Seriously Now? Legend Cars? (1 Viewer)

FuelFC

Nitro Member
Honestly? I looked and it is not 4/1 today either.

Has anyone ever seen what a bunch of drag racers have done let loose on a go-cart track? Surely this is a joke...please...

LEGENDS CARS INVADE DRAG RACING?

Note to self: Find stock ticker for K&K property damage insurance fund of Legend cars at NHRA facilities

Actualy a few years ago we had a couple of these cars and thought about making them into drag versions... specialy after i showed the boss a Pro mod race.....lol...

Billy

They better wash that Dirt & Clay out from under them first and somebody needs to draw a straight line for them so they don't turn left.

Actually those things accelerate pretty quickly, 0-60mph in 4 seconds, which is what a stock Z06 Corvette runs. I say put them in a dragster chassis, sort of an up scaled Jr. Dragster. Sounds like a cheap way to build a weekend warrior.

During the Knoxville Nationals..around '86 or so, TJ was a guest and drove one when they did the course through downtown. Only did that 1 year because they just flat out were flying (and beyond the hay bales if they wrecked..LOL).

Their power to weight ratio rules..but I kinda look at it like a gimmick. Now if they focused this to straight line..they could run in the 9's I suspect.

Check out this kid, he's got a Harley....................:D
bruce_1.jpg

I've seen a couple of these cars setup to go straight. When I still lived in OH near an 1/8 ml. track. They were pretty neat, I thought about making a Willy's and painting it blue similar to the Stone Woods & Cook Gasser.
Think about it some of us older guys could still have fun, and not $pend a ton of $$$.

They would require some serious revamping. The tranny and clutch basket in the FJ motor, simply will not live with that much rubber on the ground.

Well Well-I might becoming into fashion here. I have been racing a dwarfcar (a legends car is basically a spec dwarfcar-just made out of crap parts you are forced to buy off 600 racing.)for the last 10 years. I race it in hillclimbs in Vt. up mountian roads-we take off from a standing start-got lots of practice. :D I've also driven legends cars and reworked a few in my shop. Oh yea-before that I drag raced a 8 second Yamaha FJ nationally.
Launching a 72" wheelbase 1200 lb car is tuff-I've spent years working on it. And my car has decent suspension parts-3 link with a spring upper bar. Legends have hydraulic clutchs and very sloppy pedals-there are in or out. And if they are on the required BFG tires, expect to see some squirly launches. Once someone figures out how to get them to hook up, they will be breaking axles. The shifters in them are a joke-its more of a "gear selector". And the Yamaha motor has a weak clutch basket. The way the cars are geared with the bike transmission and 13" tires and the choices you have for rear gear, they are a far better 1/8 mile car than 1/4. But other than that.......:p
I'm guessing that a good driver could get a hi 11 out of a stock one at maybe 110 mph. Maybe hi 6 low 7 in the 1/8.
I agree-sounds more like a stunt than anything else-wonder if the means the 90" wb rule is gone. The only one that is gonna make out on this is 600 racing in replacing broken parts.
Heres a video of me running up a hill in Burke Vt. My car has 50 more HP and weighs 100 lbs less. But I'm starting on a non prepped surface going uphill starting with a wheelchock behind my rear wheel.
YouTube - Burke 1 hill climb Sat. 2:04 car 36

they use to have dragsters with motorcycle engines in them way back but since they had no reverse they never took off, that would be a cool idea though. But legends cars, cmon is this the new circus

Well Well-I might becoming into fashion here. I have been racing a dwarfcar (a legends car is basically a spec dwarfcar-just made out of crap parts you are forced to buy off 600 racing.)for the last 10 years. I race it in hillclimbs in Vt. up mountian roads-we take off from a standing start-got lots of practice. :D I've also driven legends cars and reworked a few in my shop. Oh yea-before that I drag raced a 8 second Yamaha FJ nationally.
Launching a 72" wheelbase 1200 lb car is tuff-I've spent years working on it. And my car has decent suspension parts-3 link with a spring upper bar. Legends have hydraulic clutchs and very sloppy pedals-there are in or out. And if they are on the required BFG tires, expect to see some squirly launches. Once someone figures out how to get them to hook up, they will be breaking axles. The shifters in them are a joke-its more of a "gear selector". And the Yamaha motor has a weak clutch basket. The way the cars are geared with the bike transmission and 13" tires and the choices you have for rear gear, they are a far better 1/8 mile car than 1/4. But other than that.......:p
I'm guessing that a good driver could get a hi 11 out of a stock one at maybe 110 mph. Maybe hi 6 low 7 in the 1/8.
I agree-sounds more like a stunt than anything else-wonder if the means the 90" wb rule is gone. The only one that is gonna make out on this is 600 racing in replacing broken parts.
Heres a video of me running up a hill in Burke Vt. My car has 50 more HP and weighs 100 lbs less. But I'm starting on a non prepped surface going uphill starting with a wheelchock behind my rear wheel.
YouTube - Burke 1 hill climb Sat. 2:04 car 36

So what would you write as a spec for such a drag class?

600 racing has a total lock on the rules of the car-they would have to let a few things get changed.
Allow 1 piece axles (stock are required to run ones that are welded from 2 cut pieces-Its a toyota rear end). Allow a good clutch basket ( I suggest one from APE ;) ) Also allow a decent rear tire-I use an American Racer midget alsphalt tire that works well. Then it would just be common sense fixing of the cars of the slop in the controls -things a seasoned drag racer would look at and see in a second-make the clutch disenge consistant + be able to shift rapidly without missing gears. And I'd race them 1/8 mile.
It most likely will just be that if you showed up at your local track , they'll let you run-who cares about stock spec rules. I wouldn't expect anyone to be consistant enuff with one to go too many rounds against a car with powerglide + trans brake.
1 bet I will make-you WILL see one blow a donut off the starting line. :eek:

During the Knoxville Nationals..around '86 or so, TJ was a guest and drove one when they did the course through downtown. Only did that 1 year because they just flat out were flying (and beyond the hay bales if they wrecked..LOL).

Their power to weight ratio rules..but I kinda look at it like a gimmick. Now if they focused this to straight line..they could run in the 9's I suspect.
Jr and fellow drag racer Karl Moyer drove them at Eddyville for a while too.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back