Rules Creep in Comp (1 Viewer)

sammi

Nitro Member
My family built a econo dragster in 1972. What a wonderful concept NHRA had....well lets say adopted. Used dragster chassis, small block chevy, single carb and a powerglide. Bada bing, we were off to the Winternationals.

Looking at a recent ND, I saw a photo of an F/ED that looked more technologically advanced than Larry Dixon's T/F.

What a shame we let a great entry class turn into a technology and money nightmare.

Mark Watkins
www.madscientist1.com

If you are talking about the F/ED that won the sportsnational, it's owned by a friend of mine. I can tell you that the owner has worked hard on that car for a while and that when compared to other comp cars, it really is a relatively inexpensive car. He built the motor himself. On the other hand, he's spent money where it needs to be spent and gotten some great help form some really experienced racers-hint that manifold is a Sherman Sligh manifold, a really smart guy who helps out lots of great comp racers, including such folks as Glenn Treadwell, Al Ackerman (my engine builder and race partner), Terry Smith, and the list could go on.

As for how comp has changed over the years, well I'm old enough to remember when a car like a B or C dragster wouldn't even have a battery-you push started them. Things change.

Looking at a recent ND, I saw a photo of an F/ED that looked more technologically advanced than Larry Dixon's T/F.
Untitled Document

Actually that is quite true, particularly in terms of valve train technology, and that is likely to advance even further-Comp is the class in NHRA where more and more motors are dohc 4 valve motors and that number is likely to increase substantially next year.

Any time you let the greatest minds of our sport come out and play, they will keep upping the anti. Comp is no longer a SBC with injectors. Even in the SBC injected cars. Just like Dale Eaton stated to me. Comp is just Pro Stock Junior.

There's a local comp eliminator team here in my neighborhood (pretty easy to figure out if you read ND ads) that is moving to Pro Stock because it will actually be easier and less expensive than running Comp!

There's a local comp eliminator team here in my neighborhood (pretty easy to figure out if you read ND ads) that is moving to Pro Stock because it will actually be easier and less expensive than running Comp!

WHAT?! does comp really cost THAT much? I knew it was really expensive, but isn't pro stock running at millions a year to be competitive?

CJ Curtsinger

They lease their engines and will continue to do that in P/S. Big expense is for teams with their own enigine development prgrams.

And please don't confuse the term less expensive with cheaper. It's just that there is more to gain by running P/S than an 800+ c.i. engine in Comp.

Last edited:
My family built a econo dragster in 1972. What a wonderful concept NHRA had....well lets say adopted. Used dragster chassis, small block chevy, single carb and a powerglide. Bada bing, we were off to the Winternationals.

What a shame we let a great entry class turn into a technology and money nightmare.

Mark Watkins
Untitled Document
More ironic is what it co$t$ to field a competitive car in STOCK!

More ironic is what it co$t$ to field a competitive car in STOCK!

Actually if you wanted to be competitive in stock yes you'd have to spend a BIG BUNDLE of $$... especially if your running a popular class... (forget SS/AH) your well into 6 figures..

However if you/me (any little guy) really wanted to run in a national event in Stock, I think the best bet would be to pick an "oddball" class ...that way if you do NOT have to race another car in your class, & its a "Bracket" race, & you have a chance.... however if the ladder puts you up against another car in the same class its "Heads Up" with no breakout..

Bottom line (in my way of thinking, & I could very well be wrong) is if I had big $$ I'd pick a nice fast class B/FIA or C/FIA .. something that runs in the 10 or 11's so it wouldn't have traction problems.. and I could work on consistency and my reaction times..

However if money was an issue I'd think about a Front wheel Drive car.. maybe a turbo Mopar.. I think its A/FW you could add weight and make it B/FW ... point being you probably wont have another car in your class, & in eliminations you could dial your own ET (as long as it was faster than the class index)

I might be full of B*** S*** but thats how I'd race in Stock if I wanted to... or if I did have unlimited funds A/SA (A nice 454 Vette) or Nova would be great :D

Someone correct me if I'm off base in my thinking...

Last edited:
I am having a brain fade of who the owner was, but back in the mid 90's I was talking to the comp guys from southern Cal that raced the beautiful Spies & Hecker Olds in Comp. He told me that comp was so expensive that it cost him money even if he didnt show up at the race. That would refer to someone banging the index and he would have to improve performance just to stay on par with the class.

Jim Kennedy (RIP) gave me my introduction to the class one year at the PRP (Now Speedworld) Divisional race. I loved that Orbital Firebird and wanted to learn more about the class. At the time I was announcing races on a regular basis and found the class I love so much. He had two (I believe) 280 ci motors from Bob Panella. He said (12 years ago) that the motors were in the $40k range.

My dream and goal in drag racing is to run Comp one day. Right now I have a seven second dragster, but that isn't anything compared to what is needed to run with these guys. I know it is going to take more than hoping, and a lot of money to meet my goal. One day, maybe another 20 years, but I will do it. I have taken on Mike Ashley's slogan, and Expect to Win!

