Seattle Attendance (1 Viewer)

clwill

Nitro Member
Unconfirmed, but rumor has it that it was the biggest crowd in the event's 25 year history. I was there and it sure looked like it, the place was packed. Pretty special when it was on the same weekend as the big SeaFair event with hydro racing and the Blue Angels in town. Especially when it's in the mid-90s -- as hot as Seattle pretty much ever gets.

Maybe drag racing isn't dead? :cool:

I agree the crowds were great.
I even saw some of the Unlimited Hydro crew guys, they got out to the track in time to catch some nitro qualifying runs.

I was surprised at how many people were at the track on Friday afternoon. I knew it would be a big crowd on Saturday, too. I'll have to see if anyone will give me a guess at attendance, in part because I was curious, too.
I'm not surprised Seafair didn't have an impact because the race has a much wider draw from throughout the Northwest. Plus, Seafair is lame, in my ever so humble opinion. :D
I was glad for that. Drag racing will never die! Heh.

Yep tons of people. Even Friday's crowd was comparatively large!!! :)

Sunday's temps were around 100-103 where we were, at about the 330', pit side, 1st row!!! Bake oven!!! :mad:

Drag Racing's far from dead. Seems like attendance was strong the past several races, despite some very uncomfortable weather. Not dead, but could use a facelift, but that's a whole different thread...:D

Chris is correct plus that pic was taken @ 6:25, 25 minutes after "curfew".
Unfortunately, the casual Seattle fans think that Nitro FC are the entire show and those seats are always the last to fill. Pit side was packed & I stand by earlier statement. Compared to the last 2-3 years, Friday had good attendance!

On Sunday I was on the starting line during first round of TF checking out the track since we followed the pro session. I happened to look up into the huge left lane grandstands and actually did a double take. I looked over at the right side stands and saw the same thing...packed grandstands. Considering the heat and all it was quite a sight.

Do they still compete with the Sea- Fairs? The biggest complaint I have always heard about Seattle is the traffic flow, it can take you 2 hrs. To get out of that place!

Do they still compete with the Sea- Fairs? The biggest complaint I have always heard about Seattle is the traffic flow, it can take you 2 hrs. To get out of that place!

SeaFair has been the first weekend of August since time immemorium. Over the last few years of NHRA playing around with the order of the Western Swing, the Seattle race has moved around. Now it's back to competing with SeaFair. I'm not sure it makes a huge difference, except for employers who must have a tough attendance day on Monday.

As for getting in and out, Pacific used to be a 90min wait to get in, when they charged for parking. Now that they don't, at 10am Sunday I had an empty off-ramp and was parked in less than two minutes. Getting out of anywhere takes forever, I've spent an hour waiting to get out of Vegas. Pacific could do a little more guidance in the parking lot, but the hang up seems to be the cops outside. Still, I got out Sunday in about 30mins.

First, my "drag racing is not dead" comment was just a joke. But since we're on that topic, great article Jon.

FYI, the annual attendance of approx. 2mil for NHRA would be right about the middle of the road for a baseball franchise (see: 2011 MLB Attendance - Major League Baseball - ESPN) and that's for three times as many events. Not bad. ;)

SeaFair has been the first weekend of August since time immemorium. Over the last few years of NHRA playing around with the order of the Western Swing, the Seattle race has moved around. Now it's back to competing with SeaFair. I'm not sure it makes a huge difference, except for employers who must have a tough attendance day on Monday.

As for getting in and out, Pacific used to be a 90min wait to get in, when they charged for parking. Now that they don't, at 10am Sunday I had an empty off-ramp and was parked in less than two minutes. Getting out of anywhere takes forever, I've spent an hour waiting to get out of Vegas. Pacific could do a little more guidance in the parking lot, but the hang up seems to be the cops outside. Still, I got out Sunday in about 30mins.

Chris, while most tracks take awhile to get out of there. There are exceptions, at Chicago, Indy and Houston there are parking options that allow to get out of there in 10-15 minutes after the Pros run! I have always liked Seattle cause of the Old school feel of the place! I do miss that old grandstand they used to have near the announcers tower, there was NO closer seat to the cars at any track! Yet they pulled it and replaced it with hospitality....Oh well!

I do miss that old grandstand they used to have near the announcers tower, there was NO closer seat to the cars at any track! Yet they pulled it and replaced it with hospitality....Oh well!

Sections A1-A3 (the angled ones at the start) are my favs. Been in them for going on 20yrs. If only they weren't splintery 2x8s placed 8" apart...

I know people that have sat there, but they say it has absolutely NO leg room! If your over 5'6 your done!

I'm 6'2" (and not a small guy). When it's 90+ out, it's a community sauna there. But the view is amazing, and after rd. 1, people tend to clear out.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back