slow down fuel cars 2019 first steps (1 Viewer)

still showed them what they wanted though.

Agreed! And Dale was the perfect guy to run the experiment. But ask anybody if they can run 4.80 at 300 quarter mile without hurting parts and everyone of them can do it. Then tell them to beat the guy in the next lane, and the conservative approach goes straight into the trash can.

Alan

Agreed! And Dale was the perfect guy to run the experiment. But ask anybody if they can run 4.80 at 300 quarter mile without hurting parts and everyone of them can do it. Then tell them to beat the guy in the next lane, and the conservative approach goes straight into the trash can.

Alan
Always has and always will!

Slowing them down is very simple. There are 3 things that make horsepower 1. Air, 2.fuel, 3.ignition.
The cheapest way is leave the ignition alone and change the fuel percentage and if necessary change the blower overdrive. They are both very easy things to do and there is basically no cost to the racers and most likely less motor damage.

Slowing them down is very simple. There are 3 things that make horsepower 1. Air, 2.fuel, 3.ignition.
The cheapest way is leave the ignition alone and change the fuel percentage and if necessary change the blower overdrive. They are both very easy things to do and there is basically no cost to the racers and most likely less motor damage.
Whats one of those low overdrive promod blowers cost?...or better yet, what does it cost to rent one for a weekend?

I have always said mag was the easiest take one off..... cant burn as much fuel easy to police yes you have 1 mag........would you have to keep up on your mags yes but we have them pretty much max cackle as it is.....would people get nuts trying to make them better yes but that would happen with any move.....but I am with TS for the most part do it with track prep but there needs to be a floating scale when cold and track is good certain mix when track is 130 needs to be different mix

it would be nice to find one or two things that could be changed, and make a significant cost decrease in the fuel classes without slowing the cars much. we have run 339 and some change. if the possibility of hitting 340 is cut by 20 -25 mph, there goes our sport again. the 340 mark must be broken now as we are way too close to it. after it is broke, NHRA can put here hands in the air and say we did it and can address the speed issue. too bad we could not get to 350, but us old school racers will settle for 340 im sure. it will only go downhill from that point and everyone of us knows that is coming. i wonder what the insurance situation would be if we were making 350 mph runs!

Years ago, Indy Car slowed the cars waaaaay down. Said the speed was too fast. So, today, they have these little 2.4 liter turbo V-6 engines and they can still go 230 on the back stretch. Even if todays cars were limited to, say. a 12:71 blower, they'd figure out a way to get back to the same speeds & ET's. Even with a 6:71 blower like nostalgia T/F, I would bet someone could run very low 5 second runs & maybe even a 4.99. I really would like to see the nitro cars back to 1/4 mile, even if they'd only run 4.70's @ 300. The noise would still be there, flames, side by side racing and that would be the most important.

I think track prep is the way forward. NHRA's logic is pretty sound. Turn down the power to get a hold of the track, parts live longer. Now, we need to do something about electronics and the big black box with all the wires and plastic tubes. Lack of track prep makes traction control a pretty tempting idea.

Less. Prep would be tricky and dangerous !!!
Less prep has a lot more to do with the launch than when the cars are actually at speed. Any car that makes its own downforce doesn't need much at the top end. It wouldn't be dangerous to run fuel cars on a track prepped for a weekly bracket series, but you can bet they won't get down it without seriously de-tuning, if they could at all. Any lesser-prepped track that the fuel cars would be run on would still be significantly more prepped than a bracket track. If there are safety concerns, then there are deeper issues with the individual track that need to be addressed.

Less prep has a lot more to do with the launch than when the cars are actually at speed. Any car that makes its own downforce doesn't need much at the top end. It wouldn't be dangerous to run fuel cars on a track prepped for a weekly bracket series, but you can bet they won't get down it without seriously de-tuning, if they could at all. Any lesser-prepped track that the fuel cars would be run on would still be significantly more prepped than a bracket track. If there are safety concerns, then there are deeper issues with the individual track that need to be addressed.
Yeah, I worked with Danny Pickett ,Overland Express Funny car in the 70s, there was no prep at all back then cars went down track fine but were much slower then.
Watching noprep races on tracks that had been prep night racing like driving on ice. Once track gets sun and heat it's ok, so real noprep race track needs to be stripped to make it legit.

That's not exactly true, in the past they have tried just spraying to 400' or so where the cars are going 200+ MPH and they would pull the tires loose at that spot.

You are correct about trying to run one on a Saturday night bracket track in race or test mode, but I have seen guys licence on a weekend track with the car pulled WAY back.

Alan

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back