Pushing out the little guy (1 Viewer)

rckymtn3

Nitro Member
There's a trend in all sports venues that is eating up more general admission areas to allow the big money people to sprawl out. That's great for them, and their associates, and business partners, but it doesn't grow the fan base of the sport, it steals from it. It kills off the passionate fans by steering focus to the casual fan with deep pockets.

Case in point. This is a photo of an F1 Grand Prix, where they plow under a whole bunch of cheap seats (the only cheap ones) to make room for a giant paddock club for these folks who want to be seen at a race, not really watch the race. Tickets for this deal is north of ten thousand dollars (you can bet lodging is extra...a BIG extra). While the race is going on a mere 15 ft from them, they sit on leather lounges, sipping champagne watching a giant TV of the race. Granted, F1 was made for these types of folks, but this is basically who the sports marketing people are targeting in all sports. the people that really don't care about it, and will probably go to two or three races their entire lives, while they supplant hundreds, even thousands of potential lifetime fans from ever getting the "bug"

kevin-knauer-albums-my-pics-picture3273-f1-paddock-club-suite.jpg

The trend is to lure fans to come to a race, and enjoy everything under the sun that has nothing to do with racing. There was a thread not too long ago about making kid zones and all the other stuff like amusements and, well, diluting the racing experience with non-racing types. Listen, I think it's great you want to entertain your kids. If a race isn't going to do it, I guess you go see Cars III and watch Mater do something silly.

When I was being taken to the races by my father, even when I was VERY young, I jumped at it. I wanted to see the cars. Hear the loud machines. See them roar by. I was a kid into racing. I'm sure if I wasn't, dad would have taken me to something else eventually, basically, kid zones, but it just worked out perfect for us. He got to go more often (and we went A LOT) because it was considered family time by mom :D

My point is, focus on the racing fans, and the actual racing, that's the product. It's not a mega mall (which it has basically become).

Last edited:
At Bakersfield, they put in a high priced grandstand on the starting line. Big bux to get in. It has very few people in it every time.

At Vegas they no longer allow GA ticket holders into the beer garden "pit" along the fence. It offers (much needed) shade sooner than the g.a. bleachers on the other side of the track. Yet it's usually empty now.

What if.....

Someone put on a race like it was from 69-74... Cheap seats, basic amenities, reasonable entry fees, madcap advertising.

Just to see what would happen.

Unfortunately it's becoming less and less about the fans, and more about finding "marketing partners" and having fancy hospitality suites to entertain wealthy, deep pocketed sponsors and their friends and associates.

What if.....

Someone put on a race like it was from 69-74... Cheap seats, basic amenities, reasonable entry fees, madcap advertising.

Just to see what would happen.
They already do this twice a year at Bakersfield Ca. It's called the March Meet, and the Hot Rod Reunion. Infact, the HRR is next weekend.

We had the best seats for brickyard 400 . 4 years later-our seats were replaced with F-1 garages with suits above . Never went back after the replacement seats relocation

too many entertainment choices for joe average, who might have $100 in his/her pocket or might have $5000.
gotta' cater to all of them or they're moving onto entertainment choice #2 or #3.
IMO the joe with $100 is choosing home theater or a less expensive entertainment over spectating live sports.
stagnant or decreasing wages vs. escalating ticket prices = loss of previous ticket buyers.
watch the nfl - stadiums that used to brag about consecutive sellouts dating back years.....not anymore;
but their suites are full because that market has always been there and just recently are being catered to.
i'm hopeful the days of full stadiums for the popular sport/s of the day will return....there are plenty of seats
for the average guy at sporting venues.

The F1 crowds are at venues where you can likely only see mere percentages of the track and the action, which makes sitting in an area like what is pictured above, much more enticing. With drag racing, it's all right in front of you. No doubt it's the way accomodations are heading across all of sports, but I think it'll be a while before us bleacher creatures in the drag racing world have to worry about losing our seats.

Everything from the time you leave the home - to the track- and back home got to expensive to offset the cheapness of technology, high def tv, and comfort of home. Add to that with the net, everything is at your fingertips 7 days a week. This takes away the marginal fan, not the diehard. Problem is there are a ton of marginal fans.

It would not work. Americans are too spoiled now days!

Yea they're all afraid of getting a wood splinter in their ass, gotta sit on leather :rolleyes:

"They" are US, guys... WE will be the ones to attend this race, as it should be. Us, and those like us.

They already do this twice a year at Bakersfield Ca. It's called the March Meet, and the Hot Rod Reunion. Infact, the HRR is next weekend.

Eugene- you know its WAY different (MM and even CHRR) than it was even 10 years ago, much less 35-40 years ago. Agreed- those two races are the closest it gets in modern times, but my theory was taking the playbook from a PDA race at Lions or a Coca-Cola Cavalcade race at NYNS and just go with it as it was- how would that fly...

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back