Re-inventing Fuel Racing (1 Viewer)

It sure looks to me like the big show is going downhill rapidly and the nostalgia shows are on there way up. I've been to more than one nostalgia show this year where the place was packed.
Sure, they were much smaller venues, but the stands were still full.
It appears to me that the upper management at NHRA is doing all they can to line their own pockets and to heck with the association. Things like their reported stealing of sponsors from the racers, the attempt to sell the pro part of the association, high ticket and concession prices and of course, the stupidity of the countdown.
Figure it out, what does it cost for, say, a family of four to attend an NHRA event for one day, and what does it cost for the same family to attend a nostalgia event. Probably 50% less for the nostalgia event.

...... Not to mention the ridiculous hospitality stuff.........
.......Going from 65 square inches to 45 on the bug catcher....
..... the mega-beefy fuel parts of today will get a lot more mileage.

The hospitality stuff is a requirement for many sponsorship deals, it brings new people to an event that some business executives wouldn't otherwise attend.

Reducing the air and spark is also the easiest to tech. The fuel pumps would be reduced without a limiting rule. That way the tuners have the options for different engine combination's, and tune-ups.
Of course allow at least 95% Nitro :).
Take one mag out first ,and then the adjust the blower OD, or injector size to achieve the desired top speed.
The mega-beefy parts are already lasting longer without the rev-limiter pushing the rods into the pan, and the valves into the ports.

I think the path of least resistance, for starters, would be to try out Armstrong's plan, heck, NHRA should create a position for him to handle this very thing. This way, we can go back to 1320 racing, NOTHING is suddenly obsolete, the cars are safer, and a whole lot less expensive. I think this would be a proactive, looking to the future kind of move, without being panicky and knee-jerk. Then, NHRA can focus on the task of marketing the sport to corporate America so that as the economy improves, whether it's in '09, '10 or whatever, companies will start to get involved.

If anyone thinks Nostalgia racing will get the crowds we're seeing now, look at just about any Nostalgia race, the crowds are nothing compared to a Natl. event. Would I mind seeing a couple of pairs match race at Natl. events, absolutely! But replacing today's Fuel cars with Nostalgia cars? Never happen...:rolleyes:

Have you ever been to the March Meet or Hot Rod Reunion?

Have you ever been to the March Meet or Hot Rod Reunion?

Nostalgia racing does boffo box office in Bakersfield and Boise -- tracks with no Nat'l Event and plenty of tradition.

It barely draws flies virtually anywhere else.

Ask the Goodguys VRA how well nostalgia drag racing did in Pomona. Or Vegas. Or Seattle. Or Indy.

How many people have a "Local" choice? My Nearest races outside of my local track is 450 Mi. from here. And if I'm going to Plop down $600-700 to go out of town to see Drag racing, I'm going to see 30+ Fuel cars, over 40 Alky cars, and even Pro mods at some races. I'm looked at Qualifying sheets at some of those Nostalgia races, and the disparity is incredible! If I was lucky enough to live near L.A. where I could drive an hour to see the March Meet or other Nostalgia races, yes I would gladly take it up. Other than that, this whole argument is Apples and Oranges!

There's six tracks within two hours of my house. :)

There's six tracks within two hours of my house. :)

VMP hour forty five to two
Budds Creek two & half
Richmond Dragway hour fifteen
The Rock about four
Charlotte Four and a half
Cecil county four
Reading four
Bristol about five or so.... ya can't get there from here... hate driving across 58 so I go Up, then Down....

d'kid

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back