Rickie Smith retires (1 Viewer)

I will miss Tricky Rickie behind the wheel. Of all the events I have been to in the course of my racing fandom, Rickie has been at most of them. I have been at IHRA events when he won mountain motor pro stock at the old Bristol in the late 80s, NHRA events where he was very competitive in the 500 inchers, and events where he won Pro Mod. I was at Pomona when he was brought in as a hired driver and wrecked the car in Friday qualifying ('98 ?) and I was at Gateway yesterday when he locked up the Pro Mod title. The man has truly done it all in door slammer racing, I am pretty sure he even ran a few NASCAR events in the Busch series. You can be sure that whoever he is tuning for next year will be competitive from the moment they take it off the trailer the first time. Congratulations Rickie, there will never be another like you! It will be weird going to races and not see his name on the entry list.

I hope Matt wins the Bike Championship as well as the icing on the Cake for the Smiths this year.

2 of the greats retiring, Rickie & Frank Manzo.

Man he raced hard for a lot of years, its great to see him end his driving years with a championship. He's the kind of racer that the NHRA is built on.

Had the chance to watch Rickie and the late Ronnie Sox driving Gary Duckworth's Camaro match race back in the eighties at the local 1/8th mile track that a buddy of mine and I used to run. Still remember Rickie pulling up driving the semi. When he opened the side door there was a big sign inside the trailer that said "Are we having fun yet?" First time I ever saw that and I laughed my a** off.:D

always remember his stroh's light pontiac.
he was at cordova many years ago with this car - think it was a june event, somewhere around 1988

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back