NO Top Fuel 2nd round qualifying at Sonoma (1 Viewer)

The Little Lizard

Nitro Member
NO Top Fuel Dragster 2nd round qualifying at Sonoma

It seems that the program has run behind at Sonoma today Friday July 16, 2010, and NHRA has decided due to the 10:00 P.M. curfew that they would only be able to get maybe at most half of the Top Fuel Dragster 2nd round qualifying complete. Thus, NHRA has made the decision to not run the whole second round of Top Fuel dragster that was scheduled for July 16, 2010 at 7:15 P.M. .That's a real stinger as their will be no Top Fuel dragster night action for this event.:(

Last edited:
That sucks for the fans, but when the town isn't flexible there isn't much you can do. I feel lucky that I watched a fuel session this year in Joliet that didn't end until almost midnight.

Poor scheduling by NHRA. For the Friday schedule they only allowed one hour for first round of qualifying for Funny Car and Top Fuel combined. A round of both never takes one hour. Typically 90 minutes is scheduled. After first round of qualifying they then burned another hour with Stock and Top Sportsman. If they planned it better they could have got the round in for Top Fuel.

I wonder if the cold had something to do with it-it got VERY cold (I left after Pro Stock and the air temp was 59 degrees) and a lot of the Funny Cars didn't run well. (Some did like Force, Beckman.)

Could have been the clean up after Teach's pass had something to do with it too... 4.103 and the body turned to confetti...

d'kid

From Mark Rebilas

35309_449882041521_501006521_6120183_334323_n.jpg

Could have been the clean up after Teach's pass had something to do with it too... 4.103 and the body turned to confetti...

d'kid
I'm sure that took some time to clean up. The teach made a nice pass though until the explosion. It's a good thing Arend has nerves of steel because he is in the other lane of a lot of mishaps. He had to dodge body parts from Bode's explosion at Indy last year, then Hight ran in to him at the 4 wide, and now the teach showers him with body part's.

d'kid

I didn't time them but the bikes second session seemed to take forever to complete, almost every pair one would have a problem and come up well short of the turn out gate and had to be retrieved. There were even a couple of clean ups for bikes. Heard way to much of the T-shirt shooting loudmouth.

We bailed during pro stock it got too cold and windy to be fun.

they cancelled super stock and super comp 2nd (or 3rd) session to make up time, looks like that didn't help ether. I lasted till Denshem made a great pass and left to get my jacket. When we got to the car, I heard the the curfew was coming.

I'm sure that took some time to clean up. The teach made a nice pass though until the explosion. It's a good thing Arend has nerves of steel because he is in the other lane of a lot of mishaps. He had to dodge body parts from Bode's explosion at Indy last year, then Hight ran in to him at the 4 wide, and now the teach showers him with body part's.

And head ran into him at Topeka after Head's engine went kablooie.

I forgot about that one, and it was one of the worst ones.

I was at that race, but was out in the parking area eating bratwurst that we brought when the action went down. Didn't want to pay race park prices. Tickets were bad enough. I've learned. Stay in the park and see the action.

Speaking of prices (new thread?), at least NHRA is not charging as much for their tickets as football teams are for theirs. Or concert tickets. I paid close to $100 for Rush tickets, and they are crappy seats!

I didn't time them but the bikes second session seemed to take forever to complete, almost every pair one would have a problem and come up well short of the turn out gate and had to be retrieved. There were even a couple of clean ups for bikes. Heard way to much of the T-shirt shooting loudmouth.

We bailed during pro stock it got too cold and windy to be fun.
;)Too cold ?? Kevin, should we send you some of the endless near 100 degree heat and high humidity weather we have been experiencing in the east for the last 2 weeks?

I'll trade you !!

Never understood these curfews. Gosh; if golf courses & cemetaries & churches can get special permits to give city watering restrictions the finger left and right..... you'd think that between NASCAR & NHRA something could be worked out for 2 days a year so they could make these racing events happen so people leave the grounds happy. They need a contingent plan.

Never understood these curfews. Gosh; if golf courses & cemetaries & churches can get special permits to give city watering restrictions the finger left and right..... you'd think that between NASCAR & NHRA something could be worked out for 2 days a year so they could make these racing events happen so people leave the grounds happy. They need a contingent plan.

The story is a retired judge with plenty of connections and influence is one of the handful of nearby neighbors. Yes I think the track was there first but that doesn't seem to carry enough weight.

I remember the first few years the event was four days long with sportsman running Thursday making more room on Friday / Saturday / Sunday schedules. I'm not sure that Seattle and Denver were on the schedule then.

;)Too cold ?? Kevin, should we send you some of the endless near 100 degree heat and high humidity weather we have been experiencing in the east for the last 2 weeks?

I'll trade you !!

I sympathize on heat and humidity!

We quite often get big differences between day and night. It was about 90 degrees yesterday afternoon, cooled to 57 degrees with a 20-30 mph "breeze" in the evening. Not intolerable, we dressed in layers. But the pace of the event was really slow, Bob Frey even commented apologetically over the PA. Sitting there and literally chilling between runs just wasn't fun. :(

And I looked at my watch and calculated the show was going to be cut short anyway. Here are my pictures of Friday's activities.

Maybe they should find out who that judge is and...
give that man the best tickets available.
He might just start enjoying drag racing.
It's a shame that these cities get to enjoy the tax revenue from such an event yet make rules that work against the very people that pay those taxes.
I live in a city just like that.

They must have scheduled the 1st session later in the Afternoon. With No Alky Cars or Pro mods there's No excuse for that much downtime!

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back