers
englishtown: 1.1million viewers
bristol: 806k viewers
norwalk: 651k viewers
chicago: .33 rating: 500k viewers
denver: .61 902k viewers....live on fox network
sonoma: .65 998k viewers....live on fox network
seattle: .55 849k viewers....live on fox network (down from 2015 espn tape delay)
brainerd: .30 452k viewers....FSN1 live finals (down from 2015 espn tape delay)
indy: sunday: .24 376k viewers....fsn1 (down from 2015 espn .41 rating 600k viewers)
monday: 351k viewers.....(fsn1 and network)
charlotte: .20 272k viewers (.29 rating 2015 espn tape delay)
st. louis: .18 273k viewers
reading: .15 241k viewers....FSN1 live finals (.27 rating 2015 espn tape delay)
dallas: .18 291k viewers....FSN1 live finals (.24 rating 2015 espn tape delay)
Can't believe how low Indy was and after that it really got bad. Not good

Seems like we made major leaps forward in airtime, live shows and scheduling reliability. However, the dropping numbers back up the fact that the show quality is lacking. The shame of it is, some of the things that need improving are really basic.

Following NASCAR was the key to the decent ratings early in the year.

Start times in good time slots as well as much more dependable on time start times were huge. The coverage itself wasn't as good as before (odd camera angles, show pacing, repeat info). Hoping it was first year learning curve and they improve this year. Also I imagine they didn't just want to copy what was done before and wanted to put their own stamp on things. Perhaps they've seen borrowing what has worked isn't a bad thing. Really wish they would drop the live semi's, the dead time in between is much too long. I just zip through it now on DVR or have given up and actually missed the finals a time or two.

And I agree Joe, put Alan in the booth.

Another great Camera idea:

1. Put more cameras on the top of the cars like Greg Anderson has been using for years, If it affected his aero package he wouldn't have been using it for years.

2. Add more cameras on the Top class like Schumacher has been doing on the rear wing strut.

3. With the trend of Go-Pro, There has to be smaller cameras that they could stuff on a P/s Bike to give you a better angle of how close the run is front fork, wheelie bar. These things weigh grams/ oz. compared to the bulky camcorders that we used to use back in the day..

I am far from a production guy but maybe the genius' behind NHRA's production could use these ideas for better t.v. Ken Adelson...hint...hint.

I haven't watched as much this year as I had in the past, but I totally gave up on the shows after the Countdown had started. ALL you hear during those broadcasts are Countdown this and Countdown that. I get the season championship is a big deal, but when I am watching a race I am just as interested, maybe more interested, in what is happening in that race than I am in how it affects the championships. They need to give all the talk of points and "going rounds" and focus on the race going on...

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back