Orlando Speedworld questions. (1 Viewer)

HEMI6point1

Nitro Member
Anyone have any experience with this track? I'm thinking about going up to the Night of Fire in November. How's the area around or near the track? We found a Laquinta Inn near the track so we can rest before driving back the next morning.

pretty soon sam, you'll be able to hop on brightline train down in your area and travel to orlando int'l. airport, then just uber over to track.
O speedworld couldn't be easier to get to rite off the 520. if your driving up 95, there's inexpensive hotels in cocoa area as well.
went to 1st pro stock money deal a couple years ago. no complaints.

Anyone have any experience with this track? I'm thinking about going up to the Night of Fire in November. How's the area around or near the track? We found a Laquinta Inn near the track so we can rest before driving back the next morning.
I been going to that track since the mid 60's, so I think I can answer your questions.
The track has easy access from I-95, state road 520 and state road 50. It's located in an area called Bithlo, which is nothing but a bunch of junkyards and trailer parks. Plenty of free parking.
I've heard racers say it's one of the "best kept secret" tracks in FL. The bleachers are the usual hard aluminum, so bring a cushion if you plan on watching the races from the bleachers.
As for motel rooms close to the track, go west on state road 50 and there are plenty within a 10 to15 minute drive because the track is fairly close to UCF. You can also stay at Cocoa Beach and take the 520 to the track. Something to consider is, staying in Titusville, because it's probably cheaper with Titusville not being a tourist town. If you do that, SR 50 is a straight shot to the track. Titusville is actually closer to the track than Cocoa. I plan on going to that event myself, maybe we can meet there.
On a final note, with everybody moving to FL and a proposed extension of the 408 Expressway connecting to SR520 (guess what's in middle of that extension) there's rumors of a big development in that area,
So go to the track before another one bites the dust.

Last edited:
All I can say is bring your own food & drinks, the on-site refreshment stands are not of the highest quality and over-priced.

All I can say is bring your own food & drinks, the on-site refreshment stands are not of the highest quality and over-priced.
Oh yeah, one other thing, restrooms. There are permanent ones and porta-johns when nature calls.

......On a final note, with everybody moving to FL and a proposed extension of the 408 Expressway connecting to SR520 (guess what's in middle of that extension) there's rumors of a big development in that area,......
the proposed 408 extension, if passed, would terminate with the 520 just north of the track, not effecting the track, but you are rite jimi, orlando is expanding exponentially.
there is a planned a 'sunbridge' development by tavistock, that is currently taking place to the south of the track, and to east of lake nona area.

Hey Sam, this track is a throwback to my days of bracket racing in the late 70's. It is a great track and reasonably priced. As "Berserko Bob" Doerrer said, the on-site food offerings aren't always that good, nor are the bathrooms, but the atmosphere and racing is great. I'm not sure what "Night of Fire" is offering in November, but I've been to some great races at Orlando Speedworld. Most recently was a 2021 race sponsored by C-Tech and Drag Illustrated magazine which was known as the "World Doorslammer" Nationals. It was run there for 2 years as I recall, and was a tuneup for the Gatornationals in March so Pro Stockers showed up as well as Pro Mods and they ran for a ton of money to win their classes. As I recall they paid the Pro Stock winner $75,000 and the Pro Mod winner $50,000. They didn't continue the event this year, 2022, so something tells me they may have lost money on that event. It was awesome as was the annual "World Street Nationals" they used to run every November, but I think they have discontinued that too. I live about 45 min. from the track and yet don't attend much even though hey run stuff regularly...as in weekly. Should be lots of hotels not far away as stated, and those in Titusville might be cheaper than anything in Orlando close to the track as somebody mentioned.

the proposed 408 extension, if passed, would terminate with the 520 just north of the track, not effecting the track, but you are rite jimi, orlando is expanding exponentially.
there is a planned a 'sunbridge' development by tavistock, that is currently taking place to the south of the track, and to east of lake nona area.
I've seen 2 different versions of the 408 extension, 1 would take it like you said, north of the track and the other would be a massive interchange with SR 50, SR520 and the 408 extension. That would most likely take out the track with on and off ramps. I saw both plans once when I was servicing an engineers printers right before I retired 6 years ago. The pIan I saw that includes an interchange includes an eventual connection to I-95.
Two things to consider about this extension is, this may take many years to happen and anywhere there are easy access to roads, developments such a shopping centers, neighborhoods are sure to follow.
Either way, let's enjoy the race track while we can.

Hey Sam, this track is a throwback to my days of bracket racing in the late 70's. It is a great track and reasonably priced. As "Berserko Bob" Doerrer said, the on-site food offerings aren't always that good, nor are the bathrooms, but the atmosphere and racing is great. I'm not sure what "Night of Fire" is offering in November, but I've been to some great races at Orlando Speedworld. Most recently was a 2021 race sponsored by C-Tech and Drag Illustrated magazine which was known as the "World Doorslammer" Nationals. It was run there for 2 years as I recall, and was a tuneup for the Gatornationals in March so Pro Stockers showed up as well as Pro Mods and they ran for a ton of money to win their classes. As I recall they paid the Pro Stock winner $75,000 and the Pro Mod winner $50,000. They didn't continue the event this year, 2022, so something tells me they may have lost money on that event. It was awesome as was the annual "World Street Nationals" they used to run every November, but I think they have discontinued that too. I live about 45 min. from the track and yet don't attend much even though hey run stuff regularly...as in weekly. Should be lots of hotels not far away as stated, and those in Titusville might be cheaper than anything in Orlando close to the track as somebody mentioned.
There was several factors for the Drag Illustrated race not happening this year. One of them being only one off week between Phoenix and Gainesville. That would have meant the PS teams would have run 4 straight weekends. The PM class was on shakey ground prior to Gainesville so the car count would have been less than ideal. Drag Illustrated will probably put on another race at some point in the future but Wes Buck (Founder of DI) says the race promotions has taken years off of his life.

There was several factors for the Drag Illustrated race not happening this year. One of them being only one off week between Phoenix and Gainesville. That would have meant the PS teams would have run 4 straight weekends. The PM class was on shakey ground prior to Gainesville so the car count would have been less than ideal. Drag Illustrated will probably put on another race at some point in the future but Wes Buck (Founder of DI) says the race promotions has taken years off of his life.
Well, I suspected there was a bunch of reasons. I know that the race was thrown together the 1st year in no time at all, or maybe I'm mistaken that 2021 was the 2nd year, but in either case, it was a very big deal and I am sure Wes Buck and his team were frazzeled afterwards. I met Van Abernethy at the race and had a good chat with him. He got a picture of me in my vintage (Year-1) Drag Illustrated t-shirt from a race at PBIR around 10 yrs prior.

It was awesome as was the annual "World Street Nationals" they used to run every November, but I think they have discontinued that too.
Does this answer your question?

Street nationals.jpg

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back