Ron Capps to drive NAPA/Race for Autism Late Model at Madera on Saturday (1 Viewer)

[coverattach=1]Capps will make NAPA AUTO PARTS store appearance in Visalia, Calif., on Friday

CARLSBAD, Calif. (Aug. 25, 2009) - Ron Capps, the NHRA Full Throttle Drag Racing Series Funny Car class-best five-time winner this season driving the NAPA AUTO PARTS Dodge for Don Schumacher Racing, will take to the one-third-mile oval at Madera (Calif.) Speedway for the second time this year on Saturday, Aug. 29. He'll be driving the NAPA/Race for Autism Late Model for Carlos Vieria, for whom he drove back in April in the NASCAR Whelen All-American Series Western Late Model division.

Second in the NHRA Funny Car rankings, Capps will compete in the 100-lap feature of the “Race & Ride for Autism” night charitable fundraiser under a partnership between Carlos Vieria Racing and PRO-RDS, a motorsports development firm. “Carlos and his professional Late Model team are helping make a difference and we are always willing to support a good cause,” said the firm's president, Nathan Svoboda.

"I'm excited, because I'm getting to go back and race in Madera in the No. 51 NAPA/Race for Autism car that I drove for Carlos in April," said Capps, who finished sixth in that event. "Carlos has a two-car team with very nice equipment, which reminds me of our team at Don Schumacher Racing. All the equipment is first-class and every person working for him is incredible. And that was proved when I showed up for the first time driving one of these cars earlier this year and started from the back to finish sixth.

"I had such a great time helping support Race for Autism, and this weekend the car will feature our sponsor NAPA AUTO PARTS on the back panel. To be able to drive a race car, which is what I love to do, and raise money at the same time for a great cause, is incredible. On top of that I'll be making a NAPA AUTO PARTS store appearance the day before the race and those are always fun.

"Driving a Late Model is so much fun and so demanding, especially on a tight, small NASCAR track like this one. Madera is known as the ‘fastest 1/3-mile in the West’ and things happen so fast there. You have cars all around you, and you also have a spotter in your ear talking to you, letting you know that somebody's inches away from you.

"Believe it or not, competing in these races helps me drive the Funny Car, because of the hand-to-eye coordination that is required and, for sure, the car feel. I can always take what I learn on a short-track oval and use it when our NAPA Funny Car goes up in smoke and gets a little loose and I'm having to get it to the finish line."

A new NAPA AUTO PARTS store will be opening in Visalia, Calif., on Friday, Aug. 28, with a grand-opening celebration planned throughout the day, including an appearance by Capps from 12 noon-2 p.m. with the NAPA/Race For Autism NASCAR Late Model.

Details about the Race For Autism campaign may be found at Race For Autism - Carlos Vieira Racing and information about Don Schumacher Racing and Ron Capps at www.shoeracing.com .

Facts about Autism
Autism is a disability that typically appears during the first two years of life and is the result of a neurological disorder that affects an estimated one to 150 births and the functioning of the brain, impacting development in the areas of social interaction and communication skills. Both children and adults on the autism spectrum typically show difficulties in verbal and non-verbal communication, social interactions, and leisure or play activities, according to the Centers for Disease Control.

Attachments

• capps late model.jpg
    capps late model.jpg
    10.7 KB · Views: 17
Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back