However if money was an issue I'd think about a Front wheel Drive car.. maybe a turbo Mopar.. I think its A/FW you could add weight and make it B/FW ... point being you probably wont have another car in your class, & in eliminations you could dial your own ET (as long as it was faster than the class index)

Running faster than the index is the problem John. You're still going to put out a lot of money to be able to do that.

Stick with Footbrake. The money is there if you will travel to collect it.

Good luck Saturday at Raceway Park boss. I'll be in Denton, Tx for 3 days and we'll see if I can carry some loot out of there. :D

I am having a brain fade of who the owner was, but back in the mid 90's I was talking to the comp guys from southern Cal that raced the beautiful Spies & Hecker Olds in Comp. He told me that comp was so expensive that it cost him money even if he didnt show up at the race. That would refer to someone banging the index and he would have to improve performance just to stay on par with the class.

That would be the Chapparone Bros. ,Tony & Mark out of the San Diego area.
They have or had a chain of auto body places in the San Diego area. Their paint jobs on the race car were always AWESOME !! Another guy from that area that always had GREAT paint jobs was Mathais Ponce, really beautiful dragster !!

Running stock can be relatively inexpensive IF you don't want to be the fastest in your class. My brother bought a turn key J/SA Camaro, that runs .4 under the index, for around 8K. If you DO want to be the fastest, you are going to spend some serious cash. I have a friend that has bought three engines in the last year to be the fastest in his class. They weren't cheap either.

After qualifying, it's really just a glorified bracket race. The only problem with not being the fastest in your class is when you pair up with someone in the same class. If they are faster than you, you have to hope they redlight, sleep or break something.

I never looked at Comp as an inexpensive class, quite the opposite. It's still one of my favorite classes, love watching 8 second inline sixes, and 4 cyl dragsters, small block prostock cars and the like. Lots of variety, good racing, just not cheap. My dad worked for Paterson Racing for a bit and it's amazing the stuff they do to motors, and they build good ones if you got the cash. Alot of the PS guys come from comp, both engine builders and drivers, and technology goes back and forth, it's a great deal. If you want "cost effective" national event racing pick up a Super Street car, it doens't take much to build the motor and get a stop to hit the number. We run SC on a small budget, and have a great time with it. Too many people have went crazy with the super classes building 70k dragsters and 400k tow rigs with giant trailers, but we still go rounds against them because it's not really the money that wins in the super catagories.

They lease their engines and will continue to do that in P/S. Big expense is for teams with their own enigine development prgrams.

And please don't confuse the term less expensive with cheaper. It's just that there is more to gain by running P/S than an 800+ c.i. engine in Comp.

Would that be Vinnie and David's team??? I guess they sold David's car because he's not at vegas. Vinnie went up there last night and went WAY RIGHT right off the starting line. I sat next to his POSSE in the stands and they're awesome Folks!

Timmah!

PS: Mad Props to the Professor as Lee Made a nice solid pass!

My dad and I looked at Vinny's car with great interest at Indy a couple years ago. As I probably posted a few times, my dad held the A/A NHRA speed record back in 1970, so we are both certified altered nuts. Regarding how times and costs have changed, here's a funny story. Back in that same year, I remember my dad said the owner of a company that he bought parts from was in town, and wanted to come and meet him and see "the race shop". Well, my dad was in a panic. This was 1970, we liived in a little 2-family my parents owned, and the "shop" was a little, 2 car garage out behind the house. I mean little. For my dad to show him the race car, he had to lift up the overhead door, move the bicycles, hand mower, and whatever else was there so that he could show off "the shop". It did have a heater, because he & the boys would rebuild the car each winter. The open trailer was parked on the grass, next to the garage. I'm sure a lot of Maters who have been around the sport since the 70s or so could relate to this picture.

Would that be Vinnie and David's team??? I guess they sold David's car because he's not at vegas. Vinnie went up there last night and went WAY RIGHT right off the starting line. I sat next to his POSSE in the stands and they're awesome Folks!

Timmah!

PS: Mad Props to the Professor as Lee Made a nice solid pass!

Thanks-that's a tough field-we'll have to step it up to stay in. I think you are right about David's car, because he's not entered at Pomona either and he wouldn't miss that race. And you are right about the Vinnie's team-i hate the fact that I'm not going to be at Pomona next week for a couple of reason, but not getting to see those guys is right at the top of the list. Stop by our trailer and Vinnie's trailer and tell them I said hi. And watch out for that little four cylinder dragster too-Al's been driving like a man possessed lately.

I love the oddball comp cars, going all the way back to Jewell-T, Ralph Hope, Jack Ditmars and others. When I started hearing that guys were cutting up and rewelding V8 head to make a straight six head, well that sealed the deal for me. Mad scientists rule!

Mark

How about Frank Aragona.. running a Subaru engine in his Altered and qualifying in the Top 3 or 4 most races...

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back