Opinions Needed (1 Viewer)

JL

Nitro Member
It's time to spend that Christmas cash and upgrade the dragster. I need some opinions from the Mater family...

I run a bracket dragster which run's 7.90's. It is a slip joint with a 555 BBC (Dart 360 Heads, block and intake)

1st - Delay Box - Biondo Mega 450 or Dedenbear CC3 - Why?

2nd - Tires - Toyo 33x16x15, MT's, Hoosiers or Goodyears - Why?

3rd - Carb Spacer - Wilson 1" Cloverleaf or 2" Super Sucker HVH Cloverleaf

For the spacer, I know that my 1050 isn't flowing enough air into the motor, and have been told the Wilson adds substacial CFMs, however, I saw a comparison where the HVH out performed the Wilson... Just looking for opinions here.

Thanks,
JL

OR...... You could just sell the Chevy stuff and get a VW Paradise super duper double throw down turbo alky motor and run with us! LOL! :D Hope you had a Merry Christmas Justin, see ya at Firebird for the PRA opener?

It's time to spend that Christmas cash and upgrade the dragster. I need some opinions from the Mater family...

I run a bracket dragster which run's 7.90's. It is a slip joint with a 555 BBC (Dart 360 Heads, block and intake)

For the spacer, I know that my 1050 isn't flowing enough air into the motor, and have been told the Wilson adds substacial CFMs, however, I saw a comparison where the HVH out performed the Wilson... Just looking for opinions here.

Thanks,
JL

As far as the Delay Box--We run the Mega 450 on 3 of our cars, and the only negative thing I hae to say about it, is that the sun has a tendancy to black out the screen if you don't cover it. Throw your jacket over the dash, and you are all set!

The Dedenbear (older version) was a little harder to learn and I had an incident where sand got stuck in the buttons. The mega is flat buttoned so that helps.

Tires---I run Toyos on the Roadster, Hoosiers on the Diggers, and have seen no difference in the Toyos to the Hoosiers, other than I'm not sure what the contingency is on the Toyos. The Hoosiers, there are two different compounds and the only difference I've noticed between the compounds is that one picks up more rocks and one takes a shorter burnout to get the tackiness (I think that's the 'dragster' compound, where as the other is a door car compound).

I can't help you on the carb issue :)

Jenn, I knew you would chime in... Thanks.

Gary - Wouldn't miss it, and would happy to put one of those bad boys between the rails...

Jenn, I knew you would chime in... Thanks.
I just have a tendency to buy the same of everything because we have the four cars and it eliminates me having to learn different systems from going from car to car.

The Toyos, I have a few new sets in the shop that I haven't put on yet. One of those "I bought them just because they were on sale things".

If you are looking for Hoosiers, PM me, I know a guy who gets them to me at a good price.

Justin, man I am glad you asked these questions. As I have no experience with any of the top items, we will go to the heart of the Mater,,,errr,,Matter. :p

Ok, Call favorite chassis shop, and loose about 100 inches, have them put the engine back in front where God intended, go with the common spacer in your favorite size,,mine is 1471 with lots of overdrive, and the delay box becomes an unimportant doo-dad. ;) :D

Oh yeah,,,run M/T's they are the best tire on the planet. :cool:

Rapid {what were the questions again??}

LOL..well..you asked Justin.

Great advice..as always Jenn.

Gary's advice is good as well don't you think?:

OR...... You could just sell the Chevy stuff and get a VW Paradise super duper double throw down turbo alky motor and run with us! LOL! Hope you had a Merry Christmas Justin, see ya at Firebird for the PRA opener?

Cracked me up..LOL But Gary has a point!!

Stick with Jenn, Justin..unless you want to follow Rapid..hmm?

Justin, man I am glad you asked these questions. As I have no experience with any of the top items, we will go to the heart of the Mater,,,errr,,Matter. :p

Ok, Call favorite chassis shop, and loose about 100 inches, have them put the engine back in front where God intended, go with the common spacer in your favorite size,,mine is 1471 with lots of overdrive, and the delay box becomes an unimportant doo-dad. ;) :D

Sure give the guy is own web site and everything must be purple.... PS like the web site..

Ok, Call favorite chassis shop, and loose about 100 inches, have them put the engine back in front where God intended, go with the common spacer in your favorite size,,mine is 1471 with lots of overdrive, and the delay box becomes an unimportant doo-dad. :D

LOL, I was just gonna say "Sell the whole thing and go nostalgia racing!" Don't stop at pro mod. What Randy said but, change the blower to 6-71, add nitro, put a cave on it. :D

Justin, I can't help you with your original questions but I can say this:
Get rid of that Fram HP4 ASAP! Everything I've been hearing of late leads me to say just say no to Fram.

