Priceless (1 Viewer)

I used to have a hat like that. What was the name of that movie, again?

I was getting into the comp eliminator final but it ran out of time. Any links?

Thanks for the video...I love seeing old videos especially if they are from Bowling Green

I used to have a hat like that. What was the name of that movie, again?

I was getting into the comp eliminator final but it ran out of time. Any links?

fist full of dollars.... for a few dollars more... good, bad, and the ugly...
ya could pick up the 'hat' in TJ for a couple of bucks... had one in brown and one in black...

d'kid

fist full of dollars.... for a few dollars more... good, bad, and the ugly...
ya could pick up the 'hat' in TJ for a couple of bucks... had one in brown and one in black...

d'kid

Wasn't it Butch Cassidy and The Sundance Kid? Na, that wasn't it. It was a famous movie, but being a Clint Eastwood fan I'm sure those weren't it.

Last edited:
>>>"IMHO one of the best classes ever in drag racing"

My opinion, too.... with a qualification:

Modified Eliminator is one of the favorite ELIMINATORS of people who, like myself, love the variety of cars that ran in so many different CLASSES that made up the eclectic mix called "Modified Eliminator."

It's easy to be confused about something that happened so long ago, but those two cars racing were different classed cars, or there would not have been a handicap. Same CLASS cars always ran heads-up.

Cotton Perry's Chevy II was an H Modified Production car (six-cylinder class) while the Corvette was a V8 and likely ran in E or F Modified Production (class).

But, they ran each other, in a handicapped race, for the Modified Eliminator championship.

Same Eliminator; different "classes."

I thought it was really interesting that you could hear that big six of Cotton Perry's down toward the finish line, over the high-winding small block Chevy in the Corvette! Some exhaust tuning going on there.... LOL!

Last edited:
Cotton Perry ran at my home track, Brainerd Optimist Drag Strip on the Georgia, Tennesse state line. I hadn't seen him since NHRA did away with modified class in 1982. He was the guest speaker at our track's annual driver's meeting last Saturday night. I gave him a bunch of photos I'd collected over the years and got his phone number. I gave him a call last night and talked for about an hour. His racing stories are endless. He told me a story about the hat. He said one year he was at Bowling Green and was walking through the pits and walked by Tony Christian who had a crowd around him. He said that Tony yelled out, "there's that want to be a cowboy that can't drive". Cotton said that there wasn't a qualifying ladder at that race and that he told Tony, "I'm going to follow you to staging and put you out first round". Tony said, "you wouldn't do me like that would you, I'm in a points chase and need to go some rounds." Cotton Perry had already wrapped up the Div 2 points and didn't need anymore. Cotton said, "well since you're begging, I'll tell you what I'm going to do. When they call us to staging, I'm going to the front of the line and if you want me, jump on me." Cotton said that Tony didn't get smart with him anymore. Cotton won the race but didn't run Tony that day. Cotton said that hat was his trade mark. He said somebody stole it out of his garrage several years ago.

Cotton Perry has been dirt track racing with his son, Jamie, for the past twenty years. His son has won numerous races and track championships, They are going to the first race of the season in a couple of weeks at North Georgia Speedway. He invited me to come with them anytime, which I plan to do soon.

Wayne.

Last edited:
>>>"I'm almost certain the Corvette was G/Modified."

I'd bet you're right. My guess that it was an E/, or F/ Modified Production car was just that; a wild guess. You can almost read the class on the windshield, but, not quite...

Last edited:
Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back