Opinions Needed (1 Viewer)

The only informed opinion I have is on the delay box.I would and do run the mega 350 and 450. If you do test some the 450 is a good tool due to the playback feature.But that said, having the tach wire installed on the box during a race weekend is not a legal practice so the playback feature is no longer a bonus of the 450.So the 350 is the way to go then because of the slightly lower price due to the no playback feature.The only difference between the 3 and 450 is the playback feature.The mega boxes are great. Even better priced if you are a "Pro Shop" member of a certain mail order company...(just bought a new 350 last week at the "Pro Shop" and the price was killer)

It's time to spend that Christmas cash and upgrade the dragster. I need some opinions from the Mater family...

I run a bracket dragster which run's 7.90's. It is a slip joint with a 555 BBC (Dart 360 Heads, block and intake)

1st - Delay Box - Biondo Mega 450 or Dedenbear CC3 - Why?

2nd - Tires - Toyo 33x16x15, MT's, Hoosiers or Goodyears - Why?

3rd - Carb Spacer - Wilson 1" Cloverleaf or 2" Super Sucker HVH Cloverleaf

For the spacer, I know that my 1050 isn't flowing enough air into the motor, and have been told the Wilson adds substacial CFMs, however, I saw a comparison where the HVH out performed the Wilson... Just looking for opinions here.

Thanks,
JL
For starters...

This is entirely the wrong site to be asking these questions. You should be checking out DragRaceResults.Com Your Home For News & Results in Sportsman Racing!! It is populated entirely by sportsman racers and has an awesome Tech section.

Now to answer your questions...

1. If you're strictly looking at the Biondo or Dedenbear then go with the Biondo! I have used them for years and will not use anything else in my personal cars. For another option, I really like the K&R box too. If I didn't have so much experience with the Biondo I'd consider the K&R.

2. My good friend Tom Bayer loves his Toyos. My even better friend Jack Beckman loves his Mickeys. I'm more than partial to my Goodyears, and here's why...

I run the Goodyear D-6 compound in either their 33x16 2052's or 33x14.5 2070's. The D-6 compound is the best all weather compound tire I have ever used. They hook consistently whether it's 40 degrees or 115 degrees. They work great on my 230" small block powered slip joint car that runs 7.50's at 180.

3. On the spacer it's really going to depend on what your motor wants. It will depend greatly on how good your heads and/or manifold are. The less efficient they are the more effective the spacer will be because it will improve the signal strength for the carb. The 2" Super Sucker will increase the plenum size over the 1" Wilson and will probably help upper RPM a little more. Both spacers should help lower RPM performance through increased signal.

Drop me a PM if you have any other questions.

... We found M/T to be the best in consistency. They weren't the tackiest (Goodyear was) but they were a close second, lasted longer than Goodyear, and were more predictable. The Hoosiers (as others have said) lasted the longest but for whatever reason, our car couldn't 60 with them. M/Ts were always worth a little ET so they presented the best value to us but if longevity is what you want, Hoosier was the winner there. Again this was some time ago so a lot might have changed... we still trust M/T. ...
Scott,

Did you change your burnout when you changed brand of tires?

I hear a lot of racer complain about the Goodyears not lasting... it's because they do the same burnout with the Goodyears that they do with the Mickeys or Hoosiers.

Goodyears DO NOT need much burnout at all. The only thing a big burnout does for the Goodyears is kill the side walls and shorten the tire life.

Door cars are a whole different world from the bracket dragster too.

Justin,

One thing to consider...

What works on a door car or a suspended dragster will not necessarily work on your slip joint car... particularly in the realm of tires. Certain brands need a lot more "hit" that can only be accomplished with suspension.

Scott,

Did you change your burnout when you changed brand of tires?

I hear a lot of racer complain about the Goodyears not lasting... it's because they do the same burnout with the Goodyears that they do with the Mickeys or Hoosiers.

Goodyears DO NOT need much burnout at all. The only thing a big burnout does for the Goodyears is kill the side walls and shorten the tire life.

Door cars are a whole different world from the bracket dragster too.

Greg,
We did alter burnout when testing and I do remember finding that the we could get away with less burnout on the Goodyears. But for our application they still didn't last with the size we were restricted to. But I agree that doorcars (especially 10.5" outlaw style cars like ours) are in a different world compared to a bracket dragster and maybe my comments are completely off the mark for Justin's setup. I just wanted to share what we saw. Thanks for the insight about Goodyears, I always enjoy reading your comments.

Greg,
We did alter burnout when testing and I do remember finding that the we could get away with less burnout on the Goodyears. But for our application they still didn't last with the size we were restricted to. But I agree that doorcars (especially 10.5" outlaw style cars like ours) are in a different world compared to a bracket dragster and maybe my comments are completely off the mark for Justin's setup. I just wanted to share what we saw. Thanks for the insight about Goodyears, I always enjoy reading your comments.
Scott,

Thanks! It's nice trading post with people who can relate. You 10.5" Outlaw guys are definitely a lot harder on tires than most people! The weight of the car alone coupled with 1.0x 60' times is brutal on the side wall of the tire. A lot of people don't realize that it is typically the side wall that goes away on the tire before the tread surface gets to the point of being worn out. Once the sidewall goes away the tire is done.

I can see why Hoosiers worked best for you as they typically have a much heavier side wall than the Goodyears.

Justin, one thing not mentioned about the Mega 450 is that it can switch back and forth between a pro set up and a bracket setup.
If you ever double enter at a track and run a sportsman tree and a pro tree on the same day it will eliminate having to change delay and TS settings.
Blake and I happen to like the Goodyear's. Like Greg Stanley stated, do not need much of a burn out. Work well in all types of temp.
You will get a lot more experienced racers opinion on dragraceresults.com or my new favorite 1320 tech talk.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back