Pro Privateers shouldn't expect two- day races to be new normal (1 Viewer)

Al

Nitro Member
This is an interesting article on Competition Plus :
http://competitionplus.com/drag-racing/news/pro-privateers-shouldn%E2%80%99t-expect-two-day-races-to-be-new-normal
I was disappointed that the event (Seattle) that I have made the 12 hr. drive to since day one, will only have 2 days of Pros this year, BUT much better than the event being cancelled (which hopefully won't happen). If the alcohol classes are running, I will be there Friday regardless. The Friday crowds have thinned since the end of night-time qualifying, not just in Seattle, but many places. A problem that I see though, is what if Saturday gets rained-out, but Friday didn't ??? They have now taken away the margin of error with the weather. This could create a real problem if you go into Sunday with no Pro qualifying, especially when you have more than 16 cars present.
The article also mentions a future possibility of Friday qualifying and Saturday eliminations with Sunday as a rain date. I don't see that being feasible because you would still wind up with thinner crowds on Friday and then a good crowd on Saturday. That removes one huge dollar-making day (Sunday) for the tracks etc., so I see that as financial suicide.
Most racers interviewed for this article had great points, but... "Steve Torrence would love it. His budget is bigger than those of Maroney and McMillen, but he and teammate father Billy Torrence have to be back in their office at Kilgore, Texas, by daybreak Monday morning and the extra day would help." From that quote, it sounds like he would be a proponent of Friday-Saturday races. Makes sense for him, but not for the people running the events.
Virginia Motorsports Park vice-president Tyler Crossnoe showed how smart he is by adding additional downside points about two-day events that many people wouldn't think of. So hopefully next season, things will return to how they were.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back