Randy Meyer Racing TAD (1 Viewer)

Give them the 500 Cubic Inches and clutch management that a TF car has and they'll be running 4.80s at 305 mph. before lunch......
Alan

So Alan, how quick would a blown alky dragster run, with 500 Ci & a clutch management system, no blower restrictions, no fuel pump restrictions? You think 4.99 would be possible?

You could definitely get both combos into the 4's by lifting some restrictions. Now, since we're fantasizing, who wants to talk injected nitro FCs?
:D

OK, injected on nitro F/C. "Unrestricted" I'd think 5 flat & real close to 300. That would be soooo cool to see "unrestricted" A/FD & injected F/C! 1/4 mile.....

Yes it would, but it would just make those classes even more expensive. At the very least, there's no reason not to create an A/FC class that can run on parity with the blown cars. The dragsters have been pretty darn close now for years, I think NHRA can get the rules in the ballpark and tweak over time. But, this is a topic that has been argued for a long time.

Apples & oranges in T/AD. The nitro cars are held back a bunch, but even with the restrictions the way they are now, I still think injected nitro makes more HP than blown alky. Altho I gotta admit, it is fun to see which combination can win on a given day, with various track conditions. Kinda like Pro Mod, where the nitrous cars can outrun the blown alky cars under certain conditions. By the way, it is really amazing that a nitrous Pro Mod, on gasoline (yeah I know, 190 octane ha ha) & nitrous can run 5.70's at 250. How many stages are they running in 1/4 mile? 5 or 6 stages of nitrous?

Like anything, at that level it's not as easy as adding headers to a street car. Give today's teams free reign and enough time to get the combo worked out, and they would fly.

Didn't the IHRA try this as "pro fuel?" From what I saw, they were no quicker than the A/Fuel cars in the NHRA.
Yes they did & IHRA allowed nitrous oxide as well. There were some NHRA A/FD that showed up, but without nitrous. My 2 cents: if you ran an injected nitro engine, say 900 CI, with 6 stages of nitrous, you still wouldn't be as quick as a T/F car today.

900 inches, nitro, and nitrous would be a drastically different combo than anybody has ever attempted. Most likely nothing will ever run with s TF car other than a TF car. However, as far as dipping into the 4's, the current A/Fuelers would only need a little bit of restrictions lifted.

However, as far as dipping into the 4's, the current A/Fuelers would only need a little bit of restrictions lifted.
I bet bumping nitro percentage back up to 100% and/or clutch management would be all it would take. Hard to believe it's been 13 years since Myers laid down a 5.10 on 100% and 10 years since Reichert did it on 97%. The way engine technology continually improves it wouldn't be hard to hit 4's with a couple of minor tweaks.

One milestone was A/FD breaking 250 MPH. Ed Vickroy did it in a car normally driven by Don Enriquez & it had injector stacks on it. Gene Adams tuned it. Vickroy ended up going 254 MPH & a best of 5.77 ET. Don't remember the year, but Phil Burgess ran a comparison of this car with Don Garlits 1975 T/F car, the first to run 250.

thanks cliff.....ed vickroy run is what i was thinking about.....i was way off on the et.....will probably get scolded again for
not knowing the exact correct numbers

That was 1992...

http://www.draglist.com/draglist/se...MITTER=&LASTUPDATER=&RACERWEBSITE=&PHOTOLINK=

My 900 inch injected nitro combo is kind of a "fantasy". I have been thinking, suppose there were no blowers in drag racing? Then you probably would have a monster combination with nitro & nitrous. Or, suppose we had a nitro ban & everyone had to switch to alky? I could see the same thing, ie: monster CI & nitrous with a screw blower & clutch mgt system. Ah, just me thinkin' out loud. :)

Wow, it was that long ago?? I was not at that race but did see the race report on TV. I have it on a VHS tape somewhere. I do remember that the car was so much faster than anything else out there. Didn't realize it had the 2.90 gear. No wonder it ran so fast. Hemi head rat motor....

5.103 by Bill Reichert in Houston. I still remember listening to the run on the Audiocast and it was one of the few times an A-Fuel car left my jaw on the floor. It was quite muggy the day he ran that too, so conditions weren't exactly the best, which makes the run even more impressive. I also believe he was running under 99% pop.

I've talked to a few A/Fuel tuners, they say(?) the most they ever ran was 98%! Tipping the can is very unpredictable.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back