Schumacher says races should be on live tv (1 Viewer)

The current TV package is great. Great for the network its on and the visibility it gets. Americans are smart TV viewers. They can find anything they want to. Keyword here is want. Some of the shows ppl are dedicated to sometimes amazes me and on some of the most obscure networks. And I respect Force but downright loathe him. More coverage equals beating the son of gun on raceday.

That's the problem. It's not great...people are not staying with it. If I'm wrong then how come we don't hear about how the ratings were this and that and record numbers like we used to. The average has to be down. We are not even clearing a million viewers a race. It would surprise me if it was even a half million. I thought the old average used to be somewhere in or around 600,000 viewers a race.

That should be easy to reach and for some reason that's not happening. With these ratings, a major network would NOT EVEN CONSIDER airing an NHRA race. There is no reason why the u.s. nats can't be on abc. NHRA NEEDS TO HAVE AT LEAST ONE RACE ON NETWORK TV. I dont see why the NHRA has not tried this avenue as it could help alot.

That's the problem. It's not great...people are not staying with it. If I'm wrong then how come we don't hear about how the ratings were this and that and record numbers like we used to. The average has to be down. We are not even clearing a million viewers a race. It would surprise me if it was even a half million. I thought the old average used to be somewhere in or around 600,000 viewers a race.

That should be easy to reach and for some reason that's not happening. With these ratings, a major network would NOT EVEN CONSIDER airing an NHRA race. There is no reason why the u.s. nats can't be on abc. NHRA NEEDS TO HAVE AT LEAST ONE RACE ON NETWORK TV. I dont see why the NHRA has not tried this avenue as it could help alot.

Patrick,

You've hit the nail on the head. Until the on-air product improves there will be no increase in viewership. Without more viewers we will be relegated to the status we have with ESPN2. Frankly, I think we're fortunate to have the coverage we do on that network. It's the next best thing to the top network, ESPN.

YouTube - 1996 NHRA Keystone Nationals

Start at 4:30. This was just a regular race, nothing really that special, but it is a live final.

Why does it sound so much better there then it does on ESPN 2 today? Is it because the cars don't sound like that anymore, or is the audio worse now? Or is the audio of this clip taken from somewhere other then right next to the car (you kinda get an echo that sounds more like your at the track [listen to the burnout])

Maybe its the nostalgia, but for whatever reason that clip tops what I am seeing today... maybe because theyre running 4.83 instead of 3.83 (an entire second less today).

Man, that sound is so much better back then, I can't put my finger on why though. When they launch, sounds deeper, more grunt. Turn back the technology to 1995!

Only issue is does ESPN keep stats on how many IP addy's show up on Sun.
If you want a live show and better shows then log on even if you have a dial-up they will get a IP add. to get things better for us timers

Good point, it would be nice for ESPN2 to use it's sister network ABC to show 3-4 major races during the year.

When speaking of the coverage getting better for the avg guy wanting to watch drag racing in my opinion that would be tough. ESPN2 does a hell of a job.

Now, can the diehards who can't get enough wish for better coverage meaning in length? Yes. I agree with that. But 3 hours is a long time and ESPN2 does a great job.

exactly. It would be a good experiment to see how many people actually do stay with it, But it cant be just a race, it has to be one of the bigger market ones, either Pomona-2, Chicago, Gators, E-town, Indy or 4 wide. Has to be a popular market stop, come to think of it indy, 4-wide, or pomona 2 would be the perfect sell.

exactly. It would be a good experiment to see how many people actually do stay with it, But it cant be just a race, it has to be one of the bigger market ones, either Pomona-2, Chicago, Gators, E-town, Indy or 4 wide. Has to be a popular market stop, come to think of it indy, 4-wide, or pomona 2 would be the perfect sell.

You had me until you said 4 Wide... there's enough to 'standard' drag racing... I waiting to see how 4 wide is on ESPN3... still don't think it should be a points race, but for entertainment, it wasn't too bad last year... funny that three tracks only have two races... Vegas, NASCARVILLE, and the parking lot...

A 4 wide, PRO only show would be great for Live TV, Round 1, Field cuts in half, Round Two, you get your 4 finalist, Round 3, you get winner, R/U, 3rd and 4th, start at noon, and be done by 3PM..

d'kid

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back