*** Please sign to help keep Fontana open *** (1 Viewer)

SoCal Racer

Nitro Member
There's an online petition to keep Auto Club Fontana Dragway open at this link:
http://www.change.org/petitions/county-of-san-bernadino-and-state-of-california...

It's an online deal and I don't know if this will help or not, but it can't hurt. You don't necessarily need to live in SoCal to sign, and some signers mentioned that they travel in for events. For those of you in other areas who don't know, Fontana is the last 1/4 mile drag strip operating on a weekly basis in all of southern Cali - and in NHRA's backyard! (Maybe Famoso could be considered southern, but for those of us south of L.A. it's a long haul.) With Irwindale closing just a few weeks prior there's a legitimate concern about a resurgence of street racing. That wouldn't be us since neither of our cars are street legal anyway, but kids will be kids.

OK, I'm out before I go on a rant ;)

With all due respect, David, this is now an issue with government rules and regulations. The "creative interpretation" of the current environmental laws will decide the ultimate fate of the track.

That being said, I haven't heard whether Fontana's parent company is up to the battle and expense of getting the study and making the necessary improvements anymore.

DG

With all due respect, David, this is now an issue with government rules and regulations. The "creative interpretation" of the current environmental laws will decide the ultimate fate of the track.

That being said, I haven't heard whether Fontana's parent company is up to the battle and expense of getting the study and making the necessary improvements anymore.

DG

Right, and as a fellow Californian you know how “creative” they can get interpreting laws. :rolleyes: However, my understanding is that it is an individual or small group of individuals that have complained about noise rather than environmental issues in the sense of pollution. If pollution was at issue it would seem to me these folks would be attacking the steel mill, railroad, junkyards, truck repair shops, and more in the area – plus the NASCAR facility. Your point about whether or not the track’s management has the financial wherewithal to fight this battle is well taken, but leaves me wondering if NHRA could help. :confused:

And again I don’t know if these online petitions carry any legal or persuasive weight, but I thought I’d put it out there. Thanks to any and all who sign!

Last edited:
DG is right. Until the court making a ruling everything else is on hold. Up for the battle, one sponsor said get er done!:D

DP, the party who brought the lawsuit has already gone after everyone that you mention in your above post. I'm with though on signing the petition. Sure wont hurt.

Last edited:
I personally have signed it and forward it to everyone I know.

It's been told to me many times over the years is that one of the biggest problems is that the biggest wig at Fontana Gillian Zucker has stated that, "Drag Racing is too dirt and noisy for my liking." (Paraphrased) She is only concerned with NASCAR and Indy Car racing. Without support from upper management, it's an uphill battle.

I also understand that had the strip remained on the south side of the property, the other party would not have any claim as it was more than 1000 yards away. The state's requirement is something like 65 decibels within a 1000 yards. But since they moved the track to the north side and made it a permanent facility (i.e. concrete barriers and timing tower) without pulling a new permit with the county, the track is in the wrong. The rail lines and all others parties are grandfathered in.

The judge has requested a new environment impact study before moving forward. Which is where they are at now.

With regards to NHRA supporting the facility. NHRA has a history of not supporting tracks in Southern California when it comes to pressure from the various governing entities wanting to close them. I.E. Lions, OCIR, Irwindale, etc.

Last edited:
It's being reported that things went well and the board was very receptive to everyone's concerns. Mike Rice from NHRA was there and spoke as well as many others.

Here's hoping something positive comes from it.

Who's Gillian Zucker?

David, I signed, this is a major issue Fontana needs to be open. Since KCIR has been closed we have already had a fatality related to street racing.

She is President of the Auto Club Speedway.

Mike, your right about the Board having no say in court. However, what's holding the court preceding up is the permit issued by the county. Had the track gone through the proper procedures when they moved the track to the north side of the property, this all may have been avoided.

BTW, I said in an earlier post that the required distance is 1000 yards; it's actually 1000 feet.

Racing fans urge Board of Supervisors' support for reopening of Auto Club Dragway - San Bernardino County Sun

Last edited:
As a big fan of the track, what can I do to help out? Is there a website where I can go to get information about this matter? I missed the Board of Supervisors meeting Tuesday and I really want to get on board and help SoCal get its track back.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back