Question regarding fuel motor warm up procedure (1 Viewer)

Jimmer

Nitro Member
This is my first post here, so cut me some slack if it's been asked before. The DSR team has been posting quite a few videos lately of their warm ups. In all of them, a crew member tightens down what appears to be a slip collar on the mags BEFORE another guy puts the timing light on the engine, and almost as soon as the engine is running. After the timing light is removed, the first guy then tightens down another 2 collars. Now I can only imagine what would happen if the timing is off and someone tries to start a nitro motor, so can someone explain to me what exactly I'm seeing? Are the mags left loose at start up?

This is my first post here, so cut me some slack if it's been asked before. The DSR team has been posting quite a few videos lately of their warm ups. In all of them, a crew member tightens down what appears to be a slip collar on the mags BEFORE another guy puts the timing light on the engine, and almost as soon as the engine is running. After the timing light is removed, the first guy then tightens down another 2 collars. Now I can only imagine what would happen if the timing is off and someone tries to start a nitro motor, so can someone explain to me what exactly I'm seeing? Are the mags left loose at start up?

there's a double mag bracket that bolts both mags together the center bolt is probably loosened first then the guy is looking at the timing, and if its off from the number predetermined
the guy on the mags can loosen the band clamp and turn the mag to the right setting. once the guy looking at the timing sees the timing is right he nods to the mag guy and he tightens the clamp. so this would be done to both mags if necessary and once that is done the mag guy tightens both clamps, and the bracket as well. if the timing is good then he just checks the clamps maybe tightening them more if necessary and ( cut u some slack expired) puts his tools back where they go in the tool tray.. 🏁 🎃

I think you're looking at the second start up. They would have started in on gas and set the mags, then they started it on Nitro. The mag guy was finishing up while it they started it the second time. The top is just a brace to keep the mags from shaking around since they are so heavy and only mount with the bottom clamp.

Having the timing off on a Nitro engine isn't any different than having the timing off on a gas one. You put the mags in and from TDC you can get them within a degree or two. If you're dumb enough to put them in 180 out you're going to start it on gas first anyway, so it's still not a big deal.

Alan

Unless it has changed recently and I missed it (quite possible) There are triggers in the mags as well, if you have a failure while starting it you can switch systems.

Alan

the triggers inside are connected to the racepak to give the phase angle.....
and will be adjusted to the safe middle of the retard range

If they are doing a normal teardown, The mags, crank, cam, and gear timing are not changed. Unless there is a fresh block installed. The timing is the same …..unless the want a bit retard or advance. They don't pull the mags during maint. unless they are giving them issues.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back