Question For Computer Software Savy ! (1 Viewer)

Larry

Nitro Member
Well this thing keeps telling me I need to set time to get Microsoft updates loaded. So far I have set a time I know I won't have it on.
Too proud to ask brother who read windows for dummies and became an expert.
Question: What about these updates do we need them?
I have service pack 2 on two computers and have had problems with viris protection and service pack two.
Updates YEAH !
Or updates NO!
Some one said one time if you are happy with the performance of your computer don't bother.

common best practices dictates that updates need to be applied. that said, you first need an automated backup process, usually an external hard drive with a decent backup program to create an image backup of your drive. This should occure every night and always before applying any updates because every once in awhile and update fails to properly work.

I agree with the others. Definitely update service pack 2. There were some fairly serious and definite security issues with Windoze XP. Most people I know who never update Windoze XP because they've been told by "My cousin who really knows a lot about computers to never update" have problems. Wrong thinking in my opinion.

I rarely have problems and I attribute that to the fact I update regularly. The same goes for my virus software and firewall. I've got them both set up so they update and scan automatically.

Well thanks everybody I forgot about the security thing.
Security has been upgraded on these things the last few years and its been that long since I received that word on here.
Pop up blockers work great and I can hardly remember what computer life was like without one!
Seems a few cookies and bam clean as a whistle.
It was to the point where computer life was full of worms and viruses and I remember a thread some one suggested
putting a bounty on people who created viruses to get rid of them.
Still an option as the virus programmers always figure a way around firewalls hence the security updates.

My home computers are at risk being always hooked up to the Internet and they get raided regularly by bugs but the laptop that is only at risk when hooked up doesn't get much business from the nasty things. In fact only once for the laptop.
E Mail scanners and spam blockers have improved a lot the last three years or so too.
As we all have computers, little tricks and observations about the computer world posted will always help some on the Mater.
I wonder if they have windows for dummies on a DVD with pictures! LOL

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back