Schumacher says races should be on live tv (1 Viewer)

john

Nitro Member
just uploaded sound from Gator nationals at rpm2night

Schu talks about qualifying and how DSR is coming up with devices to keep oil off the track so tv could be live.

Hagan talks about his pass, plus record runs in pro stock and pro stock motorcycle.

thanks for visiting
JK

Gee John, you over here posting that you put them up, and I've already listened to them... Keep up the Great work!!!!

d'kid

I would love to see that. espn 3 is as close as it will get right now so we kinda have it but not yet, there needs to be an nhra channel or an espn nhra channel. that would change tv forever.

Then he should talk to his sponsors about throwing money to ESPN.

He won't finance it.

If there was a big enough audience, it would have had more live TV and expanded years ago. I don't see it happening again any time soon. There seems to be a smaller audience now than just a few years ago.

I would like to see the last round of qualifying live with highlights - *highlights* - of the first three rounds, minus the back stories, and whatnot, which should be saved for an NHRA today type of show to run on off weeks.

Then on Sunday show *highlights* of the first 3 rounds and a live final.

I know thats very difficult or impossible to do due to the nature of the sport.

Failing that, a tape delayed live would be cool... One might say they do that now, but I guess what I mean by live qualifying taped would be turn on the cameras when the first engine fires and let them run till the last pass goes down. Include everything in real time... Subtract a large percent of the discussions, interjections and whatnot from commentators. Oildowns could be cut out of course.

Again I guess that's unlikely on a major network like ESPN.

I guess my ideal would be cameras running live at the track with the commentary coming from the track audio, uncut, oildowns and all... broadcast on like ESPN 4 or some obscure channel that can be DVR'd and watched at my convenience. There would be no commercials, except the ones that run generically in the background on the jumbotron at the track during oildowns and down time. Maybe even make it a subscription like NHL center ice, Id pay $50 or $100 or so to have it for the year.

That would work perfectly on a rainy weekend, sitting and watching live NHRA racing streaming all day long... almost like being at the track.

Pipe dream...

I remember when Direct TV first came out, on top of the NFL Sunday ticket (obviously still available) you could pay some money (pay per view) and watch National events real time, it would be on all day Sunday, from the Super Classes to the Top Fuel Finals. I loved it, like was mentioned, it was like being at the track but I had cheap beer and my comfy couch. I would gladly fork over money to have that back....heck NH RA is already running the cameras, they may as well stream it live all day (all three days) over the internet just like they do the audio now....I would pay for that and hook it to my TV.

If there was a big enough audience, it would have had more live TV and expanded years ago. I don't see it happening again any time soon. There seems to be a smaller audience now than just a few years ago.

That is exactly why it isn't live. A small audience generates low commercial rates (commercial rates are based on Nielson ratings...post event). Until ratings go up, and I have no idea how that could ever happen, there will not be live TV coverage simply because the commercial rates are very low compared to rates charged on traditional sports.

In broadcasting the bottom line is the ability to charge higher rates. Programming decisions are based solely on the ability to charge higher rates...which is a result of mass appeal programming that attracts higher audience levels.

Schumacher's efforts to eliminate oil downs will produce a better event and slightly higher television audience levels. It won't land us on prime time live television. The sport is too confusing for the casual viewer (too many classes, too many champions). For instance, NASCAR has one race and one winner. That's easy for the casual viewer to follow. We have multiple rounds, multiple winners in each race. Those are real factors in the ability to attract a television audience that follows our sport.

Live TV would drastically improve the show as a whole, but unless you can do something to eliminate the Downtime it would Fail!

Live TV would drastically improve the show as a whole, but unless you can do something to eliminate the Downtime it would Fail!

I 1000% agree. It does not need to be dumbed down, it is enough for the right things and they do a great job at that. Live tv i dont exactly see how it could work in our sport unless you could have a show with no ending time or a flex ending time until it's done. You can't have a fixed time show.

As far as audience not watching as much as they used to i agree. It seems as if the ratings are lower. Solution: Get rid of the interviews that do not need to take place. Winners, and pit reports only. I never felt good about how a lesser known guy gets a round win and never gets an interview cause his name is not force, shoe, or dixon. If you win a round you should 100% win an interview no matter who you are. Make programs from 3 hours to like the old and sometimes rare 2 hours. Hour 3 is a waste. 2 Hours would get more people to watch.

The sport is too confusing for the casual viewer (too many classes, too many champions). For instance, NASCAR has one race and one winner. That's easy for the casual viewer to follow. We have multiple rounds, multiple winners in each race. Those are real factors in the ability to attract a television audience that follows our sport.

So your telling me that people cant follow the olympics? They have multiple events and winners... :confused:

The current TV package is great. Great for the network its on and the visibility it gets. Americans are smart TV viewers. They can find anything they want to. Keyword here is want. Some of the shows ppl are dedicated to sometimes amazes me and on some of the most obscure networks. And I respect Force but downright loathe him. More coverage equals beating the son of gun on raceday.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back