No winner in Torco Race Fuels Nitro Funny Car? (1 Viewer)

Wes

Nitro Member
Ok...this is a common occurence in bracket racing at the local level (and even at big money races), but when was the last time the finalists at a national event in a Pro category decided to split the purse and not run for a win? I can totally understand Scott and Gary's desire to get the teams to Indy, but how can IHRA allow that to happen? For a series that is striving for credibility and "equality" in the eyes of the media and fans, not running the final of NFC is a big mistake. Just who the hell is in charge there anymore?

if i was a fan there, i'd be angry. how can you just let the drivers dictate the finals? why not just split the purse evenly from the get go? most guys would go home with more money than if they ran the race. sounds like a bunch of bologna.

If the two finalist can't make the call Monday morning, there shouldn't be a winner nor r/u. Or declare the winner based on et in the semi's, just my . 02cents. If Scott can't make the call, how about Hillary?

It's a double-no-show, no winner. The two finalists have other commitments Monday and cannot stay. Absent a specific rule to deal with the situation, there's not much IHRA could do - if it was my option, I would pay both semifinals money and points since there was no final round, but I think IHRA agreed to split the final round purse between them.

I know the Kalitta team wanted to get the Solara body repaired for Indy, not sure why Densham was unable to stay until tomorrow morning.

There was a rumor that Hillary Will was also leaving, but that rumor is untrue.

As for the spectators, I doubt there will be very many of them tomorrow. Those that do show up will get to see good finals in Pro Mod and Pro Stock - and a whole bunch of Sportsman competition.

I agree that does suck for the fans, but given the circumstances what can IHRA do about it? They can't Force the racers to run!:rolleyes:

How is this going to look on SPEED Channel? Norwalk is IHRA's Indy...and no final in the year's biggest story for the series? That certainly doesn't induce new fans to buy tickets, does it?

Rest assured, Bader family, NHRA won't let John Force and Ron Capps forego the final due to "committments."

I agree, it's BS. The fans that can show up for Monday are screwed!!!!!!
I'd be pissed. Get the guys that lost in the semi-finals to run for the win. I'd bet they are not too busy to run the final.

Looks like another rain-out this morning.
Just have everyone draw straws for the cash and trophies.

that does suck.

What do they do about the points then??

Well, it looks like this is one of the casualties of not running overlapping races (ie: on different weekends from NHRA) as it allowed two NHRA regulars the opportunity to come over on an off weekend and make some money (??). Unfortunately the final was not between two IHRA-only teams, and with INDY looming so close, I'm sure that Densham & Kalitta could not cut into their time (and prior committments) in preparing for INDY. It sucks for the IHRA fans, but then again, how many would be coming back for the finals anyway. The real crummy deal was that IHRA had no rule to say they couldn't do what they did, split the Winner & Runner-Up purses between the two of them and declare no Winner for Nitro Funny Car. If the rain-delay continues this morning, I can see Hillary Will not returning too, although if she is the only one to forfeit the Final, then Doug Foley would get the win. Sucks for Hillary as she was looking strong. Two Finals in 2 weekends. Not a bad way to get ready for the NHRA U.S. Nationals, huh?

Both get semifinals points, so Densham gave up 40 easy points and fourth place in the points. He will leave here in fifth place - and IHRA only pays the top five in points this year.

IHRA could have paid just the semifinals money to the two, but took the high road and paid the full final-round purse.

Last edited:
IHRA could have paid just the semifinals money to the two, but took the high road and paid the full final-round purse.

Good Point!

The loser's in this is of course the fans, but we all know we don't control mother nature and sometimes these scenarios happen. Good on IHRA for taking the high road like they did, especially with Indy coming around the corner.

I was quite surprised to see that too... I chalk it up to Mother Nature and a non-overlapping schedule which allowed many NHRA regulars to come play at Norwalk. I think it's quite a bummer to not have a winner and if I were a fan there I'd be feeling pretty cheated out of seeing the final. That's the problem with "ringers" from NHRA coming over - not only do they mess up the points (by collecting points towards a championship they're not involved in), there's also this possibility.

Hmm... <putting on conspiracy cap> it couldn't have anything to do with Norwalk's purported switch to NHRA for next year, could it? No, it's just coincidence...

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back