Save NHRA - Go Back To Its Roots (1 Viewer)

Earl

Nitro Member
Here is an idea myself and some friends talk about all the time. What is wrong with a national event? Lots of stuff, just read all the post here. Here is what I think should happen with Pro racing.

No Sportsman at Nat’s. (Yes I am a Sportsman racer). The Nat’s should have Top Fuel, Funny Car, Pro Stock, Top Alcohol, Alcohol Funny Car, Pro Mod, Top Fuel Harley, AA/SS, and Nostalgia Fuel and Funny Car.

Now here is what makes it work. Everyone that shows up gets in the show. If you have 36 Pro Stock cars show up, you have a 36 car field. If 20 Top Fuel cars show up, you have a 20 car field. Qualify on Friday and Sat, race on Sunday. The stands would be full all the time. It would give the guys with limited budgets the ability to race within their regions and give the NHRA a great show. The big boys that go to all the shows and race for the championship would still be the biggest part of the show, but it would give all the people wanting to step up visibility and an opportunity to compete. Not to mention it would be a great racing. Wouldn't it be fun to see Rob Passy take out Sarge in the first round?

Call me crazy, but I think it would work.

Earl

I've toyed with a similar idea in my crazy little mind at times. It would truly be a great show for fans of blown fuel and alky, with Pro Stock as well. The all run deal isn't a bad idea, there is still an incentive to qualify as high as possible for points implications, and it gives the lesser funded teams an incentive to come out and maybe take out a hitter. The other thing that maybe should be considered, is going back to a different ladder, where the the #1 driver faces #8, instead of #16, this may help the smaller teams have a chance to go rounds. We need more unpredictability in the Pro ranks. How about a real, off the wall insane idea. The idea of having 1 Fuel class has been toyed with before. How about combing the two into 1 class, called: AA/FA. 125 inch FC frames with altered bodies and wings. Could potentially be 4 second cars, but very unpredictable, and entertaining. Hey, this exercise is just for fun, right?

Nunzio,
Alterd Roadsters running in the 4s goes a little beyond unpredictable and entertaining. That's pure insanity!

It would be fine for the die hard fan (me) but for others it would be a very very long day.

For the racer; Cost. Imaging going 7 rounds (36 cars) or from 36 to 18,9,5,3,2,1)? 36 is a bad number to start with. A chapter could be written on why not. 32 car fields have been discussed but as I remember cost was an issue with that as well as the time to run a 5th round. It's just too much.
Give this new qualifying structure a chance. It may not be the best plan but it certainly isn't the worst. Its difficult satisfying the fan and racer at the same time but then add your revenue stream into the equation and it's a beast. I personally think that the best scenario was in moving the qualifying time earlier on Friday and later on Saturday. It involves a little give and take but doesn't break your back and probably wouldn't hurt the revenue from ticket sales.

I would miss a lot of my friends that only run sportsman that we look forward to seeing each other at certain national events.

But that's just my opinion. Now, going 6 rounds in a day would kill my guys, shoot, going 3 rounds in about 4 to 5 hours already is a constant hustle and for 2 fuel teams it's 4 rounds in about 5 to 6 hours, that's very demanding for us that are in the trenches.

Creative thinking for sure.

:)

Ok, I am crazy....:) That is why I am a drag racer:D Just thought I would throw it up on the wall and see what everyone thought. Limiting it to a 32 car field would be good, just one more round.

By the way, I do think the new qualifying deal is an improvement.

That is why I love this forum. Everyone is always willing to speak their mind.

Earl

If they eliminated Sportsman classes from National events, who would the NHRA charge $220+ to enter? The Pros don't pay to enter a race like us little guys do!

It would be fine for the die hard fan (me) but for others it would be a very very long day.

For the racer; Cost. Imaging going 7 rounds (36 cars) or from 36 to 18,9,5,3,2,1)? 36 is a bad number to start with. A chapter could be written on why not. 32 car fields have been discussed but as I remember cost was an issue with that as well as the time to run a 5th round. It's just too much.
Give this new qualifying structure a chance. It may not be the best plan but it certainly isn't the worst. Its difficult satisfying the fan and racer at the same time but then add your revenue stream into the equation and it's a beast. I personally think that the best scenario was in moving the qualifying time earlier on Friday and later on Saturday. It involves a little give and take but doesn't break your back and probably wouldn't hurt the revenue from ticket sales.

They could do 3 qualifying runs on Friday and elimations saturday and sunday....oh wait this might actually make some sense so the chance of NHRA doing it is slim to none...nevermind!!!:rolleyes:

who would the NHRA charge $220+ to enter? QUOTE]

Last time I checked it was $250 (except Indy $350) plus $40 per competitor (all competitor's) for insurance

Then credentials for each crew member, spouse etc. unless you have a gold or silver card. Bronze car allows driver + 1, then credential costs of anywhere from $75 each to $90 each (Indy) which covers the weekend for racing.

i'm definatly against any form of handicapping in the pro ranks. this would be like affirmative action.

Lance, that's the ladder I grew up with, no 'easy' rounds...
1 vs 9 2 vs 10
5 vs 13 6 vs 14

7 vs 15 8 vs 16
3 vs 11 4 vs 12

The ladder we use now is way more top loaded toward the quicker car... know your roots... it was what was used before we went to the second points system after they took fuel cars away from divisional events... when you earned your right to be invited to the World Finals... a one shot race for all the marbles... before they invented the Affirmative Action of our last points system... when you could run as many qualifying laps as you could drag your mess back into line... heck, I remember people fueling and running the valves in the staging lanes.... all this back before we got our last Charity System.

d'kid

When would I have time to go to the bathroom?
Not just the bathroom-walk the pits and get lunch?
If it wasn't for throttle-stop racing at the National Events I'd never see any of our buddies thrashing in between rounds?

The sportsmen also fund the entire event so the spectator ticket sales could provide more gravy for the potatoes (& suits.)

who would the NHRA charge $220+ to enter? QUOTE]

Last time I checked it was $250 (except Indy $350) plus $40 per competitor (all competitor's) for insurance

Then credentials for each crew member, spouse etc. unless you have a gold or silver card. Bronze car allows driver + 1, then credential costs of anywhere from $75 each to $90 each (Indy) which covers the weekend for racing.

OK. one driver and two crew and their girlfriends and the ...wait I got my shoes off.. Carry the one plus 350 and then ... O'Hell thats hurts...

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back