Replace Pro Stock With This (1 Viewer)

JL is cool and all but your title makes no sense. Drag week already exists in its own wonderful universe, if you shoe horned it into NHRA it would be fraught with the same challenges we see Pro Stock having right now. Motorsports always evolves to the point of financial ridiculousness .... racers (yes racers are at fault) can't control themselves. Pro Stock needs a little help, but its still the first pro category I look at the results of.

I can wait they are coming to Cecil county Dragway and that place is like
30 minuets away from me, I hope I will see them going down the highway!

I can wait they are coming to Cecil county Dragway and that place is like
30 minuets away from me, I hope I will see them going down the highway!

2 or 3 years ago these guys came through our small town on their way to Indy from I think, Martin, MI. The route took them right in front of our shop, and it was pretty awesome watching the parade of cars. The local burger joint just down the street from us was a check-point, and after the sun went down, the real fun began, with the presence of local law enforcement! Lol!

Sean D

This is what pro mod should be. Street legal and driveable. Stock steel bodies with no chopping or channeling. Engine-open. Must be able to complete a 25 mile street loop around the vicinity of the track as part of the tech process. A 16 car field of cars like these would keep people in the stands and would be an easy sell to the public. I would happily pay NHRA's usury ticket prices to see this car run

The now defunct PROSTAR Motorcycle Sanction did that for a few years for the "ProStreet" class, Quit it about 2 years in.
The current ProStreet motorcycles would be hard pressed to survive a road test unless de-tuned a bunch, they are now running mid 6s in the 1/4 mile.
Last month at our last race a Honda ran a long string of 6.6s

This is what pro mod should be. Street legal and driveable. Stock steel bodies with no chopping or channeling. Engine-open. Must be able to complete a 25 mile street loop around the vicinity of the track as part of the tech process. A 16 car field of cars like these would keep people in the stands and would be an easy sell to the public. I would happily pay NHRA's usury ticket prices to see this car run

I disagree, Pro Mod is a class for serious Professional Racecars, not street cars. If you want to start a Pro Street class, then go for it.

Mark, do you go to the track when the street cars are running? For instance I've been to a couple of Pacific Street Car Association (PSCA) events and they put on a heck of a show. Most of the classes are heads up racing and the cars are very cool. But the Pro Street class is basically Pro Mod, none of them would be driven on the street.

Alan
P.S. Just to be clear this is conversational not argumentative.

P.S. Just to be clear this is conversational not argumentative.

here we go again....;)

I'm waiting for someone to really piss Alan off.... hulksmash.jpg

It's funny, everyone has their own opinion about what to replace PS with. I hope it doesn't go away, but if it did, IMO, it would be smarter to not replace it with anything. The money would be better spent adding to the round money for the fuel classes. It's a whole different world than a few decades ago, as far as drag racing spectators go. The "big show" is really about the fuel classes, a large percentage of fans head to the pits right after the last fuel car runs, it almost doesn't matter what comes next. It blows me away that the stands aren't packed for the alky cars! I can't even believe the trend I've noticed over the past several years of the stands thinning as Sunday progresses through eliminations. There was a time when nobody would budge until the winners were determined. This is all fine, as nothing stays the same, but if the big show's focus is going to be fuel cars, then NHRA needs to really do everything possible to keep those classes healthy. The great thing is, we still have all the other classes to enjoy, whether at an NHRA event or the various other series that exist out there.

I've seen so many attempts to create a heads-up "Real Street!" class over the years. They always start out with good intentions. Always, within a couple of years or so, you see nothing but retired pro stock cars that have had lights and wipers fitted to them.

It's the nature of the beast. Racers show up, see "low hanging fruit" and immediately start pushing the rules as hard as they can. Give them an inch, and they'll go for a yard.

I love going to the Divisional races cuz they have the alky cars. They are the showcase for the event, as far as MPH & ET go. Not knocking any other classes, cuz I love watching all of 'em. Wish more folks felt that way about alky classes at the National events, but maybe they think alky is just a slow version of the Pro cars.

I love watching the alky classes. They're completely different from the nitro classes in just about every way possible. From startup, to staging, to leaving, etc.

Alan, I was generally one of the five people in the stands on Thursday at Pomona to watch stock and superstock time trials. I generally disagree with most of your postings, but I enjoy hearing you call the stockers and superstock cars.

NHRA really needs a "hey, look at THAT!" class. ProMod is now prostock with a big lump of aluminum and magnesium sticking out of the hood. Unrecognizable cars and too many get down the track too consistently.

And yes, I have sat in the stands at Fontucky and Irwindale (the only track in the USA that makes you walk through a magnetometer to get to the grand stands) watching the roll the beams class, AKA street legal drags.

I love blown alcoholic cars. Been oh so fortunate to watch the likes of Manzo, Newberry, Jay Blake Ed Parker, Arnie Karp, the Bell Boy's etc for years here in the east for many years. When you hang on the fence at cozy tracks like Lebanon Valley the experience is awesome!

Alan, I was generally one of the five people in the stands on Thursday at Pomona to watch stock and superstock time trials. I generally disagree with most of your postings, but I enjoy hearing you call the stockers and superstock cars.

NHRA really needs a "hey, look at THAT!" class. ProMod is now prostock with a big lump of aluminum and magnesium sticking out of the hood. Unrecognizable cars and too many get down the track too consistently.

And yes, I have sat in the stands at Fontucky and Irwindale (the only track in the USA that makes you walk through a magnetometer to get to the grand stands) watching the roll the beams class, AKA street legal drags.

Mark,
Thanks for the kind words about my work. I really appreciate that. And I enjoy a good discussion, we don't all have to agree.

The point I was going for is that there are classes like you propose out there and they don't exactly fill the stands. So why would you think that if NHRA incorporated them it would keep fans engaged?

Your statement about getting down the track too consistently I think is the holy grail. Fans want cars that are on the edge, are exciting, and might crash or blow up as likely as they could make a great run. But to win, as a racer, you need to make the cars consistent as you will never win if you blow up or hit the wall every third run. So the racers will ALWAYS go that route. They want to win! Period.

Example: When it was determined that whacking the throttle was not a consistent way to seat the clutch and could be hindering performance, they stopped doing it. Was that better for the fans? Nope, but if you have a car and want to win, what would you do?

Alan

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back