Quickest Wheelstanders of all time!!! (1 Viewer)

Tim5636sc

Nitro Member
Check out this list.... From THE Drag List....

http://www.draglist.com/lists/ws-et.txt

WHO WAS YOUR FAVORITE WHEELSTANDER????

Being a so cal kid, I was always partial to Deisel Louis Force, and "SMOKEY" Joe Douthit's SMOKEY RED wheelstander!!! The Knott's Berry wagon was cool, and nobody puts on a show like Ed the Outlaw Jones does! AS FOR Tradition...HEMI UNDER GLASS was awesome, especially since my Dad Bracket raced his 65 cuda for years!

By the way, does anyone know how I can get a hold of Joe Douthit? Last I heard he was racing a Jet car.."CALIFORNIA SMOKEY". I'd love to see if I could grab a pic of his 69' Nova Wheelstander!!!!

Bob Perry's "Hell On Wheels" tank and the original "Paddy Wagon" van (a regular at National Speedway)... Paddy Wagon because it went right to the back bumper, and the tank because...well, because it was a TANK!! :D

Also BackUp Pickup...

Geez, I've seen a bunch of wheelstanders over the years at Cordova.

Little Red Wagon
Chevy Rebellion
Hemi Under Glass
Paddy Wagon
Chuckwagon
Superwinch
Emergency West
Rain X
Cool Bus
Jolly Rancher
Hell On Wheels

I'm sure there's several others that I'm forgetting. Little Red Wagon, Chevy Rebellion, Paddy Wagon and Hemi Under Glass were probably my favorites but I enjoyed them all. By the way, does anybody remember the Mini-Hemi Unger Glass? I only saw it run a couple times but I remember it was basically a go-cart with a funnycar body and a turbocharged Kawi engine. It wasn't a wheelstander but it sure hauled ass!

Mexican jumping bean, he was by far not the quickest but he could keep
do a wheelstand on ice!
RoyTrevino's " Maxi Taxi" was also a fairly quick wheelstander.
mike"starterman" hodge

Here is a video link to a Chvy Rebelion vs Paddy Wagon run from last year at Eddyville...

Wheelstanders Eddyville

But by far my favorite wheelstander has been the Texas Bandit Pickup and PT Cruiser...Very sharp vehicles and and Tony Caprio(sp) is one heck of a showman...I will see if I cant find a video clip for ya...

Saw most of the above at our local tracks-D42 and Thompson. For those familiar to these tracks how can anyone forget local "hero" Jim Brewer? He had to be one of the craziest wheelstanding pilots around. You would never know what he would show up with to race with as far as body stye would be.
Having traveled by his house and shop each day going to work I witnessed some of his antics. I have personaly seen him drive his wheelstander from home to shop up on the rear wheels on a main road, over some railroad tracks. He had a very "colorfull" reputation in the Cleveland racing area!

Tommy Maras "Moonshot Chevelle" was popular for a time in the 70's. He toured with Roy Trevino for a while. I think Roy's car was called the "Texas Rare Bear" at the time.

Actually got to do a short wheelie in the "Moonshot" at our local track. The hardest part was looking out the floor panel to see where you were going.

My favorite now is the "Cool Bus."

Last edited:
Jim,

I too remember seeing Brewer at Thompson. Especially the Cadillac and the futuristic space ship thing. Didn't he also have the wheelstanding bathtub? Maybe that was someone else.

I also remember seeing a coupe that did "reverse wheelies" by having a secondary frame and a hydraulic lift of the back of the car as it went down the track. It was at '42 in the early seventies. If I remember right, it was just a red-primered car.

My personal favorite is the Hemi Under Glass as I had the pleasure over the last 10 years of getting to know Bob Riggle fairly well when he was in the Ohio area. There isn't a nicer guy around. I will always remember the night 4 years ago when we went out to a late night dinner at a Denny's in Mansfield with Bob and listened to stories until about 2 am. My nephew still talks about it.

One of the really unique wheelstanders, and one of my favorites, was the Backup Pickup.

