Rare-OCIR World Series of Drag Racing footage discovered 1-10-81 (1 Viewer)

The Little Lizard

Nitro Member
Rare-OCIR Super Bowl of Drag Racing footage discovered 1-10-81

***UPDATE 10/30/10*****
The Superbowl of drag racing videos can be found on You-Tube BY SEARCHING "1-10-1981 OCIR", I have rotated different videos on to the Little Lizard you tube site as I do regularly so you must search for them on your own if you so desire.

Thanks for viewing.

Rare-1-10-1981 OCIR (Orange County International Raceway) Super Bowl of Drag Racing nighttime nitro footage discovered, featuring Snake, Mongoose, Bobby Pickett, Connie Kalitta, Jeb Allen, Gary Beck, Jim Dunn up in Roland Leongs car (first F/C in the 5.80's footage), Kenny Bernstein, etc. Some say this was the greatest test and tune/warm up race for the Winternationals ever! You can view this footage through web link provided below:

YouTube - TheLittleLizard1's Channel

P.S. If you love real dry hops, this footage has the good (real) stuff!

Footnote: In the Gary Beck and Jeb Allen TF/D at OCIR 1-10-1981 footage, at 2:05-2:26 is even rarer footage of one of my mentors, veteran and historical northern California (Sacramento) Nitro tuner Chris Raynor (long time partner of my other mentor Jim "The Lizard" Herbert) tuning and turning the wrenches for car owner Larry Minor & driver Gary Beck in the final. He's wearing dark blue pants, and dark blue Simpson Jacket with orange/gold/yellow strips around upper arm sleeve. (He's kneeling turning off the fuel then standing).

;):)

Last edited:
Funny, I don't remember them doing so many dry hops, etc. Seems like it takes them forever to stage the cars compared to today. Those were the days...

What's up with the World Series deal? That name has been owned by the Cordova, IL for many years, since the late '50's I believe. Although, I do remember reading that they had to change to name for awhile.

My hiccup, the January 10, 1981 event at OCIR was the Super Bowl of drag racing. oop's

P.S. That's what I get for typing on the subject of drag racing and watching the S.F. Giants at the same time! LOL:)

:rolleyes:;)

Last edited:
What's up with the World Series deal? That name has been owned by the Cordova, IL for many years, since the late '50's I believe. Although, I do remember reading that they had to change to name for awhile.

Close....The World Series started at another track in the 50's (dont remember the year or track, I am thinking Kansas)...After a few years I beleive it got moved to Cordova when the track was built and has been there ever since...2010 being the 57th year of the event...

***UPDATE 10/30/10*****
The Superbowl of drag racing videos can be found on You-Tube BY SEARCHING "1-10-1981 OCIR", I have rotated different videos on to the Little Lizard you tube site as I do regularly so you must search for them on your own if you so desire.

Thanks for viewing.

Last edited:
Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back