Slowing Them Down Will Reduce The Carnage? (1 Viewer)

Dale Armstrong consistently banged the "lower compression, reduced blower overdrive" drum as the key to slowing the cars down. Garlits banged the "less prep" drum which NHRA eventually did, somewhat, but by now the teams have pretty much adjusted to that. I personally watched Robert Hight run 3.82/338 on the 'no-prepped' Texas Motorplex surface.

A few years back a couple of teams, at NHRA's request, experimented with 426" engines, blower OD around 20% and a much smaller fuel pump. If I recall, they ran 4.20s in the mid-280mph range. Obviously that plan didn't stick around long.
There's no such thing as a no prep NHRA national event track. The track has been prepped, it's just a matter of how much prep and how much they want to cut the VHT% down.

I had previously asked what the parameters and results of the NHRA "requested" slow them-down fuel car tests were in the last couple of years. Two that I know of were with decently running funny car teams. The other (much older) test was the self-sponsored Prudhomme-Armstrong compression limiting test, which was publicized. Everyone seems to be a bit silent on these recent ones, and any others that may have occurred. Alan, Tony, Mike, anyone want to comment? Or do I need the secret decoder ring...... Chase
I remember Wilkerson and Coil testing a couple different combos. One car ran more blower o.d. with less compression and the other ran less blower o.d. with more compression. I believe both cars also had a 4 disc clutch in them and maybe a smaller pump. Not sure what the results were.

There's no such thing as a no prep NHRA national event track. The track has been prepped, it's just a matter of how much prep and how much they want to cut the VHT% down.
I know there isn't, Tony; I put it in quotes to indicate that I didn't mean literally not prepped. If I've heard right, I believe the VHT percentage was reduced about 10 percent, from 75 down to 65.

I know there isn't, Tony; I put it in quotes to indicate that I didn't mean literally not prepped. If I've heard right, I believe the VHT percentage was reduced about 10 percent, from 75 down to 65.
Gotcha and it can vary from a 65% mix depending on conditions.

I remember Wilkerson and Coil testing a couple different combos. One car ran more blower o.d. with less compression and the other ran less blower o.d. with more compression. I believe both cars also had a 4 disc clutch in them and maybe a smaller pump. Not sure what the results were.
The Oswald boomer happened right in front of me, I was most of the way up in the stands. It seemed to barf out all the oil at once, resulting a 40 foot diameter puddle on the concrete. Meanwhile, policing a compression rule is not an easy thing, would probably require additional tech staff, time constraints, etc. Anyone try just a smaller fuel pump, i.e. 60-70 gallons? Thanks

The Oswald boomer happened right in front of me, I was most of the way up in the stands. It seemed to barf out all the oil at once, resulting a 40 foot diameter puddle on the concrete. Meanwhile, policing a compression rule is not an easy thing, would probably require additional tech staff, time constraints, etc. Anyone try just a smaller fuel pump, i.e. 60-70 gallons? Thanks
Not that I have heard.

Back in 2004, we went 4.60 @ 324mph with a 77 gallon pump.

No matter what rules you have in place there will always be someone willing to spend $100 to win a $10 purse.

That probably sums up every single point there would be to make. We have seen it, especially this year. DSR, especially Elite as well as MSR, the word "champion" meant more than purse problems of the last decade and that was before in fell into a deeper hole this year. Still no telling what next year brings. I agree with Alan. If racer x has 3 mil laying around and could make a legit run for the title, they will. The issue is just like gambling, some overlook that entire point with money they don't have turning it into an "Oh, F*#@" situation,

Question Tony, do you think you could that with only one mag and that same pump, thanks for your time
I suppose you could. I'm not sure how much it would slowdown. We have a run from 3-4 years ago where the deal lost a mag and it still ran like 3.85.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back