Question about proteges (1 Viewer)

flapjack

Staff member
Nitro Member
I've been wondering how the arcana gets passed from generation to
generation, and happened upon the thought that crew chiefs have to
be mentors, or put another way, have proteges. But I cannot think
of master/student pairs, mostly because I only hear of the masters,
not the students, or hear of the students but not their famous masters.

Does anyone have some examples master/student pairs? For instance,
who tutored Armstrong, and whom did he tutor?

Last edited:
coil mentored guido. i'd say that went rather well. i think coil's last interview or what ever that was he said that there was acouple guys at jfr, that if they stuck with it would turn out good. didn't neff work with fedderly at larry minors. didn't beard mentor mike green and venables when they were with ormsby.

Last edited:
Ed McCulloch:

Jason McCulloch
Tommy Delago
Todd Okuhara
Ronnie Thompson

Dick LeHaie:

Kim LeHaie
Jim Oberhofer
Jon Oberhofer
Jimmy Prock
Donnie Bender

ok i am gonna do this in what i know and what i am unsure of.

Venables/Medlen
Ronnie Thompson/The Ace, Beard before that.
I am guessing Phil Shuler/Jimbo Ermalcovich
Todd Okuhara/The Ace, Roland Leong before that.
Jim Oberhoffer/Connie Kalitta/Jimmy Prock
Jon Oberhoffer/Connie Kalitta/Jim Oberhoffer
Mike Neff/Larry Minor/Dan Olson/Lee Beard
Jason M./Ed M.
Tommy Delago/Connie Kalitta
Brain Corradi/Mark Oswald/Jim Dunn before that
Nicky Bonafante/connie Kalitta
Donnie Bender/Dick Lahaie

I was wondering the same thing. I mean, I know Guger worked for KBR, but did Armstrong take Guger under his tutelage?

Your right about Mike working for Dale back in the ProComp days. The week before Indy Dale would stay at Seaport Automotive in Toledo, OH to service the car.
Mike would take a day trip to Cleveland to see his Mom.
The last I spoke to Mike was at Phoenix this past year, said the weather in Indy sucked and he would rather be back in LA.

Arcana? Damn Tom, impressive! But I digress. I have kind of a follow up question to all the historians out there. It used to be (I'm 57) that a lot of the crew chiefs/drivers of supercharged cars were former diesel mechanics, where the supercharger actually came from. Are there any of those guys left?

Now another off-subject interjection... but you mentioned them being former diesel mechanics.....I miss the days in the 80's, during the TV shows when Steven Evans and Mac would say what the drivers did for a "living". Sure, these days alot of the hired pro drivers don't do much else besides drive race vehicles.... but alot of big names today still hold lucrative jobs during the week, be it a family business or whatever. Alot of newer fans might not know that. Makes for some interesting conversation in my opinion.

Now another off-subject interjection... but you mentioned them being former diesel mechanics.....I miss the days in the 80's, during the TV shows when Steven Evans and Mac would say what the drivers did for a "living". Sure, these days alot of the hired pro drivers don't do much else besides drive race vehicles.... but alot of big names today still hold lucrative jobs during the week, be it a family business or whatever. Alot of newer fans might not know that. Makes for some interesting conversation in my opinion.

Helping to derail my own thread:

Matt Hagan: cattle farmer
Larry Dixon: property manager? I heard he owns some shops in Brownsburg.
Alan Johnson: AJPE
Bob Bode: President of AR-BEE Transparent Products, Inc.

I am drawing a blank on others...

Arcana? Damn Tom, impressive! But I digress. I have kind of a follow up question to all the historians out there. It used to be (I'm 57) that a lot of the crew chiefs/drivers of supercharged cars were former diesel mechanics, where the supercharger actually came from. Are there any of those guys left?

Didn't Bernie Fedderly fix trucks for a while?

Hope this is ok to post got this off of an old dragster insider to give credit where credit is due this is a Tom Nagy photo.

ff-dale.jpg

The caption under it reads

"then-world champ Dale Armstrong working on his world-championship AA/DA (that's a Top Alcohol Dragster for today's fans) in the pits at the 1976 Pop Hot Rod race. What I really like about it is seeing the transmission out on the ground, with "Double A Dale" hard at work and his longtime (and very young!) sidekick and protégé, Mike "Shadow" Guger assisting. Guger was with Armstrong pretty much everywhere he went, including the Bud King team. After a stint with the David Powers team, Guger is back with the Bernstein camp after following Rob Flynn there. Also note those Funny Car-style zoomies on the car. Interesting!"

Helping to derail my own thread:

Matt Hagan: cattle farmer
Larry Dixon: property manager? I heard he owns some shops in Brownsburg.
Alan Johnson: AJPE
Bob Bode: President of AR-BEE Transparent Products, Inc.

I am drawing a blank on others...

TJ Zizzo - Zizzo enterprise bodyshop ( paint sniffer and bondo sander)

Unrelated to crew chiefs, but related to proteges. Did/does Steve Plueger have an apprentice?

Ways To Support Nitromater