Saving the Best for Last, Line Qualifies No. 1 at zMAX Dragway (1 Viewer)

Event: 2nd annual VisitMyrtleBeach.com 4-Wide NHRA Nationals

Day/Date: Saturday, April 16, 2011

On the strength of a 6.562-second, 210.97 mph pass made on his final attempt, Summit Racing Pro Stock driver Jason Line captured the No. 1 qualifying position for Sunday’s VisitMyrtleBeach.com 4-Wide NHRA Nationals in Concord, NC. When Saturday dawned at zMAX Dragway, there seemed little chance competitors would be able to make their final two qualifying attempts, as a series of severe storms drenched the racetrack throughout the morning. However, the skies cleared shortly after noon, with the on-track action resuming three hours later.

Coming into the day in the second position, Line continued his consistent performance, posting a 6.591-second time on his third attempt. With the temperatures dropping for the fourth and final qualifying session, which was held just after 5:00 p.m., he pulled into the third lane, part of a quartet that included his KB Racing teammate Greg Anderson, who came into the session in the top spot. However, with his third consecutive 6.5-second run Line was able to edge Anderson by four thousandths of a second, claiming the 18th No. 1 qualifier of Line’s career, first of the 2011 season, and second at zMAX Dragway.

“Our Summit Racing Pontiac made two really nice runs today,” said Line. “I don’t know what it is about this place, but my car really likes it. At this point, I would have to say this car is the best I have ever had in a long time, so I am excited about tomorrow. I think we have as good a chance as anyone to win this race. It’s all going to come down to whoever lets the clutch out on time, and I’m going to do everything I can to make sure that person is me.

“It’s a little bittersweet taking the No. 1 spot away from Greg. I have been a little tough on him this year, so I hope he doesn’t fire me. But truthfully, we’re both out here to win, and it doesn’t matter which of us ends up on top, as long as it’s one of the Summit cars. I’ve been having fun with the four-wide format this year, and hope to continue having fun tomorrow. We have a great race car, and I like our chances, but we still have go out there and do our jobs.”

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back