**Shorty Leventon Passes (1 Viewer)

The Little Lizard

Nitro Member
OUR MOST HEARTFELT THOUGHTS AND PRAYERS TO THE FAMILY, FRIENDS AND ALL THOSE EFFECTED BY THE PASSING NORTHERN CALIFORNA NHRA TOP FUEL ICON LAWRENCE (LARRY) "SHORTY' LEVENTION. Mr. Leventon's obituary can be found at the web-link below:

Lawrence (Larry) LEVENTON Obituary: View Lawrence LEVENTON's Obituary by The Sacramento Bee

A guest book is available if one desires to leave a message for the family, at web-link:

Lawrence (Larry) LEVENTON Guest Book: sign their guest book, share your condolences, or read their obituary at The Sacramento Bee

Shorty drove a number Top Fuel cars to include the historical and famous "Vagabond" in 1963.

9990177370452.jpg

Shorty_C161.jpg

Vagabond-parked.jpg

As I recall Shorty when not racing was in the muffler and sign business and I believe at some point an association with being a local Sacramento vocational auto shop instructor. Us kids really enjoyed watching Shorty launch a top fuel car, he would let his right arm go straight up in the air like he was waiving. As a youth Shorty was a competitor of my mentor and boss at the time Jim Herbert. Shorty was a fine man and Jim, Chris Raynor, Gary Ormsby and many in the local racing community held him in good stead and felt he was a good person as well as an asset to the sport. He will be missed!

:(

Last edited:
Find below 2 educational image examples of some fo the cars Shorty Leventon owned and drove

Shorty vs. My mentor and boss Jim "The Lizard" Herbert in the "Performance World Top Fuel Dragster-Sacramento Raceway
scan0076.jpg

Leventon and Van Dyke Top Fuel

l.jpg

Last edited:
I remember the time he grenaded an engine in the lights at Irwindale. I was in the Dragster staging lanes down there when it happened, and could hear little pieces tinging all over. Steve Reyes has a 2 page spread of that in his "Quarter Mile Chaos" book .

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back