Several Iconic Drag Cars Going Over The Auction Block (1 Viewer)

Come on Powerball!! The 1970 Ivo car has been in my Forever Top 5 List ever since I was a child.
The restoration of the car is spectacular; I hope the current owners make some serious coin on the sale of that one.

Is that really Tom McGoose's car? I dunno, doesn't really look like what I remember. If I could ever buy one of these things, it would be an AA/Fuel Competition Coupe, like Frank Pedregon's car.

Several years ago the Grump's P/S Vega went through Barrett Jackson and fetched a tidy $577,500.

1641274632284.png

Wonder if Garlits will be there, these cars would be a great addition to his museum and it's in his neck of the woods.

I was wondering about Ivo's cars as well. Maybe he needs the $$$. Amazing that these old drag cars we saw years ago are worth a fortune. If I still had my beater 58 Ford that I raced at San Fernando, maybe I could sell it for big bucks, cuz it had an original San Fernando Drag Strip decal on it. "This car must meet the reserve of $50....." :)

Tommy or his estate still own these cars?
Tommy or his estate still own these cars?
I was wondering about Ivo's cars as well. Maybe he needs the $$$. Amazing that these old drag cars we saw years ago are worth a fortune. If I still had my beater 58 Ford that I raced at San Fernando, maybe I could sell it for big bucks, cuz it had an original San Fernando Drag Strip decal on it. "This car must meet the reserve of $50....." :)

If I had the extra money the Ivo Wagonmaster (Showboat) would be mine.

I think I like the '74 RED the most. Always digged those from wheel covers. BTW, I digging through a old box of photos at Valley Head Service a few years ago and I came across this sponsorship package Tommy had out and this photo was inside.
Ivo 2.jpg

This is an interesting photo, considering that NHRA didn't believe Ivo had run that 5.97. Wasn't done on an NHRA track, etc.

Wonder if Garlits will be there, these cars would be a great addition to his museum and it's in his neck of the woods.
I’m wondering if they weren’t offered to Don right off the bat and he declined. You’d think Don would be the first call people make in these situations.

Last edited:
The 1974 front-driver Ivo car with the wheel pants is a repro. That car was destroyed in the spectacular wreck at Pomona. Little if anything left of the car.

I'm pretty sure the '76 Dodge Charger has the original body but the rest is a repro.

The classic 1970 chute-pack car I think is an original, restored car with its' Don Long chassis but I can't say for sure. After restoration, it was repaired after Ivo - driving this car - rear-ended Garlits during the pre-Cackelfest parade during the NHRR when it was held at Columbus in June of 2007 if my dates are correct.

Nothing wrong with a replica car, but to the serious collector they are not considered to have as much value.

I think the owners may have acquired all these cars in recent years from the various people who built or restored them. Ivo (like almost all drag racers of that era) never kept any of his old cars. He needed the money from a sale to help finance the building of a new car.

Last edited:
The real question here is, where is "TV Tom the west coast bomb" nowadays. Is he in bad health?

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back