Snap On Leaving Doug Herbert (1 Viewer)

I don't think you'll be seeing SnapOn as a major sponsor of any NHRA team next year. It's the economy, period!

snap on will prob jump on board with JR Todd. His days with Lucas are numbered; or at least this is how it seems.

Q: didnt jr announce the geico deal? :confused:

AND...I dont think Firing KP infront of the S-O president in LV helped his case any...Look how the 'maters felt about it!!!...

wow, next year is shaping up to be a crappy season. we got about dozen major sponsors leaving, the prospect of 1000ft racing permanently. i may have to give nascar another chance :p

Based on Nextel's latest financials, NASCAR should be very worried.

I'd had a sneaking hunch this was probably going to happen. I don't think we'll see the last of this sort of thing until the economy gets better. Businesses are cutting budgets to the bone, and race car sponsorship is something that's ripe for the budget knife...

Yep. As a matter of fact Advanced Auto Parts just announced that they are dropping sponsorship of the World of Outlaws next years. It's undoubtedly going to be a very tough year for the auto racing industry.

Yep. As a matter of fact Advanced Auto Parts just announced that they are dropping sponsorship of the World of Outlaws next years. It's undoubtedly going to be a very tough year for the auto racing industry.

This could be the tip of an iceberg for all of motorsports. Empire CAT here in Phoenix reportedly laid off ten heavy equipment technicians last week - CAT's core businesses, mining and construction are in the toilet. Just one example of potential problems - it doesn't look good.

I asked Kevin here in LV about Snap-on pulling out. Little did I know he was going to get shafted! He's a top line crew chief and I don't think he got a fair shake. What do you think that Hot Rod may be next? I hope not! BK

Re: Snap-On fires Herbert

From what my former Snap-On Dealer was telling me, the economy has been so bad that the individual franchises can't afford the higher franchise fees as easily. He remembered when every stop had at least one tool sale and before he got out, he was stopping to cover warranty work, not sales.

A friend of mine with a gas station/garage/hot rod/fabrication shop is having a tough time through this. Gas was a loser when the price wasn't creeping down just to bring business in for the rest of it. Now he can't afford to buy a 30-some thousand dollar tank of gas just to lose even more money on it when the price drops. His attendant is one job that has ended within the last week.

A distributor of some sort was in there the other day and said that something like 100 garages in New Jersey alone have shut down in recent months because people are now stretching/skimping on maintenance and are only doing repairs that are absolutely necessary as ways to save money.

This guy has worked his butt off for years. I've been in there and seen people stop in at 2AM to pay a repair bill. He'd ask them why they came in at that hour and they'd say "I knew you'd be here." :D

Re: Snap-On fires Herbert

A distributor of some sort was in there the other day and said that something like 100 garages in New Jersey alone have shut down in recent months because people are now stretching/skimping on maintenance and are only doing repairs that are absolutely necessary as ways to save money.

D

That is along what my Matco guy told me too. The people who'd been around only a few years or even 10 were shuttering their doors or downsizing employees. The thing with skimping and stretching on maintenence is that it usually leads to a big repair.

I have a PT cruiser in the yard now that the customer thought that she could stretch a timing belt to the max time instead of the recommended time. She'd had a timing belt break on another car and 'all they did' was throw another one on. But she didn't know there was something called interference and none interference motors. Hers happens to be a freewheeling so we don't know the extent of the damage just yet, always good to check anyway, but a 600 preventative maintenence is going to cost her even more now.

Based on Nextel's latest financials, NASCAR should be very worried.

Thats probably why Bruton Smith raised the flag that he is still interested in buying Nascar.

If our new leader doesn't follow through with all his promises there will be a fire sale on sanction race organizations.:(

I hope Snap On signs on with another team, preferably the team that KP will end up on.

How Snap On stayed with Herbert so long is beyond me. Dougzilla? After letting KP go, Should have been Dumbzilla.

But isn't karma great? Thanks Snap On, hope you go to a driver that reflects your corporate culture

I think multi-million dollar budgets only work in good economies. The last few years have been good. I wonder how other sports and investments with million dollar price tags are going to work in this economy? I know of one wealthy car owner that stopped construction of a new car because his other businesses were getting slaughtered. I just heard Circuit City is going bye-bye and they just opened a new store by us. Thats how bad it is!

We have kept most if not all of our sponsors but our budget is tiny compared to what it takes to run fuel. But we have cut backs of our own.

Last edited:
DRO is saying Snap-On is going to one of the Pedregon Brothers and they have a 3 year deal. I would guess Tony, since Cruz said in Indy he just resigned Advance. Who knows, it wouldn't be the first time "The Agent" was wrong.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back