Santa Pod Raceway Meet (1 Viewer)

Podhopper

Nitro Member
For those of you interested in one of Americas finest ever exports to far flung places, England's Santa Pod Raceway has a major event coming up this weekend. There has been much rolling of the eyes by race fans since this is the first big meet where we are running to '1000 in Top Fuel. The FIA tend to blindly follow NHRA rules, the big wigs in european motorsport governance don't know the first thing about our sport so just follow NHRA with the 1000ft and SFI regs. Shipping costs to get wings accross the pond for SFI testing and certification are not at all welcome. None of our Top Fuel guys are heavily sponsored.

We have Top Fuel, AA/FC, PM, PS, Alcohol FC's and dragsters, A great bunch of sportsman racers plus a full bike pits including Super Twin, TF, PSB, and the super tough Super Street Bike class. And one Frenchman that produces one of the most amazing things I've ever seen on asphalt; Eric Toboul on his hydrogen peroxide rocket bike producing 5.1 second quarters, he may well be in the fours this season. They'll be plenty of American tuners coming over to lend a hand also.

I was there for your finals last year, and it was the most fun I have had at a drag race in a long time.

I was there for your finals last year, and it was the most fun I have had at a drag race in a long time.

Hi Jay, we certainly don't compare with NHRA events when it comes to the quality and quantity of cars on show, but I think we have an atmosphere that's pretty unique to the Pod, It's hard to put your finger on exactly why but there's no doubt about the family feeling amongst everyone on site and the pure showbiz of it all, everyone loves coming here.

Personally, I can't wait for the nitro, when you're on that spectator banking just 40 odd feet from the startline (the closest you can get to any startline I've ever seen) nothing else in UK motorsport comes close. Yet we're struggling for fans, F1 packs them in by the 100,000 just down the road from Santa Pod, F1 fans can't expand their minds enough even to look on a dragster as a real race car.

I just hope the Amreicans remember to pack their weather for the weekend when they come over for the race.

I get harped by my Euro friends and racers about attending a race over there! but the costs plus the weather issue it just isn't feasible!

Joe;
That all goes away the first time you are standing 30 feet away from two fuelers as they are leaving.

One thing I noticed is the fields are really down from last year. Half the Pro Stock field is missing as well as many of the Pro Modifieds. Hope this isn't an economy issue and we'll see more cars at the next meet.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back