I remember seeing at Minnesota Dragways back in about 1973 the Paddy Wagon, Little Red Wagon, the Fugitive, and Hemi Under Glass. What a fantastic show they put on. Don't remember much of what kinda numbers they ran.

Bob Riggle had Hemi Under Glass at Indy in '96 (my first time there). As I recall, he ran a mid 11 second run wheels up all the way down at about 130 mph. Pretty impressive, I think.

As a trivia question....HOW MANY "HEMI'S UNDER GLASS" wheelstanders were there?? and What type of cars were they????

In addition to some of the ones already listed, back in the late 80's and early 90's I remember Danny O'Day and the Wind-Up Pickup racing at the Thrill Shows at Atco. It was a good act for kids, they would act like the truck wouldn't wheelstand until the crew wound up the truck.

My all time favorite has to be 'General' Jerry Lee. He had a stake bed truck and HAD to be among the craziest EVER to run a wheelstander. I remember one night a Lions when Lee even performed a miracle! He had made his run down track and disappeared into the finish line fog bank that old time Lion's addicts might remember. Next thing out was Top Fuel and CJ had allowed a bunch of folks out to look at the track. Next thing we all knew here came Lee. Wheels up and throwing sparks off the mag bar on the back. Well...Lee misjudged the shutoff point and set the front wheels down at about the tree. He grabbed ALL of the brakes and slided sideways through the area behind the starting line. Folks were running everywhere, including this poor guy on crutches! I never will forget the look on his face as the threw the crutches on the ground and ran like holy he$$! Needless to say 'The General' was banned from Lions FOR LIFE by an irate CJ Hart!

The Little Red Wagon! I had breakfast one morning in St. Ignace with Bill Golden. He tells some great stories. I told him I had some 8mm movie film of him and the Wagon at Tri-City Dragway, from around 1970. He said he damned near lost it there. I said yeah, got it on film. in the dirt, top end!

The Little Red Wagon! I had breakfast one morning in St. Ignace with Bill Golden. He tells some great stories. I told him I had some 8mm movie film of him and the Wagon at Tri-City Dragway, from around 1970. He said he damned near lost it there. I said yeah, got it on film. in the dirt, top end!
Bill's got a Myspace page, check it out. MySpace.com - Bill "Maverick" Golden - 73 - Male - Kensett, Arkansas - www.myspace.com/thelittleredwagon A few days ago he was in the chatroom answering questions. :cool:

The Back Up Pickup was pretty wild, he mounted the body backwards so it looked like he wheelied in reverse.

The LA Dart and the Fugitive were the 2 coolest looking in my eyes...........

My vote is for the Little Red Wagon and Bill "Mavrick" Golden....lol... maybe i am biased.. we spent a weekend together with his wife at a trade show.... company had a working relationship with him... and he is a blast to hang out with and talk to...

Favorite thing was taking him to Mortons Steak house in Chicago.... and seeing his reaction to the prices.... even after telling him we were paying.. he still ordered a salad....lol... next day we tried to take him to breakfest.. he hid from us in his truck .. we found him eating a bowl of cereal... lol

I've seen alot of the old wheel standers over time... two of the "Hemi's under glass" making a side by side pass at Rockingham stands out to me....

Billy

Like Tim I always liked Bill Shrewsberry's Berry Wagon. As a kid Knott's was my favorite place to go. Back in those days the park was wide open and you only paid for the rides you wanted to go on. The late sixties screwed that up when the flower children started living in the park. I always enjoyed the Berry Wagon when it made appearance at OCIR.

Later in the late 80's or early 90's I was working in Irvine and one of my routes around traffic was up Grand Ave. through Santa Ana into Orange. The Berry Wagon was parked out in front of a gas station on Grand Ave. between I5 and the 91 Fwy. I was always going to stop and talk to the owner but never did. Then one day it was gone and the station was closed. Any time I go by that area I still wonder what happened to the car.

Found a this picture of the Berry Wagon

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back