Rini victorious in Mad Dawg finale (1 Viewer)

(8-16-09) Mooresville, NC - The Mad Dawg season finale in Mooresville last night looked very similar to the series opener from 4 months earlier, as New York native, Chris Rini, put his Dodge Stratus in the winner's circle. The latest win marked Rini's second Mad Dawg victory in what has turned out to be the most successful season of Rini's career.

The win in Mooresville wasn't without struggles, especially in qualifying where Rini tweaked the chassis set-up through every round, eventually sliding in the show on the bump spot of the 8-car main event. After qualifying had ended, Rini wound up placing a phone call to Jerry Bickel at his home in Missouri to discuss how to better navigate Mooresville's 1/8 mile. Bickel's advice included a 4-link change, after which, Rini's night begin to turn around.

Rini faced a tough Darrin Hoyle in the opening round of eliminations. Both drivers were on their game out of the gate, but Rini's Dodge pulled ahead at the stripe, clocking 4.155 to take the win. In round two, Rini met former Quick-8 Racer's Association Champion, Todd Howard, driving the Ford Probe of Jerry Williams. Rini clocked an identical 4.155, edging out Howard's 4.19 e.t.

Rini lost lane choice going into the final round against multiple champion, Ronnie Gardner, who has once again joined forces with car owner "Diamond" Jack Gaddy. Rini saved his best numbers for last, streaking through the traps at 4.147 @ 182mph. Runner-up time for Gardner and the Cavalier was 4.20 @ 180mph. "I can't say enough about ATI Performance, Speedtech, Car Quest, my engine builder Charlie Buck and my crew," says Rini.

Chris Rini's dream season began at Piedmont in April, where he won the opening Big Dog race, breaking the elapsed time record in the process. One week later Rini won the season opening Mad Race at Mooresville, followed by a victory in Dunn-Benson's Top Dawg series. "Now, if I can just win Piedmont's North vs. South Shootout in October it would be the grand finale of a great year," laughed Rini.

In other action last night in Mooresville, Chris Croom took the win in Little Dawg over a red-lighting Mike Heath. For more information on the Mad Dawg series, please visit Mad Dawg Home Page

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back