Paul Mayo - Rest in Peace (1 Viewer)

ProStockJunkie

Nitro Member
I"m sorry to have to share this sad information with you, but Paul Mayo was killed in a freak wood cutting accident yesterday.

I just spoke with his nearly life long friend, Bernie Agaman, and he said that Paul's wife Jeannine was out for awhile yesterday and when she home she found Paul lying in the woods on their property, where he was cutting down a tree. The tree split in two, hitting him on the head, killing him instantly.

As soon as I have more information, I will pass it along.

Paul was without a doubt, one of the most positive and happy people it has ever been my privilege to call friend.

Paul campaigned Oldsmobiles in Super Stock for many years.

Jackee

Last edited:
This is very sad news as I'm an Olds freak and really liked reading about Paul and his Oldsmobiles. Life is short my friends,live every day like it's your last.

RIP Paul.

Sad... we raced Paul and Dick Baker it seems almost every weekend at National Trails in the late 70s.
Dick with his Buick and Paul with his K/SA (?) wagon. They were tough to beat. This was back in the days when local tracks ran stock eliminator before the ET bracket classes took over.
I`m sure Pauls car had some inspration for my brother to build his W-31 Vista Cruiser we used as a tow vehicle. RIP,Paul
mmrig1.jpg

Funeral Notices, Obituaries, and Announcements
Paul T. Mayo

Paul T. Mayo of Ginter, PA died on Sunday, Oct. 14, 2007 due to an accident while felling trees near his home.

Mr. Mayo was born in San Diego, CA on February 15, 1941, the son of the late David and Mary (Burke) Mayo.

Mr. Mayo served in the U.S. Navy and was a plank owner of the U.S.S. Kitty Hawk. In 1985 he retired from the National Hot Rod Association after a long and successful career winning many National Championships. Earlier this year he was inducted into the Legion of Honor of the National Nostalgic Drag Racing Association in recognition of his achievements during the 1960's and 70's.

He is survived by his wife, Jeannine Rockwell Mayo of Ginter and the following children; Joseph Mayo and his wife Mary of Frazer, PA; Timothy Mayo and his wife Sue of Downingtown, PA; Terri Wintersdorf and her husband Bill of Tavares, FL and Christopher Mayo and his wife Gudrun of Langenaltheim Germany.

Seven grandchildren survive; Joshua, Elizabeth, Theresa, Jessica, Rebecca, Zack and Hannah.

Mr. Mayo is survived by a sister, Anne Winnick Rabenold and her husband Norm of Phoenixville, PA and a brother, David Mayo and his wife Betty of West Chester, PA.

Also surviving are Mr. Mayo's mother-in-law and step-father-in-law, Joan and Jim Gray of Clearfield, PA.

A Memorial Mass will be celebrated in Christ The King Catholic Church, Houtzdale, PA on Friday, October, 19, 2007 at 11:00 am. Fr. Zab Amar will be the celebrant and military honors will be conducted by the Janesville V.F.W. Post 6321 and the American Legion Post #591, Houtzdale.

The family request memorial contributions be made to the Kitty Hawk Veteran's Association, the Altoona SPCA or to a charity of the donor's choice.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
I am in the process of clarifying the contributions information, how checks should be made out, addresses etc. I will provide the information as soon as I receive it.

Thanks for posting the picture Steve. May I send it to Jeannine?
Absolutely.
I was looking for any photos of Pauls wagon in my "archive" but had no luck. I remember it having a very nice/colorful paint scheme. Didn`t see that a lot for a stock eliminator car back in the 70s.
I don`t remember meeting any of Pauls family at the track, but tell her we remember Paul as a great guy and competitor. Steve

I'm pretty certain I remember his car at the Northstar Nats earliest races. (Early eighties.)

Always sad to hear of another Olds fanatic's passing.:(

RIP

The funeral home did not offer a Guest book, but they did send me a 'fondest memory' card which they provide for the family. I have it saved as a jpg... It's too large to post. If anyone would like one to share a thought or memory or even how Paul may have been an influence in your life in some way, please send me an email at [email protected] and I will send it to you. If you print it out, you can send it directly to Jeannine.

I would encourage those of you who have expressed your thoughts on this board, to share them with his family.

Jackee

Absolutely.
I was looking for any photos of Pauls wagon in my "archive" but had no luck. I remember it having a very nice/colorful paint scheme. Didn`t see that a lot for a stock eliminator car back in the 70s.
I don`t remember meeting any of Pauls family at the track, but tell her we remember Paul as a great guy and competitor. Steve

Hi Steve,
I hope you'll share your thoughts in the Guest Book which has been set up on line. There is a place to post photos also.

thanks

Thanks Steve and anyone else who signed the Guest Book. His family will not have the opportunity to see the thoughts and wishes that are expressed on Nitromater. So taking a moment to share them in the Guest Book, will mean a lot.

His service was well attended on Friday. The rifle salute and bag pipes to honor his time in the Navy, touched all who attended.

His obit said he was a plank owner in the Navy, but I don't know what that means.

Last edited:
Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back