Pro Stock Motorcycle Question (1 Viewer)

smokemasterJ

Nitro Member
Anyone know who actually makes a living racing PSM? I would imagine that Eddie and Andrew do, but who else? Since all 10 races up to the Countdown were won by V&H Harleys, if no one else is relying solely on the income from racing to go on... my twisted imagination sees a massive exit from the class. Perhaps a little drama thrown in to boot, like refusing to race? I'm sure there are rules against that, but... like I said just musing on what might send a message to the NHRA (who I'm sure won't change weights or anything else once the countdown has been set). OK get out the "dead horse" icons.

Steve Johnson has made a living racing in PSB for over 25 years. I would guess that PSB racing is the Arano's primary source of income and has been for a few years, since Lucas Oil began sponsoring them. I can't think of any other PSB competitors that rely solely on racing to make a living.

I think the percentage of drivers in any category, from TF on down, who actually make their living drag racing, is very, very small.

Steve Johnson has made a living racing in PSB for over 25 years. I would guess that PSB racing is the Arano's primary source of income and has been for a few years, since Lucas Oil began sponsoring them. I can't think of any other PSB competitors that rely solely on racing to make a living.

i always wondered how is it possible for Johnson and guys like Matt smith to earn a living in this class. The scraps, the PSB round money provides, surely pales in comparison to the overhead cost of a full time operation. I gotta believe these guys have some other income supplementing their racing endeavorers like inheritance, lottery winnings etc. :D

Most of the PSB teams have another business some motorcycle related.

Star Racing is heavily involved in all aspects of dragbike racing.
Hector Arana either has or had a car dealership in Fla.
Andrew and Krawlic work for Vance & Hines.
Shawn Gann and his dad own a Motorcycle Performance shop.

There are others, these are just off the top of my Nitro Melted head.

Dave Schultz and John Myers won every race there was during the mid-90's with one or two random winners thrown in. One or two bikes dominating the class is nothing new. If I remember right, Schultz had them all covered by a tenth back then too. The class survived. Then Matt Hines and Angelle won all the races. Then Geno Scali. It's a never ending cycle.

Greg Anderson and Jason Line won all the pro stock races and there are still other cars in the class.

John Force won everything there was to win in Funny Car.

The list goes on...

Dave Schultz and John Myers won every race there was during the mid-90's with one or two random winners thrown in. One or two bikes dominating the class is nothing new. If I remember right, Schultz had them all covered by a tenth back then too. The class survived. Then Matt Hines and Angelle won all the races. Then Geno Scali. It's a never ending cycle.

Greg Anderson and Jason Line won all the pro stock races and there are still other cars in the class.

John Force won everything there was to win in Funny Car.

The list goes on...

Dave and John did it with the same engines as everyone else had. I don't see a big future for PSM, but I am hearing lots of buzz about the nitro V Twins in NHRA next year.

what? was PSM contested @ indy? :rolleyes:

Priceless! I used to watch this class, I just can't do it anymore. It's pointless. There gonna get all the publicity over the perfect season they will have as a team come November. It's a sad situation. It's more than sandbags, it's greed and money in a bank account in Glendora, CA and the people who care less about putting on a class with fair rules or if a budget psm team can no longer compete. I have no proof to this, but I don't think it's far fetched to say sponsors are going to leave the class, already left, or don't even want to come in due to the situation. What do you tell a sponsor? Yes I can do my best to win, but the rules don't really welcome the possibility?

Priceless! I used to watch this class, I just can't do it anymore. It's pointless. There gonna get all the publicity over the perfect season they will have as a team come November. It's a sad situation. It's more than sandbags, it's greed and money in a bank account in Glendora, CA and the people who care less about putting on a class with fair rules or if a budget psm team can no longer compete. I have no proof to this, but I don't think it's far fetched to say sponsors are going to leave the class, already left, or don't even want to come in due to the situation. What do you tell a sponsor? Yes I can do my best to win, but the rules don't really welcome the possibility?

Kenny Koretsky( NitroFish) left because of the situation. Geico will no longer be sponsoring Karen Stoffer; although it hasn't been said or implied(yet) that the current situation is the reason.

I don't know................but I would bet anything that a Harley will win in Charlotte. :D And probably every race for the rest of this season!!!:rolleyes:

Dave and John did it with the same engines as everyone else had. I don't see a big future for PSM, but I am hearing lots of buzz about the nitro V Twins in NHRA next year.

They did, but the result was still the same. No one could come remotely close to matching the power that they had.

The Nitro harleys are going to be running the divisional races, supossedly at least 1 per divisional.
Top fuel and at least 1 gas class.

The Arana's work FOR Lucas Oil at the factory....racing is not their primary means of support.

I think it's safer to say, "same configuration" than same engine. "Same engine" implies a spec level playing field.

I wish the Nitro V-Twins raced better side by side.

George Bryce told me, during Johns dominance, that the same exact motor was available to anyone who wanted to spend that kind of money.

George Bryce told me, during Johns dominance, that the same exact motor was available to anyone who wanted to spend that kind of money.

George would be more likely to offer and deliver. Most offer and never do. Having acknowledged that, how many Star powered Teams have dominated (or even won) in any era that weren't Star.

No knock on George or Jackie, who have done a ton, in the best interest of the class. I also think the S&S/Star program was on the up and up. Larry Morgan and Sonny's, I think, influenced the horsepower separation with regards to that platform.

One of the interesting V-Rod angles, is that Harley/VHR, could put others on the program and still, through various means (ethical and not) control the results. It certainly would change the appearance of inequity.

I think we can agree that it generally takes at the very least, a special arrangement to lease or purchase state of the art, current, horsepower when you are competing against the supplier.

Pro Stock Car has a similar Lease/Purchase issue. Nature of the Beast.

Last edited:
George would be more likely to offer and deliver. Most offer and never do. Having acknowledged that, how many Star powered Teams have dominated (or even won) in any era that weren't Star.

No knock on George or Jackie, who have done a ton, in the best interest of the class. I also think the S&S/Star program was on the up and up. Larry Morgan and Sonny's, I think, influenced the horsepower separation with regards to that platform.

One of the interesting V-Rod angles, is that Harley/VHR, could put others on the program and still, through various means (ethical and not) control the results. It certainly would change the appearance of inequity.

I think we can agree that it generally takes at the very least, a special arrangement to lease or purchase state of the art, current, horsepower when you are competing against the supplier.

Pro Stock Car has a similar Lease/Purchase issue. Nature of the Beast.

The issue is that the Vance&Hines engines are NOT available for anyone else except for Andrew and Eddie.
The ward head when introduced had to be approved and available to everyone that could pony up the bucks. NHRA also ran Star Racing through the same thing with the S&S motors, evidenced by the number of bikes having that platform.

The issue is that the Vance&Hines engines are NOT available for anyone else except for Andrew and Eddie.
The ward head when introduced had to be approved and available to everyone that could pony up the bucks. NHRA also ran Star Racing through the same thing with the S&S motors, evidenced by the number of bikes having that platform.

Not just V & H engines, George Bryce has said he can't buy any V-rod engines or even "approved" body parts.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back