Thanks,
JL

Delay box? - Pro Cube!!! So easy to use and doesn't take up much space! But my husband uses the Mega 450...and likes his too.

Tires - HOOSIER!! - Go with the C06 compound. Works great on every track we have been on. We've used them all.....but have been able to get the most for our $$ out of Hoosier tires. Last set I had lasted 2 seasons.....and that was a LOT! One of the last races that I used that set was a national event win...so they were still working pretty good...when I deceided to finally "treat" myself and get a new set at the final national event.

Spacer - 1" should be enough....that's what we run on ours.....but I say...get rid of the carb and go with a Flying Toilet! Absolutley deadly...and SO easy to work with. Wish we still had our used one...since we're stepping up to a twin terminator set-up for our new TD. We ran toliets on both of our dragsters....I will still run it on mine. Great for bracket or throttle stop racing.

Hope that helps.........and have fun shopping!

All this talk makes me WANTT BACK OUT THERE NOW!!!! :D

Last edited:
Justin, I can't help you with your original questions but I can say this:
Get rid of that Fram HP4 ASAP! Everything I've been hearing of late leads me to say just say no to Fram.

We had to send the 40 that we had on the shelf back to Fram. They told us the problem was with the o-ring. Not sure if it was a bad batch or what.

I agree with Kathy on the first two. We run a Mega 450 on one car and a ProCube on the other. The ProCube is slightly more intuitive out of the box, but both are easy to do the basics with. The ProCube is much smaller.

I've got Goodyears and Hoosiers, and I've been happy with both under different conditions. Hoosiers are probably my "all around single set of tires for the season for the money" choice.

I don't know what kind of RPM you are turning at the top of the track, but I'd be surprised if the holes in that 1050 are big enough. Using the old formula off of the Holley site . . . cu in x max rpm / 3456 = carb cfm. On our top dragster we are 572 x 7800 / 3456 = 1290 cfm . . . I used this calc to start experimenting with dual fours (which had a decent learning curve for me, but was fun to sort out) and saw a pretty decent pick up over a single 4500/1150.

I've enjoyed spending a fair bit of my improvement money on Racepak stuff. Even the basic system gives you a lot of information you'd spend lots of time guessing at otherwise.

Hey Billy, I will be very interested to talk with you about that... Based on everyone's feedback, I think I will be going with the Mega 450 and Hoosiers. Thanks everyone.

Jenn, I will give Denton a call when I get back to AZ. Thanks again.

Justin,
I don't know how much you'd trust comments from a doorcar guy but I will share what we've found on our team.

I can't comment on the delay boxes except that the Biondos are great racers and I would think they apply a lot of their experience into their products.

On the tires, we did a lot of testing with Goodyears, Hoosiers, and M/Ts about 7 years ago for our 10.5" car. We found M/T to be the best in consistency. They weren't the tackiest (Goodyear was) but they were a close second, lasted longer than Goodyear, and were more predictable. The Hoosiers (as others have said) lasted the longest but for whatever reason, our car couldn't 60 with them. M/Ts were always worth a little ET so they presented the best value to us but if longevity is what you want, Hoosier was the winner there. Again this was some time ago so a lot might have changed... we still trust M/T.

For the spacers, it depends on what you want out of it. Note that Wilson also makes a 2" and HVH also makes a 1". We've tried both brands on several applications and found no real difference between the Wilson or HVH design. Maybe it's there if you dyno it, but on the track given a 1" Wilson -vs- 1" HVH I couldn't tell you by looking at the timeslip. However, between a 1" or 2" spacer there is a difference. It comes down to adding volume to your plenum (making the carb 'appear' larger) and also adding height between the carb bottom and the floor of the manifold to give the mixture an easier path to follow (think gradual turn -vs- sharp turn). The best thing about the cloverleafs is that they add the height and also seem to help the signal to the boosters which a standard open spacer doesn't do. Without knowing anything more about your combo (cam, ported heads?, gearing, weight, etc.) I would 'guess' a 1" will give you better midrange and the 2" will give you better topend. I couldn't predict what the effects to ET might be but both should help. We always found ET after adding one but it did take some tuning. From a bracket racing standpoint, be ready to play with jetting, timing, and probably converter to find the consistent set-up again. You might also have to adjust your throttle stop settings (if you use one) because the spacer will alter how the car comes off of it.

Best of luck to you in 2008. I really miss racing at Speedworld and Firebird.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back