Ok... Call your shot!!! Who's gonna win it? (1 Viewer)

Relating to this... does it bother anyone when ESPN calls WINSTON champs like Shirley, Garlits and Amato PowerAID champs?

Everybody does it, not just ESPN. NASCAR calls people the "Sprint Cup Champion" from the last century, which is the same nonsense. Don't know if it's the tobacco ban, or something else, but I agree it's silly.

Put down the kool-aid, sir. I think you've had enough.

No kool-aid, I actually like the concept of the Countdown. I think you should stick with making the Sam Show vs. telling me what to do. You provide much humor to the message boards, more then you will ever know.

Top Fuel

1. Tony Shoe- Duh
2. Larry Dixon- Larry gets a win and makes a surprise showing
3. Antron Brown- AB goes rounds but just not enough
4. Cory Mac- Gets better as it gets cooler
5. HR Fuller- Dream season of last year just can't be duplicated

FC

1. Robert Hight- Wins Vegas and Pomona to close the year on the fast tracks
2. Wilk- Right there to the end, it will come down to a face off with RH at Pomona
3. Mike Neff- I think they can pull off a win and leap frog a couple guys. John Medlen will get some help from above when it counts the most.
4. Tony Pedregon- Makes a good run, but can't repeat
5. Ashley Force- Goes just enough rounds to stay top 5.

P.S.

1. DC- Takes out GA several times when it counts.
2. GA- Just can't beat DC
3. Jeg- Good car, but not a #1 car
4. KJ- Will get another win, but will have too many early losses
5. Mike E- Reaction times get him a top 5.

T/F- AJ, er Schumacher by a mile. Antron, Cory finishes third ahead of Dixon.

F/C- Bob Hight followed by Cruz, Tony and then John or Ashley.

P/S- Connolly, KJ and the two Summit cars finish third and fourth.

No kool-aid, I actually like the concept of the Countdown. I think you should stick with making the Sam Show vs. telling me what to do. You provide much humor to the message boards, more then you will ever know.

First off, I stopped making "The Sam Show" because of too many negative comments.

Second I was being sarcastic. No need for the cheap shot.

I don't know how it is in NHRA, but I do know that in NASCAR when Sprint/Nextel tookover title rights from Winston, part of that acquisition was past title rights and likeness rights. The move is made to keep Nextel's name out front and prevent confusion with new fans. For instance, Jeff Gordon has never won a Nextel Cup, but with Nextel (should read Sprint) footing the bill now, they don't want one of their biggest stars being referred to as a Winston Champion ... hence 4 time Nextel (should read Sprint) Cup Champion Jeff Gordon.

Last edited:
t. schumacher
t. wilkerson
d. connolly
a. hines

FC decided at pomona against one of ped. brothers.
other classes will not be as close.

Actually, he is the 4 time SPRINT Cup Champ. :)

Ain't Sprint Cup Cars, World of Outlaws without the Big Wing on the cage?

I liked it Best when NASCAR's Big Show was called GRAND NATIONAL... yeah, pre '72... you know, like when #43 won 27 in one season:eek:

d'kid

Everybody does it, not just ESPN. NASCAR calls people the "Sprint Cup Champion" from the last century, which is the same nonsense. Don't know if it's the tobacco ban, or something else, but I agree it's silly.
Unfortanately its business........If it was me id just say former World Champion

Top Fuel:
Schumacher
Brown
Dixon
Kalitta

Funny Car:
Beckman
Wilkerson
Hight
Cruz Pedregon

Pro Stock:
Connolly
Johnson
Anderson
Coughlin

PS Motorcycle:
Smith
Hines
Sampey
Ellis

I'd say Smith and Hines are going to come out pretty close and Pro Stock is going to be pretty tight race. I'd like to see John or Ashley get close to the title but I'm not so sure that will happen....stay tuned :D

I always wanted Wilkerson to win it, but I think he's peaked already!

FC-Jack Beckman
TF-Shoe
PS-Anderson

I also would set the odds on T. Schu at 6/5, darn near even money.

Timmah, I would bet on TSchu at those odds, because you could still make money.

I set the money line in my post at -950 (essentially negative odds in the 1/10 range) because he is such an overwhelming favorite. What -950 means is that you would have to bet 950 dollars to win a hundred. :eek: Yup, it's that slim of a chance for everyone else in Top Fuel folks.

(assuming AJ sees out the season, which all indications are he will)

well.....oh why bother:D

Oh don't be that way PJ! Pick em. We all pick em in your game!

I tossed darts at all the names and here's who got stuck....

TF- Schu, the only cat to put money on, but sentiment says Larry, Larry, Larry!

FC- It's all sentiment here too...but the only 2 I'd count out (watch one of them win it all) are Capps and Neff. That said, Go Wilk, be the man!

PS- DC, hand him the check right now.

PSB- I never have had a dog in this hunt, but for conversations sake...Eddie Krawiec. It could happen. I know, I'm stupid.

One more prediction, Zappy and I will be in Charlotte for 2 weeks, waiting on Hannah, and Ike to blow away!

Ain't Sprint Cup Cars, World of Outlaws without the Big Wing on the cage?

Haha Karl - close but no cigar!!
Sprint cars, not to be confused with Sprint Cup Cars....Gordon wasn't the greatest in sprint cars...just so-so...and you want to talk Big Wings on sprint cars - here ya go. Taken at Reading Fairgrounds (now a shopping mall) circa 1979

jimbigwing.jpg

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back