Pro Stock Burndown Today (1 Viewer)

jimbo

Nitro Member
I fast forwarded through the replay of the race tonight and did not see the burndown in person, read about it on the other msg board. Really don't agree with the double disqualification. Understand someones thought of cars overheating and start spitting fluid on the track, and ignoring the order to stage. But IMHO it was not the startermaking the call there. I am sure some NHRA higher up was in his ear telling him what to do. There was no threat of rain and the TV show was not live "Live" as far as I know. You want to bring drama back in let 'em race!

How long is long enough?
Back 'em up and shut 'em off after 90 seconds. Starter should give a verbal warning, restart them and tell 'em you have 15 seconds to fully stage after prestage or buh-bye. I'd send the fuel cars packing after 30 seconds. Just shut 'em off and throw 'em out, since with them it's an obvious safety concern.

Today's burndown wasn't a record....this MMPS contest likely was. 4 1/2 minutes at a damn 1/8 mile event.

I was watching 2 of the cars I worked on get 1sts at Pebble Beach on a livestream so I missed the burndown. Who were the perps?

Kind of ironic the only pro class with a full field gets a bye round via DDQ. I'm torn I can see both the racer's side and the official's..

I was watching 2 of the cars I worked on get 1sts at Pebble Beach on a livestream so I missed the burndown. Who were the perps?
Bruno Massel & Mason McGaha.
An NHRA starter has to be a tough job because racers can be a real handful if things don't go their way. I think they should've shut them down, back them up, run the next pair, then let them run with the understanding if they do it again they're outa here.

Who is this starter and where did he come from? Buster and mark lyle knew how to do it! Rick stewart " the iceman" prob would have had a heart attack if he were the starter lol

This one is pretty simple to me. They were told to stage. They didn't. They faced the consequences. The end. I remember a similar thing happening in Salt Lake City in Top Sportsman a few years ago.

I think they should've shut them down, back them up, run the next pair, then let them run with the understanding if they do it again they're outa here.

They can't really do that because of the set run order. The only time they will allow teams to shut off and run later is if something happens that is beyond the racers' control (e.g. rain spitting or a timing system malfunction). Once you pull up to the ready line, it's official and if you don't take the green, you're done.

NHRA.com has chosen to act like it didn’t happen. In Round One detailed results it only shows 7 races, with no mention at all of Massel and McGaha. In round 2 is just says “Coughlin runs the bye.”

This one is pretty simple to me. They were told to stage. They didn't. They faced the consequences. The end. I remember a similar thing happening in Salt Lake City in Top Sportsman a few years ago.
They can't really do that because of the set run order. The only time they will allow teams to shut off and run later is if something happens that is beyond the racers' control (e.g. rain spitting or a timing system malfunction). Once you pull up to the ready line, it's official and if you don't take the green, you're done.
I agree with all the above.

Anyone know who the gentlemen in the blue shirt was whispering into the ears of the starting line official who, then went directly to the starter? Happened twice I think.

This. In any other form of competitive sport, if you willingly choose to disobey a direct order from an official, you are subject to being removed from the contest. That is what happened here.

If both PS drivers refuse to stage, let them sit there until they overheat or run out of fuel. Then, push them back and send them home. That way, the drivers themselves decide what happens.
Maybe that will bring some excitement to what is now an otherwise boring class.

Massel said something to the effect of" everyone knows I am stubborn".
Well just give them a way to get in your head...

Last edited:
If both PS drivers refuse to stage, let them sit there until they overheat or run out of fuel. Then, push them back and send them home. That way, the drivers themselves decide what happens.
Maybe that will bring some excitement to what is now an otherwise boring class.
Brad had to alternatives-DQ them or let them sit there and run out of gas. As a fan, I would rather he let them sit there. By DQing them, he did send a message to the rest of the class.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back