P-38 Lightning "Glacier Girl" (1 Viewer)

Hutch

Nitro Member
"Glacier Girl" is the restored aircraft recovered after being frozen in ice until just a few years ago. Amazing recovery, and restoration story.

SOLE REMAINING 'LOST SQUADRON' PILOT TO JOIN GLACIER GIRL'S HISTORIC FLIGHT

As reported two weeks ago, the P-38 Lightning Glacier Girl will complete its World War II transatlantic mission, "Operation Bolero," that was cut short 65 years ago by bad weather. This week, the group making that epic flight announced that Brad McManus, who at age 89 is the sole remaining pilot of the historic "Lost Squadron," will ride in a P-51 Mustang alongside Glacier Girl for the first 100 miles of the flight. Dubbed "Operation Bolero II," the flight will depart New Jersey's Teterboro Airport on June 22. Track the flight in real time at visit Air Show Buzz © – Get the latest news on Air Shows & Aviation.

I saw Glacier Girl at the Oshkosh air show 2 years ago. It was the first time that plane was at Oshkosh since they put a few parts from her on display in 1991 (I think it was 1991) just after they finished digging her out of the ice (which took many years to complete)

Anyway..... I was able to touch a piece of the plane and see her in person... I was happy! :)

When they brought the aircraft's 20mm cannon up from the glacier, the thing was in such good shape that after a thorough cleaning and oiling, they were actually able to lash it down to a packing crate and bark off a few rounds!

That's a cool story behind that airplane. I hope it winds up in a museum somewhere or does a national tour. At KAPA, we just had a restored and flying B-17 on display here last week. The WW2 Vets sure flock to these types of displays. You get to talk to some amazing people and hear some really cool, first hand stories. They're great pieces of our military history that should be honored and enjoyed by everyone.

Last edited:
I remember reading an article in Air and Space magazine a while back on this plane and the expedition. I can't remember there was also a larger plane that they tried to retrieve like a B-29 or B-17, but it was crushed by the ice beyond repair. Here are a couple extra photos of Glacier Girl.

Airliners.net Photos: Untitled Lockheed P-38FLightning

Airliners.net Photos: Planes of Fame - Chino Lockheed P-38F

Airliners.net Photos: USA - Army Lockheed P-38F-1-LO Lightning

There was a near perfect B 29, The Kee Bird, that Darryl Greenamyer and a few others tried to retrieve from Iceland. After changing all 4 engines and after 2 summers of work, they were ready to fly it out and there was a fuel leak that started a fire near a generator and it burned to the ground. A very tragic event.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back